Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
I'm flying to Ireland over the weekend, only taking carry-on luggage. Does anyone know if I'm ok to take my Mavic Pro (and 3x batteries) on with me, or am I likely to come into trouble?

Associate
I just did my first 'proper' video of a short trip to Co. Donegal, Ireland. I know its far from perfect, but what a beautiful place it is. Almost completely unspoilt, n a very under-appreciated place if you ask me

Soldato
Is the Mavic the best consumer drone just now? I would be using it in The Highlands. How good is the range? Ideally I'd like top fly up mountais, so taking about at least 3,000 feet from sea level.

Caporegime
Vargas;30490252 said:
Is the Mavic the best consumer drone just now? I would be using it in The Highlands. How good is the range? Ideally I'd like top fly up mountais, so taking about at least 3,000 feet from sea level.

You can only fly a certain height from your starting point. But that desnt matter if you start on top of a mountain.

Eg if you are on the summit of a 3000 feet mountain you can fly your drone back to sea level and still be at 3000 feet in the air.

The height restriction is always relative to the take off point.

The max ceiling og the Mavic is 5000m or 16,000 feet btw.

Max range is 8 miles in ideal flying and battery conditions but that means its not coming back to where you took off from ;)

DJI list 3.6 miles for RTB.

I would imagine its pretty spot on depending on wind and battery condition as I have gone 3.5 miles with my dji phantom 3 pro before now

Soldato
Greebo;30490752 said:
You can only fly a certain height from your starting point. But that desnt matter if you start on top of a mountain.

Eg if you are on the summit of a 3000 feet mountain you can fly your drone back to sea level and still be at 3000 feet in the air.

The height restriction is always relative to the take off point.

The max ceiling og the Mavic is 5000m or 16,000 feet btw.

Max range is 8 miles in ideal flying and battery conditions but that means its not coming back to where you took off from ;)

DJI list 3.6 miles for RTB.

I would imagine its pretty spot on depending on wind and battery condition as I have gone 3.5 miles with my dji phantom 3 pro before now

Cheers mate

Sounds ideal, now I have just to take the plunge and get one if it's in stock anywhere, and them have the worry that it crashes or doesn't return lol

Caporegime
It is a pain that its limited to height from take off point as you cant fly up mountains above 500m even if the drone was just one metre off the ground.

Yet conversely taking off from the highest point around you, you can easily end up 1km above the ground and breaking every law going relating to drones.

Even the valley i live in I have to be careful as we are on top of one of the sides and the raf regularly do low level flying through the valley and the planes are lower than our house.

Soldato
I think the Mavic's capabilities and restrictions are balanced pretty sensibly, bearing in mind line of sight guidance / restrictions in most countries. You can't see or hear it well before it gets to 500 metres altitude.

As Greebo said, the maximum range is a pointless one, as you won't be able to return it before the battery dies.

Soldato
I was watching some conference on Youtube the other day that involved the CAA, pro UAV pilot (Pro meaning they have permission to work commercially, not that they're talented pilots) and amateur pilots. The CAA guy said that one of the pilot's associations (he didn't name them on purpose) has told all its pilots to report ANYTHING they spot that's unidentifiable as a drone.

That's what we're up against. At 6000ft, the chances of that being a drone are almost none existent.

If it was a "drone" then it's far more likely to be a large (1.5m plus) fixed wing aircraft. And, to put it bluntly, fixed wing fliers are less likely to be morons as they don't really fly themselves. Still, it's not unheard of.

Soldato
I smell something brown and unpleasant here.

6000ft? Mmmkay.

And we have some sort of superhuman eyesight powers right there. Flying an Airbus at speed at 6k feet and he can clearly see a white drone with specifically identified colours on the rotor arms? Hmmmm.

Lastly, event is alleged to have occurred last August yet it's only just been pulled out of the media's fake news bottom in February 2017?

Good old BBC.

Soldato
Most of the 'drone' related stuff that hits the news is later found to be something else, the drone that apparently hit a plane was later found to be structure fault on the plane etc. unfortunatly that part never gets reported.

Caporegime
Jase;30496057 said:
Most of the 'drone' related stuff that hits the news is later found to be something else, the drone that apparently hit a plane was later found to be structure fault on the plane etc. unfortunatly that part never gets reported.

Be interested to read that, got a link?

Soldato
Finally got my Mavic back from DJI today after a repair for the gimbal. The whole process took a month - mostly due to me being slow to dispatch it after the case was raised and accepted and then just due to shipping both ways (service centre in Holland is now capable of dealing with Mavics). It was listed as a repair, but I'm pretty sure I've received a new / refurbished one back instead - had to relink to the controller and the condition looks very new.

Quick test flight tonight to check everything's ok. A bunch of firmware updates seem to have delivered some improvements to the camera's capability.

Lv1XMYW.jpg

Man of Honour
What happened to your gimbal?

Also did you get to test your ND filters?
I'm thinking about getting the official DJI ones, but there's no ND32.

Associate
I smell something brown and unpleasant here.

6000ft? Mmmkay.

And we have some sort of superhuman eyesight powers right there. Flying an Airbus at speed at 6k feet and he can clearly see a white drone with specifically identified colours on the rotor arms? Hmmmm.

Lastly, event is alleged to have occurred last August yet it's only just been pulled out of the media's fake news bottom in February 2017?

Good old BBC.

That is a rather astute description given the circumstances. I suspect he had help when he got home that night and Google image searched 'drone'.

Soldato
Went for the Hubsan X4 H501S Advanced version in the end. Been looking at reviews for a while and most seem to say it's decent as a step into GPS, and I like the look/size of it.

Not long been on the quad scene but wanted something with GPS, RTH and FPV. Really would like a Mavic Pro, but thought it best be safe not to spend in the 1K region for my first "more expensive" quad.
How have you been going with the Husban? I'm in a similar boat, got a cheap fpv for Xmas and looking to step up. Would love a Mavic, but can't justify the cost at the moment.

Soldato
What happened to your gimbal?

Also did you get to test your ND filters?
I'm thinking about getting the official DJI ones, but there's no ND32.

I crashed it. I flew backwards into some long grass by a river and it tangled around one of the rotors. What followed was a mini acrobatic display and a broken gimbal!

I haven't tested the filters with video yet, only stills. This was with an ND4 post-repair.

9eWTMA8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom