Multi Room - Best way

Soldato
So, we moved into new house in Feb. Now have a new bathroom and PC room will be finished soon.

Looking at adding a ceiling speaker to bathroom, likely one in the kitchen and likely add some speakers / amp to the Livingroom. (Main speakers in bedroom)

So looking at having the same music in the Bathroom / kitchen / bedroom.
They are all next to each other and cabling into ceiling is doable - Can get a 100m roll of decent copper cable.

Am I best just getting an amp with Zone2 and 3, wiring up the kitchen and bathroom to the main amp in the bedroom and having it all done from one place?

Looking at multi room (on the cheap using chromecasts) but if we are already using JRiver as a media player, I don't see the benefit versus just having speaker wire into a brushed socket in the wall going to bathroom/kitchen from the bedroom.

Means no need to login to a new app, can use existing setup and just adjust which zone is active at any one time.
Would ideally want volume adjustable for kitchen/bathroom independently from bedroom though.

Also Amps with Zone 2 AND 3 seem relatively rare so limiting choice somewhat.

So my question is do I:
1 - setup a form of multi-room
2 - Get an amp with Zone 2 and 3
3 - Get an amp with 1 additional Zone and use Pre-outs for a separate amp in kitchen

Caporegime
Yeah, Sonos.

I looked into a multi room amp and ceiling speakers in our house but Sonos ended up being cheaper, easier to deal with and far more user friendly.

Soldato
OP
Hehe, fair enough :D Looks like I know what'll be the Christmas prezzie.

/looks for Sonos amps to plug into ceiling speakers

EDIT - So, CONNECT:AMP in the kitchen, likely the bathroom too, seems a bit much to be stuck in a roof-space though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Came along to recommend Sonos as well but yeah, you've hit on 1 of 3 major downsides with Sonos:

1) No outside speaker
2) No ceiling mounted speaker
3) The Connect:AMPs are massively overpriced

Apart from that I can't get enough of them!

Caporegime
Yeah, the Amps are ridiculously expensive. If you can it may be worth seeing if you can set up a Play 1 in the bathroom instead. They are moisture resistant and designed for use in bathrooms. The problem is unlike North America plugging a device like this in IN the bathroom is a bit of a no no*. You may be able to get a plug set up outside the bathroom and put the power cable through the wall? :/

Also it's probably worth putting the amps all in the same place (or at least accessible places) and then trailing the cables from there for ceiling speakers. They stack I believe.

It may be the "best" option but it's not perfect unfortunately.

* Here I just installed a plug socket up on the wall specifically to plug the Play 1 into.

Soldato
OP
The problem is unlike North America plugging a device like this in IN the bathroom is a bit of a no no*.
I got them to install a plug socket outside the bathroom, with a blanked backbox above that without a beam between. So once done, they have signed off... Just drop a cable down and we have sockets inside :D

Play 1 might be a better idea as can then take it outside for BBQ or leave in kitchen mainly etc.

Ideally would like it playing the same as the main hifi but not willing to compromise on the amp for it. Can a PC have a Sonos app and act as a stream-able device? I doubt it.

Caporegime
Isn't that what the connect is for? Although I guess that's only so you can play music from Sonos through a dedicated hifi.

That said I believe there is an AUX IN in the back of the Play 5's (and possibly connects) so that may be what that's for?

EDIT: Yes, there you go - may be what you're looking for.

http://www.sonos.com/en/shop/connect.html

Line-in. Plug in any device you desire.
Play your amplified turntable through your Sonos system.
Stream your CDs and LPs to Sonos speakers in other rooms.

So you should be able to stream what you are playing on your Hifi to Sonos speakers around the house.

Although it sounds like you use your PC (there is a Sonos App for the PC) to stream to the hifi? Whether you can have two devices connected to the PC or whether perhaps you could daisy chain PC>HIFI>Connect?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom