1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple rads

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Alan1969, 29 Jul 2021.

1. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

1. yes, fittings for hardline are different than fittings for soft tubing
    2. tubing diameter has no measurable effect on flow. flow rate is determined by the pump. choose whichever size fits your eye.
    3. PETG is easier to bend and cut but also softens at a lower temperature so high coolant temps need to be avoided with PETG
    4. the screws are for the fans nothing to do with anything other than that.
    5. Quantum fittings are functionally no different. it's just about aesthetics. buy what you like and can afford.
    6. install what fits.

There are no "right" answers. Watercooling is about what you like.

If you bought a soft-tubing kit why not just use it?

2. Jay85

Sgarrista

3. Alan1969

Wise Guy

thanks both for the answers.

yes I am currently using the soft tubing kit - which i thought was very good - suprising how much stuff was in there. I will continue to use soft tubing even if I install a 2nd rad shortly. However in 18 months time when I get a new GPU and waterblock then perhaps I may like to have a go at hard tubing.

4. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

Relative merits of hardline vs soft tubing, a personal opinion:

Hardline looks great if done well
    Hardline requires draining for changing anything
    Hardline systems are generally more expensive to build and more difficult to build

Softline can look good too
    Softline is easier to manipulate when doing maintenance

There is ZERO difference in cooling.

5. Jay85

Sgarrista

If you plan your loop properly so it doesn't foul any components like ram, you can change them with ease. Alternatively QD's and hardline work well together as well but does make it rather expensive for the sake of convenience.

6. Alan1969

Wise Guy

what is QD's?

I am basically going down the custom loop route to reduce fan noise (lower fans speeds). And now I have a cpu loop I am thinking that I may as well add the most heat output (GPU).

7. Hakanese

Wise Guy

QD's are Quick Disconnects. Fittings that enable you to detach and remove parts of your loop without spillage. Handy for things like radiators, cpus and gpus, to help drainage and disassembley

8. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

QD helps with maintenance but the difficulty with hardline is that there's little "give" in the tube to allow the QD to disconnect.

9. Jay85

Sgarrista

I plan on using QD's for both cpu and gpu at some point, if you have all the disconnect points at a right angle you can effectively pull the tubing away from the components without the need to bend or require any "give" in the tubing. One thing i need to consider is the tubing run to compensate for this. Anything is possible with some careful planning and thought into it.

10. Alan1969

Wise Guy

whilst I wait for a next gen GPU (with better availability and price) + waterblock - I may have a go at adding a thicker rad to plan/try ahead. I am thinking that when I have a watercooled CPU and GPU that I could benefit from more than my 28mm x 360mm EK SE. It seems like a 45mm rad would fit well in my 011D on the roof and/or floor. I like my pc to white some white inside so that I can see the black components. Hence I see that there is this 45 x 360mm very white alphacool rad:

▷ Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360mm Trip… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) I may try this on my roof with my soft tubing (I may place my slim SE rad on the floor but not necessary just for an undervolted static 4.45 ghz @ 1.29v ryzen 3600XT).

I need to add some more coolant soon and having my reservoir horizontal rather than vertical (due to the length on my graphics card - it did fit vertical if I omit the first floor fan - see the first photo with clear coolant - I am thinking that a GPU waterblock will make the graphics card shorter in future and so wont have this problem in 18 months time).