Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Don
Associate
I'd love to get the new mini 3, the controller looks great and don't have to use your phone etc. However I don't use my mini 2 as much as I should and I'll get peanuts for it with the incoming glut of them for sale on the 2nd hand market.

Associate
If the Mini 3 is going to be your first Drone. What legal requirements must you follow before you fly it/take it out of the box?
Do you need to register it or take any flight safety courses, things like that?

Which would you say is the preferred controller? The standard one (with a phone) or the inbuilt screen controller, from a screen brightness in bright sunlight, and easy of use point of view?
Would using a phone as the screen be a heavy battery drain on the phone or not?
I'd want to mount the controller on a cycle, if that makes any difference.

Thank you.

Caporegime
Dji hiking their prices to the moon once again, near £900 for a mini ffs. The mini 2 was around £420, so doubled their prices for the sake of a touch screen in the controller that probably cost a tenner tops. :rolleyes:

Don
If the Mini 3 is going to be your first Drone. What legal requirements must you follow before you fly it/take it out of the box?
Do you need to register it or take any flight safety courses, things like that?

Which would you say is the preferred controller? The standard one (with a phone) or the inbuilt screen controller, from a screen brightness in bright sunlight, and easy of use point of view?
Would using a phone as the screen be a heavy battery drain on the phone or not?
I'd want to mount the controller on a cycle, if that makes any difference.

Thank you.

You need a flyer ID and an operator ID. You need to display the operator ID on the craft.
The Mini 3 is <250g so can fly in many places heavier craft would require an A2 licence. It has a camera and so doesn't qualify as a toy unfortunately.

With regards to the controller; I've gone with the one with the screen. Much less faff and no need to worry about getting a call in the middle of a flight when using my phone.
Look at it this way, the basic RC is the same one that is used with the Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S, and Mavic 3. There are plenty on Ebay you can pick up and use if you find that the advanced controller is too heavy or large and you want to use your phone.

Associate
You need a flyer ID and an operator ID. You need to display the operator ID on the craft.
The Mini 3 is <250g so can fly in many places heavier craft would require an A2 licence. It has a camera and so doesn't qualify as a toy unfortunately.

With regards to the controller; I've gone with the one with the screen. Much less faff and no need to worry about getting a call in the middle of a flight when using my phone.
Look at it this way, the basic RC is the same one that is used with the Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S, and Mavic 3. There are plenty on Ebay you can pick up and use if you find that the advanced controller is too heavy or large and you want to use your phone.
Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom