Multi-monitor question

Associate
Hello OCUK

I've recently learned that my 14 month home working adventure is now permanent. I'm happy about this, and decided to celebrate by attaching a third monitor to my system.

However I've not got enough Displayports to allow everything to run at native, so want to check what the best option available is.

Hardware:

3080FE (3x DP, 1xHMDI)
2 X 1400p monitors (2560 x 1440) (only one of which has HDMI.), currently using 2 DP
1 x 1200p monitor (1920 x 1200) - no HDMI, jut DP, DVI and D-Sub. This is the extra monitor I'm trying to add.
1 x HP Reverb G2, currently using the other DP

One of the 1440p monitors has 144Hz refresh rate & Gsync, this is the 'Main' one that I play games on.

The aim is to get everything running well, at native res, with no need to plug/unplug. I can't see a way, without an extra purchase. So questions:

Would an active DP > HDMI adaptor allow the only monitor I have with HDMI to run at it's native 1440p?
Alternatively, is there some sort of switch which would allow the DP to be switched between the monitor and the Reverb G2? If so, what am I looking for, and how much would it cost?

Is there another method I've not thought of which would allow things to work as I need them to?

Cheers!

Soldato
Is there another method I've not thought of which would allow things to work as I need them to?
Yes, use a HDMI to DVI cable or passive adapter to connect the monitor via it's DVI port, will set you back £5 or less.

HDMI is essentially a slimmed down DVI connector with the extra pins for carrying VGA removed, you can pretty much convert to/from HDMI/DVI input/output without any conversation it's just a different connector type.

Associate
OP
Yes, use a HDMI to DVI cable or passive adapter to connect the monitor via it's DVI port, will set you back £5 or less.

HDMI is essentially a slimmed down DVI connector with the extra pins for carrying VGA removed, you can pretty much convert to/from HDMI/DVI input/output without any conversation it's just a different connector type.

What's the max resolution over DVI? Will it be happy with 1200p over HDMI > DVI?

Associate
OP
Thanks all. Simple once I understood what was needed (one of the many HDMI > DVI adaptors in my big blue box of cr*p :) )

Got 3 monitors working nicely now, thanks again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom