Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
Afternoon all, ordered a Syma X4 to learn and play with over the winter period. Idea being if I can master that I will then look to progress into something bigger in the spring.

Does the X4 represent an accurate base to learn on? Are the basics of quadcopter flight accurately represented, albeit in a small package accurately?

Soldato
Afternoon all, ordered a Syma X4 to learn and play with over the winter period. Idea being if I can master that I will then look to progress into something bigger in the spring.

Does the X4 represent an accurate base to learn on? Are the basics of quadcopter flight accurately represented, albeit in a small package accurately?

Pretty much, you can set up the more sophisticated quads so they fly in almost the same way. But the only real difference will be when you learn to fly without a self level (can be toggled on and off), but essentially the fundamentals are the same, yes :D

Also, welcome to yet another money pit haha.

Associate
Associate
Anyone know what the Hobbyking FPV 250 spec kit is like? Can't decide if I should go for that or select my own parts and build from scratch?

Soldato
Woo hoo - DHL box arrived yesterday whilst I was away on business from hobbyking (better be gold plated with £50 shipping and £60 customs!!!)

Down side - it went to my neighbours house and they are away on holiday for 2 days now!!!! arrrghghhhghghg

Don
Just bought a DJI Inspire 1 for work - can't wait to get my hands on it!

I have one on the way too. For personal use though.
Apparently, we will be getting a hard case for it for free too. Good move by DJI.
When did you place the order? Everyone is anticipating long delays with shipment as even the first batch of pre-orders (mine included) haven't shipped yet. I'm not expecting to get my hands on it until January at the earliest to be honest.

What are your work planning to do with it? Are they aware of the regulations around aerial work?

Man of Honour
Because it is for work and we are a large project, the company I bought it from have put me on a priority list for when they receive delivery (which as you say are delayed owing to the anticipated influx). They suggested mid Dec - but it's not looking positive, I was hoping to get it before Christmas - but we shall see!

Got the twin controls too, spare 5700 batteries and chargers too.

Initially we are just going to trial it / do a feasibility study on their use within a construction/engineering industry to see how it can be used to enhance current working practices. Site inspections for example, progress overviews. Some of our sites can take a good 20min to walk across so this could give a good overview.

DJI are talking about releasing thermal imaging cameras for them too, which could be useful in terms of measuring concrete curing as well as providing other insights. Owing to its sonar ability we are also tempted to try them indoors and through tunnels.

However we have a long way to go before then - this is still relatively new tech for a bit of an archaic industry - we are slowly pushing the envelope of innovation in this field, and it's starting to percolate across the industry but all eyes are on us at the moment to produce some tangible results from our trials with various tech!

I will keep you guys updated :)

Don
Sounds very exciting. Bare in mind that your operators will have to do the BNUC-s or RPQ-s in order to obtain permission to undertake aerial work from the CAA.
The CAA are getting really hot on unlicensed commercial operators.

Soldato
I would imagine photos will be more useful for those purposes but the Inspire 1 only has a 12MP camera (and as we know megapixels isn't everything and the example photos don't look that great). Like you say useful for feasibility etc but I imagine you'll want to be carrying a DSLR before long. It's a never ending money pit!

We've been contacted by a few construction firms and contractors for site inspections/historical overviews too so there's definitely an advantage there.

Man of Honour
Yes it is an option and something we are considering - we just want to see what it is like first, and also just get the workforce used to them! The media team are interested in it as well. Once we've exploited its use in its current guise then we can see if there is any merit in continuing or expanding its use. This is still very new tech and I'd rather do it one stage at a time :)

Soldato
If you're planning on multiple staff using them then worth bearing in mind that each would need to do the courses Rilot mentioned at about £1,000 a pop and 3/4 days away. Your Operations Manual will need resubmitting with each new addition/removal of operators too (at cost) which can take a while to get approved.

You also need to name someone who's solely responsible for the airworthiness of the craft and equipment (and prove they can do this of course) which might get complex with lots of operators/national sites etc.

Just so you're aware! :)

Don
If you need any advice with setups etc then Russ and I have a fair bit of experience with the size of craft you will want eventually. I fly an S800 EVO and Russ flys an S1000.

As Russ says, a DSLR or micro 4/3 camera will suit you best I think. The GH4 is a storming camera and light enough that it can be flown on an S900, which is a lot cheaper than the S1000.

I fly a Sony NEX5 on my S800 EVO with a simple brushless gimbal that I have converted to allow the camera's lens to be zoomed remotely. This gives me 16-50mm of zoom which I can adjust on the fly while I'm in the air. This sort of setup might be better for you as you will be able to zoom in on areas of interest.

Man of Honour
If you're planning on multiple staff using them then worth bearing in mind that each would need to do the courses Rilot mentioned at about £1,000 a pop and 3/4 days away. Your Operations Manual will need resubmitting with each new addition/removal of operators too (at cost) which can take a while to get approved.

You also need to name someone who's solely responsible for the airworthiness of the craft and equipment (and prove they can do this of course) which might get complex with lots of operators/national sites etc.

Just so you're aware! :)

I was aware, but thank you for the reminder, I do need to update our project tracker with this info! :)

Fortunately I have a budget to cover a handful of people to be trained. :)

If you need any advice with setups etc then Russ and I have a fair bit of experience with the size of craft you will want eventually. I fly an S800 EVO and Russ flys an S1000.

As Russ says, a DSLR or micro 4/3 camera will suit you best I think. The GH4 is a storming camera and light enough that it can be flown on an S900, which is a lot cheaper than the S1000.

I fly a Sony NEX5 on my S800 EVO with a simple brushless gimbal that I have converted to allow the camera's lens to be zoomed remotely. This gives me 16-50mm of zoom which I can adjust on the fly while I'm in the air. This sort of setup might be better for you as you will be able to zoom in on areas of interest.

I will be sure to seek your advice (and may even invite you) as and when we are at that stage :)

Back
Top Bottom