Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Commissario
Just renewed my Operator ID.

Your operator ID has changed to GBR-xx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
The format for operator IDs changed when the new regulations for flying and operating drones and model aircraft were introduced at the end of 2020. This means your operator number has changed.

Except it hasn't changed. It's the same as last year :rolleyes:

(note, it's not really xx-xxx, I've hidden mine)

Soldato
Our work operator ID got changed from something relatively short to something much longer ... Going to be interesting to see if the label when printed fits on our Mavic 2 Pros without finding a different spot for it.

Soldato
I've been holding out for a mini 2 but recently reserved the original mini (fly more combo) for £254 from Argos. Can someone confirm if the DJI Fly app is the one needed for the mini and is it compatible with the S20 FE? Thanks.

Soldato
I'll stick with my ummagawd 2fiddy and mobula 6, both dont need registration and the mobula 6 can be flown anywhere and everywhere (except near an airport obviously) and with the new ExpressLRS radio protocol the range available on them is just bonkers (even the tinywhoop)

Soldato
No EASA or CAA C mark and so will only be able to fly in A3 airspace after December 2022. Seems like a bit of a poor investment if you ask me seeing as how it won't be very useful after just over 14 months.
DJI is intending to apply for certificate the moment it's possible.
https://dronedj.com/2021/11/05/dji-mavic-3-ce-class-label/

And under EASA rules Mavic 3, like any above 500 gram legacy drone already belongs to A3 operating category, unless pilot has A2 "license".
(transitory period upper weight limit for A1 operating is 500 grams)

Thats a shocking omission. I had assumed any new drone coming out now would have that
You're barking up the wrong tree.
DJI is innocent to fact that while legislation was ready and has been in full force for years, bureaucrats are apparently more interested on some lunch meetings than getting specs for drone class certification ready.
https://www.dronelicense.eu/blogs/news/cx-labels-in-2022
Two month ago I contacted Finnish EASA member organization and according to their info even technical specifications for remote ID weren't ready at that time and supposed to be maybe ready now.
But that work being outsourced to propably some consulting company who knows when its ready the way those consultants keep leeching money in this kind of projects.

Drone classes better be user appliable by firmware upgrade the way this transition has been screwed by those bureucrats.

Soldato

Skydio 2+ autonomous flight. Impressive :eek:
And still same old tiny 12MP sensor DJI should be now ditching from Mini.
That best of the class autonomy is the only thing Skydio has going for themselves.
In actual photo/video shooting Autel and DJI shred Skydio to pieces and pee on its grave.

No wonder Skydio keeps lobbying and pribing to prevent use of Autel/DJI drones in US for official uses.

Don
I'll be amazed if there is any retroactive certification. I just can't see how they can do it.
I bet all the drones will just get re-launched as certified versions after the deadline in December.

I hold an A2 license at the moment but I doubt I'll renew it. Once all the legacy stuff goes to A3 only I'll just fly sub 250g and be done with it.

Associate
I picked up a DJI Mini 2 from Very, with a 20% discount code and it may well be the best 'toy' I've ever purchased! The whole family is loving it. We took it out for the first time last weekend and I tried to get some panning shots of our dog Murphy. Suffice to say, a bit more practice and this is going to be amazing! :D

It was cold and it was windy, but the drone handled it so well.

Don
DJI just released the SDK for the Mini 2 and so apps like Litchi will be able to do tracking etc. with it. There is already a beta version of Litchi for Android that has been extensively covered by several of the drone reviewers on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom