Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
I haven't played with any of the tracking workarounds yet. But that would be great if they work.

£21.99 for Litchi?

I bought 2yrs DJI Refresh, but I'm also thinking about public liability. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
I picked up a DJI Mini 2 from Very, with a 20% discount code and it may well be the best 'toy' I've ever purchased! The whole family is loving it. We took it out for the first time last weekend and I tried to get some panning shots of our dog Murphy. Suffice to say, a bit more practice and this is going to be amazing!

It was cold and it was windy, but the drone handled it so well.

Cold? That looks warm, almost hot.
From last week's Thursday to Tuesday I flew in all days except Monday and the warmest weather was -11C...
And in Tuesday it was "fresh" -24/25C.

Also with that many times in short duration I'm now starting to remember how RPAS flight plan is filled without checking instruction:
https://www.ais.fi/en/pre-flight-information-service-and-flight-plans/fpl-form

And remember to learn from the mistakes of others, your drone won't survive long enough to do them all:

Yours pilot in command. :D

Associate
Anyone got drone cover through the drone cover club? I'm about to buy some public liability and there's a field for a referral.

Soldato
Considering a drone for grabbing some footage when I'm up in the mountains. Total newb though (although I know cameras).

Needs to be as small as possible really when packed down....easy to assemble and launch.

Don
DJI Mini 2. It's the default answer really.
If you can't quite stretch to that then a Mini SE which is essentially a Mini 1 in the Mini 2's shell. Not as good as the Mini 2 (less range, not as good camera) but still a great little flier.

Caporegime
As rilot said, if you can afford it, nothing comes close to the DJI Mini 2. Perfect for hiking long distances with, you wont even realise its there.

The Mini 1 has been on offer recently in the fly more package at £225 and the mini 2 at £423 but they were all post xmas sales and have finished now but may pop up again.

the fly more packagesa re great value as you get 3 batteries and spare props and a bag to carry it all in

Soldato
DJI Mini 2. It's the default answer really.
If you can't quite stretch to that then a Mini SE which is essentially a Mini 1 in the Mini 2's shell. Not as good as the Mini 2 (less range, not as good camera) but still a great little flier.

As rilot said, if you can afford it, nothing comes close to the DJI Mini 2. Perfect for hiking long distances with, you wont even realise its there.

The Mini 1 has been on offer recently in the fly more package at £225 and the mini 2 at £423 but they were all post xmas sales and have finished now but may pop up again.

the fly more packagesa re great value as you get 3 batteries and spare props and a bag to carry it all in

Ta, doesn't seem like there's much competition in small drones at that price point! Will hunt around for good prices.

Is it able to automatically track a target? Ideally I want it to film me while I'm soloing mountain routes...so I don't want to faff about much. Find a decent stance, launch it, tell it do a thing, follow me for a bit for example, then a few minutes later at the next decent stance, recall it and pack it away.

Caporegime
Ta, doesn't seem like there's much competition in small drones at that price point! Will hunt around for good prices.

Is it able to automatically track a target? Ideally I want it to film me while I'm soloing mountain routes...so I don't want to faff about much. Find a decent stance, launch it, tell it do a thing, follow me for a bit for example, then a few minutes later at the next decent stance, recall it and pack it away.

Yeah with Licthi app you can with the mini 2. not sure on the mini 1

Don
The Mini 2 relies on 3rd party apps to do the tracking thing. For now, that is only available in the Android version of Lichi (iOS is coming later in the year once the iOS SDK is released).
For proper - baked in - tracking you need to be looking at the segment above. The Air 2 is the cheapest that will do what you ask.

However, everyone expects a Mini 3 to be launched this year with proper tracking built in. Autel have released their Nano line that has obatacle avoidance and tracking in a <250g device so I expect DJI to follow suit.

The absolute best drone for your use case would be a Skydio 2. It has the best tracking available and the best obstacle avoidance. You put it up in the air, tell it to track you, and you do your thing while it does its. Not available in the UK though and is expensive.

Soldato
The Mini 2 relies on 3rd party apps to do the tracking thing. For now, that is only available in the Android version of Lichi (iOS is coming later in the year once the iOS SDK is released).
For proper - baked in - tracking you need to be looking at the segment above. The Air 2 is the cheapest that will do what you ask.

However, everyone expects a Mini 3 to be launched this year with proper tracking built in. Autel have released their Nano line that has obatacle avoidance and tracking in a <250g device so I expect DJI to follow suit.

The absolute best drone for your use case would be a Skydio 2. It has the best tracking available and the best obstacle avoidance. You put it up in the air, tell it to track you, and you do your thing while it does its. Not available in the UK though and is expensive.

Thanks, I've been doing a lot of reading and had come to the same conclusion re: the tracking.

Was starting to look at the Air 2s....camera looks great on it, and has the follow mode. Also saw the skydio but couldn't find a reseller. Hmm.

Don
The Air 2s is a fantastic drone (I have one). The camera is excellent and the general flight performance is top notch.
However, I tend to fly the Mini 2 more frequently due to the size making it convenient to just throw in a bag. Saying that though, I don't use tracking features as I'm mainly a stills photographer.

Soldato
Hi all,

Hope someone here can clarify for me. My dad is a builder and wants to use a drone to be able to throw up in the air and inspect roofs, guttering and so on. Nothing too crazy.

Would I be correct if he went for something like the Mavic Air 2 he would need just an operators license and the A2 CoFC?

Don
And public liabilities insurnace.
If he's planning to do this in towns he will need to cordon off an area for the flight to prevent uninvolved persons coming within 30M of the flight area. This is not really feasible if there is a house right next door or a road for example.

Soldato
And public liabilities insurnace.
If he's planning to do this in towns he will need to cordon off an area for the flight to prevent uninvolved persons coming within 30M of the flight area. This is not really feasible if there is a house right next door or a road for example.
Ok cheers mate. Is there any sort of license he can do to be able to do this or is it just not legal?

Don
He would need to be certified in the Specific Category and would need to carry out risk assessments, maintain a manual of operations, etc. etc. Not trivial.

However, if he holds an A2 CofC and is flying something <250g he can fly in the A1 category, which means he can overfly uninvolved persons (although this should be avoided) and the 30M rule doesn't apply.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get him one of these, can get them with HD video (this one is analog, weight is around 32g with a battery, ~2:30min flight time if flown aggressively, easily over 5 minutes just cruising around a flying camera.

Only yanking your crank though, you wouldn't do inspections of any sort with a tiny whoop, they are hella fun though :)

Soldato
Mini 3 pics have been leaked. From what little I've seen so far, there appears to be a Mini 3 and a Mini 3 'pro' version. They've totally re-designed it, the remote certainly looks interesting, it appears to have a screen on it which means you don't need to connect it to your phone? That would save me some hassle...

My Mini 2 is incompatible with my S22 Ultra - it does fly but when trying to record video in 4k the screen freezes. DJI have been 'working in it' for about a month now.

Soldato
the remote certainly looks interesting, it appears to have a screen on it which means you don't need to connect it to your phone? That would save me some hassle...
That remote is the more expensive version.
If you think you have it bad, try attaching phone to remote and then removing it in -20C.

But DJI's standard RC-N1 is pretty crappy.
It has only two better things over old Mavic serie standard remote:
Far easier to use and more flexible phone holder fitting (at least moderate size) phone even with case protecting rear/edges.
Excellent battery life allowing avoiding torture for lithium chemistry full charge.
Everything is worser/badly cut down.

And DJI Fly is plain dung fly.

Management must have gotten big salary increases for putting such screws ups with Mavic 3...

Back
Top Bottom