MTB for Mrs

Associate
do you need a mtb or just a hybrid? what kinda riding?

£350 is possibly a tall order for any semi-capable mtb. I wouldn't worry about women specific, just get the best components/frame possible for her size.

Voodoo from Halfords is usually regarded better than Carrera, but they now start at about £450 (unless you can find a sale after the lockdown).

Go Outdoor's Calibre range is also well regarded and it looks like there's one in the budget...
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15904161/calibre-saw-mountain-bike-15904161/

Could also look at Decathlon, as they have a few cheaper options.

Associate
OP
do you need a mtb or just a hybrid? what kinda riding?

£350 is possibly a tall order for any semi-capable mtb. I wouldn't worry about women specific, just get the best components/frame possible for her size.

Voodoo from Halfords is usually regarded better than Carrera, but they now start at about £450 (unless you can find a sale after the lockdown).

Go Outdoor's Calibre range is also well regarded and it looks like there's one in the budget...
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15904161/calibre-saw-mountain-bike-15904161/

Could also look at Decathlon, as they have a few cheaper options.
She just wants something for around the lakes and hills where we live. It's mostly trails and some muddy bits. Might be worth having a look at Decathlon....there is one down the road from us....that's if it's open. She doesn't want to spend more than that lol
https://www.merlincycles.com/ridley-blast-acera-mountain-bike-2019-118545.html isn't a bad deal for £350 but limited sizes... Lots of decent low budget bikes and equipment are out of stock everywhere and have been for some weeks!
Yeah it seems like they are out of stock everywhere, might be worth a wait till shops start opening again and stock comes back in.

Soldato
Associate
OP
The problem with really cheap bikes it you're basically buying a toy unless you spend a bit more, you certainly don't need to spend a fortune, but £300 for a hard tail MTB is really pushing it.

Some good suggestions above, also , this isn't too shabby for the price https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...n-mountain-bike---s-m-l-xl-frames-651472.html

You are right, will try and get her to spend some more ....... I myself have Vitus for £550 which is not too bad for entry level bike.

Associate
The problem with really cheap bikes it you're basically buying a toy unless you spend a bit more, you certainly don't need to spend a fortune, but £300 for a hard tail MTB is really pushing it.
"Toy" is probably the correct term, despite it potentially sounding snobbish/elitist.

A cheap bike will have minimal/no consideration in the design and build with regards to strength - so will either be heavy or not really suitable for long-term mtb use. (more like a hybrid and a grass field or canal path is as "off road" as it gets). Some cheap bikes are cheap steel (but not like a refined Ragley steel mtb) so will be heavy and prone to rust. Also cheap bikes will have awful components - HEAVY forks, rubbish brakes and a drive train that wears quickly and needs regular tweaking - I've seen all this in the past.

All in all, it makes for a less enjoyable experience. I went through this with my gf - 10+ years ago we both thought we'd get a cheap-ish mtb from Halfords and go out together. I did a bit of research and went for a Voodoo Bantu for £300ish but she didn't want to spend so much and got a £150 job. Her bike was SOOO much heavier than mine, a lot less comfortable and just not happy on anything away from a canal path, not to mention weighing a ton when you wanted to lift it in/out of the car, around turnstyles and just sluggish to peddle, not to mention it kept playing up with the cheap parts. Within 6 months I found a sport I loved and she was sick of it...

Today, it almost seems that £450-500 is now the cross over point for a "toy" vs a bottom-range hardtail. I would 100% suggest it's worth spending that little bit more to give her the best chance of enjoyment out of it, especially if you already have a semi-ok bike and you want to stick together.

Soldato
Yeh sorry I didn't intend to sound elitist or anything, just that the bottom end of the market bikes can be difficult to live with for all the reasons Dereks said. Cheap suspension forks can easily be a kilogram heavier than slightly better ones and they don't work too well either.

Considering all the components on the bike will be the cheapest, or not far off, the cumalitive effect of them all can make for an experience that could well just put you off riding.

A bit like buying a PC, it's worth knowing a little and doing some research so you know what your getting will suite your needs.

Back
Top Bottom