Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Caporegime
Dji hiking their prices to the moon once again, near £900 for a mini ffs. The mini 2 was around £420, so doubled their prices for the sake of a touch screen in the controller that probably cost a tenner tops. :rolleyes:

£709 like for like though. Not everybody needs the flashy controller.

Plus there is a the mini 3 coming out which £120 cheaper so £589. Still a hike from the mini 2 but only £169.

Don
Indeed. Have you tried an Autel Nano Plus? The software is a mess. Great camera, so-so drone, poor software.
DJI seem to be pretty good camera, pretty good drone, pretty good software. I've had many DJI craft since I got in to drones (F550, F450, Phantom, Phantom 2, S800, S900, Inspire One, Mavic Pro, Air 2, Air 2S, Mini 2) and I'm always satisfied with the package as a whole. Kind of like Apple really. Not the best in all areas and they cost a premium, but the package as a whole is great.

Associate
No stock within 80 miles for me so glad I preordered for delivery today.
Nice one. Enjoy.
I originally ordered one from Amazon and today was the delivery date. But there wasn't any signs of it being delivered. So I got it from Argos and cancelled the Amazon order.
I still need to wait until Tuesday (fingers crossed) for the Fly More kit though.

General question to anyone: Where would you recommend buying public liability insurance from (Mini 3)?
I looked on the Go Compare site, it mentioned their policy covered any damage to the drone and to the other person's property. But no price was given.
fpvuk . org is £20 per year, but not sure if the drone is covered or just the other party.
Thanks.

Caporegime
Sadly I was late to the party and my fly more kit wont be here until the 30th May. they are harder to buy than the drone!

I used coverdrone last time I owned a DJI drone. covers more than public liability from memory

Soldato
You need a flyer ID and an operator ID. You need to display the operator ID on the craft.
The Mini 3 is <250g so can fly in many places heavier craft would require an A2 licence. It has a camera and so doesn't qualify as a toy unfortunately.

With regards to the controller; I've gone with the one with the screen. Much less faff and no need to worry about getting a call in the middle of a flight when using my phone.
Look at it this way, the basic RC is the same one that is used with the Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S, and Mavic 3. There are plenty on Ebay you can pick up and use if you find that the advanced controller is too heavy or large and you want to use your phone.

Says you dont need a Flyer ID on the CAA website the mini 3 is 249g rather confusing?

If your drone or model aircraft is below 250g or C0 class, the person flying it does not need a flyer ID.

Associate
Nice one. Enjoy.
I originally ordered one from Amazon and today was the delivery date. But there wasn't any signs of it being delivered. So I got it from Argos and cancelled the Amazon order.
I still need to wait until Tuesday (fingers crossed) for the Fly More kit though.

I ordered mine from Amazon and it should have been delivered today, but I got an email this morning saying there is a delay.
So I cancelled the Amazon order and have now ordered from Curry's with a delivery slot tomorrow.

Associate
I did a few test flights this sunny afternoon, with the standard controller and a Samsung S21 (I believe it has 1200 nit brightness), and couldn't really see the screen when I wasn't stood in the shade. So God knows what the controller with the inbuilt screen is going to be like.

Also I kept getting misty movies when testing. Just flying up and down, not moving forward. Is this normal?

Don
I really like the new RC. It's really nice. Feels good in the hands and the screen is nice and bright, but what the hell were they thinking changing the way the sticks mount? The new mount with the little (M2?) thread sticking out of the gimbals is just crying out to get snagged on something taking out of a bag and get snapped off.

Other first impressions:

The small battery is incredibly light. Lighter than the one from the Mini 2.
The startup sound is extremely musical compared to other DJI models. It's really rather pleasant compared to the quite pathetic set of beeps from the Mini 2, Air 2, etc. which always felt like the drone was complaining that it had been disturbed from it's sleep. At least it's not like the assault on the ears that was the Inspire 1 that positively punched you sonically when turned on.
Camera gimbal feels much more sturdy that the one on the Mini 2.
It's really ugly.
It's quite large - halfway between Mini 2 and Air 2S when unfolded.
Props are about an inch bigger than Mini 2.
The other wheel on the controller is entirely useless. It can only do zooming. I'd like it to be able to do EV instead please......
It's very quiet. Or, it might just be lower pitch because of the larger props.
Charges fast with USB-PD but doesn't seem to work with QC3 like the Mini 2 did. Annoying as I can't use the same charger I used for the Mini 2 and its battery dock. I have PD chargers kicking around but just an annoyance I guess.
Why does the RC have two USB-C ports? Did DJI have a marketing meeting and someone say "What are the kids all using these days? USB-C isn't it? Yeah, kids love them some USB-C. Tell you what, let's put 2 of them on the transmitter."
The MicroSD card slot is upside down.
The new gimbal protector is much better than the old one.
No prop bra thingie?
4:3 photos........ poo.

The screen is plenty bright enough. Easier to see in daylight than my iPhone 12 Pro Max despite being dimmer, but then that's a downside of OLED on phones I guess.

Caporegime
Second usb c is a host port only for connecting the optional Cellular Dongle and not for charging.

uses 4g to keep your controller and drone connected for both flying control and video. Apparently for when using it in cities with tall buildings.

Associate
I had intended to pick up a mini 3 Pro due to the 249g weight but I think by the time you add the new Looong operator (why have operators id's got ridiculously long this year?) id sticker and an ND filter to the lenses you're gonna be over 250g.
at that point might have well-gone air2s but then that hasn't been given its C rating so if you're gonna have to fly the legacy A3 category after December... might as well get something that uses up some of that 25kg take of weight for the A3.

waiting on an Autel Evo 2 Pro 6K to be delivered.

Back
Top Bottom