• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Multi Monitor with new + old GPU's

Soldato
I have a R9 290 that I use to run my 144hz monitor

I also have a very old ATI 3450 GPU that I would like to use to run my two old VGA monitors. I have installed the latest drivers for the 290 and the older drivers for the 3450, but this does not work.

Any body have any experience with this?

Soldato
I think the problem you'll have is that newer AMD drivers don't support the old 3450, and older AMD drivers that do won't support the 290. If you can find a driver that supports both, it'll work but I don't think you will.

Weirdly, this will work fine if you mix an AMD card and an Nvidia one (or an AMD/Nvidia with an Intel on-board GPU) because AMD & Nvidia drivers can in theory co-exist since Vista was released, but you can't install two different AMD drivers because one will overwrite the other.

Don
I think the problem you'll have is that newer AMD drivers don't support the old 3450, and older AMD drivers that do won't support the 290. If you can find a driver that supports both, it'll work but I don't think you will.

Weirdly, this will work fine if you mix an AMD card and an Nvidia one (or an AMD/Nvidia with an Intel on-board GPU) because AMD & Nvidia drivers can in theory co-exist since Vista was released, but you can't install two different AMD drivers because one will overwrite the other.

Exactly this - the newer drivers don't have support for cards older than Radeon 7xxx series, and trying to install 2 different sets of Radeon drivers will likely lead to problems even with your 290X.

If you have Intel onboard, then that should support 1 VGA display, and the 290X should support 1 via a DVI-VGA adapter.

Caporegime
I’m using my 1070 with 3 monitors in Nvidia surround and my intel onboard graphics driving a 4th old school vga monitor, couldn’t get the 1070 to drive a forth monitor for love nor money with surround enabled on the other three, hope this kind of helps?

Back
Top Bottom