Multi input dac

Soldato
Sorry another "what dac" thread..

Currently running a smsl sd793-ii and I'm looking for a new dac.

Requirements are:

2x Optical in or 1x optical / 1x coax
1x line in or at a stretch aptx Bluetooth
Unamped Rca out for powered monitors
Decent headphone amp

Is there anything out there that meets the bill but without going nuts on cost?

Soldato
SMSL B1 seems to cover all those, with Bluetooth in rather than line in. Seems to be battery powered. Whether it can be just used with USB power input, I don't know.

I can't see many SMSL DACs that have both line out and line in. There's a T1, but that's a valve DAC/amp and nearly £300.

Topping D3, would fit the bill with line in and out, but it looks like that's only available from China on eBay. I've got a D2, which is pretty similar and it's been great.

Not sure what other manufacturers offer products similar to SMSL and Topping while being affordable, if indeed there are any. Schiit products are great and are good value, but if they have anything that did all of the above, it's not going to be cheap.

Soldato
OP
Looks like the B1 is Bluetooth receive only with the others outputting.

Will look at the topping, cheers :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh yes, you're right. I thought the optical and coaxial were also inputs. Seems odd with all the DACs SMSL do, they don't have something that has both line in and out.

Soldato
Oh yes, you're right. I thought the optical and coaxial were also inputs. Seems odd with all the DACs SMSL do, they don't have something that has both line in and out.

why would a dac have a line in? It becomes a DAC plus passthrough at that point, doesn't it? not saying DACs cant have a line input but that's more of a box ticking exercise, right?

sounds like neil would solve his issue if he stuck a 2in 1out RCA switchbox on the end of his sd793-ii so he can flick between the output from the dac and a second line level source. everything else the sd793-ii already does.

Soldato
why would a dac have a line in? It becomes a DAC plus passthrough at that point, doesn't it? not saying DACs cant have a line input but that's more of a box ticking exercise, right?

sounds like neil would solve his issue if he stuck a 2in 1out RCA switchbox on the end of his sd793-ii so he can flick between the output from the dac and a second line level source. everything else the sd793-ii already does.

Well yes, it would be just a passthrough connection. Depends on your point of view as to whether adding line-in on a DAC is just box ticking. Pointless input for those who don't need it, but there will be some who would want to make use of that. Such an input will probably appeal to people who want more than only just a DAC box and prefer a 'one box' solution without the clutter of an additional connection box.

Anyway; 2 in 1 out RCA switch box will certainly work if the OP wants to connect maybe something like a smartphone or tablet to his speakers, if they don't have an additional input. Damn sight cheaper too, than buying another DAC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom