Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
Yeah it's pretty PnP especially on a barebones system like that. I presume you've already walked around your house holding your UAV with the goggles on? :p

Yep, we are now planning drinking games with cameras attached to hats behind our heads up side down! :)

Just went for a flight, great fun but I'm just flying very smoothly/slowly to get used to it :)

Associate
Thanks to Russ I'm ready for some FPV! :)

Nice install, very clean.

What motors did u get and where from the stock ones are good but require 4s with all the fpv gear. I was looking at the mini beasts from hk but don't think I can stand another 3 week wait for them to arrive!

whats ur All up weight inc battery

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks :), sometimes you just wish you had more than a tiny GoPro up there..

I see an arm extended F550 to F800 heavy lift upgrade coming with Sony Nex on the horizon though doubt it's worth the investment unless going commercial.

This hobby gets way to expensive when you start adding up how much you have sunk into it though... and deep down you know that it could all literally come crashing down in a instant :)

I think I have the best part of £2000 in that F550 when adding up everything.

I looked at the F550 yesterday after seeing your pics. It looks quite nice for £400 odd. Then as you say after you've added the other bits to it it soon mounts up.

Your crashing down comment is why Im too scared to take my Vision high. I did 300 ft a few days ago, a record for me :( :) Ive still got a gimbal to get, another battery (or 2) and either a new wifi extender or do a mod to extend video signal. Thats going to be close to £500.

Its a good hobby but 1 crash and you're in tears.

I also have to finish my FPV250 build. Just waiting on my receiver to turn up then its flyable (hopefully). Then eventually Ill be in the FPV gang like Genoma :)

Soldato
I'm running with RCX 1804s, HQ prop 5030s, weight is 594g with a 1500 3S lipo. I reckon I will loose around 100g rewiring it.

Yours is really neat and tidy. Mine looks like something I found in the bushes (which is half right :D)

WP_20140701_004.jpg

Soldato
Hey guys, wondering if someone can help me with the leds for my quad. I want to run two red and two blue (blue front, red rear) and it's been at least 10 years since i took gcse electronics so i'm a little rusty. It also doesn't help that the hobbyking product page gives no information about the leds either.

These are the ones i've bought, Blue and Red

Someone said power them off a 1s lipo, but my talon frame has very little space for mounting things so was hoping to run them off a BEC. I've got one of these on the way. I was also told that i could run two led's in series and run both series in parallel from the BEC.

Is that right or do i need to add a resistor in somewhere?

Associate
Ive had my little Hubsan for a bit now and want to move onto something a bit bigger. My only concern is the setup of the kit itself on a self build.

I quite like the idea of this:
F450
Along with Battery and Tx/Rx

But then, you can also get a pre-built rtf Here which comes all setup with gps/failsafe/low volts calibrated etc.
But its close to double in price!

Any thoughts/advice?

Soldato
Build your own. Fact is you will wreck it, its a flying machine after all. If you build it yourself you will have a far higher chance of fixing it/diagnosing faults. For me, 50% of the fun is tinkering on the bench

As for LEDs above, how about cheating and buying prewired 12v LEDs from eBay? :D there is also 12v SMD LED tape which is particularly good for multirotors

Serious answer

leds.jpg

400mw is PLENTY for purposes of spotting a quad in the air. 1w resistors are a must at minimum

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/696252061X35374X50.pdf

Would be worth buying a few values of resistor between 2.7 and 3.9Ohm and trying it out on breadboard before unleashing it on your quad. The BEC, LEDs and resistors will likely get quite hot

USUAL DISCLAIMER

I accept no responsibility for any damange caused to your electronics, worldly possessions or nearby kittens. Wire LEDs up at your own peril :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom