Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Don
Unfortunately the Android version of DJI Go is really crashy. The iPhone version is very stable and reliable. DJI just don't seem to be on the ball with Android and this shows mostly with the performance of the app and the frame rate. My 3 year old iPad Mini 2 runs Go at a smoother frame rate than any Android based phone I've tried, even the latest stuff.

Soldato
I was reading one of the dji Facebook groups, and someone recommended turning off WiFi and selecting airplane mode. I tried this at home and the Go app didn't crash. I'll try it out side on Wednesday as its meant to be sunny.

Its weird as Go used to run very well on the Shield tablet, but after many app updates its gone backwards in functioning.

Soldato
Ive been hovering over the buy button for a mavic for a few months, but I kept reading that the images/video weren't that good. But lately Im seeing great pictures and video from various sites, including the pics above, and thinking DJI have changed something in the firmware. Images have improved a lot! My finger is getting closer to that button.

Soldato
I haven't updated my firmware for a good few weeks tbh, despite all the warnings every time I start it. I haven't really noticed much difference in the last few updates, apart from the d-log setting for video which brought some good improvements apparently (haven't used video for a while).

The Mavic's brought lots of new drone users to the scene (I'm one of them), and tbh I don't think too many of them really fully know what they're doing. The Mavic is a very capable photography platform, if you understand its limitations and know a bit about working around them. It'll never produce poster size stills nor Hollywood 4K video - there are plenty of other DJI drones to do that. But it gets very close relative to just how small and portable it is, and once you spend a few hours flying with it you'll start to understand what it can and can't do.

I really love the Mavic though. I'm still less capable than it is.

Soldato
I have the P3P and love it. But so many times Ive been out and thought this would be a great place to fly. The Mavic would be great in situations like that as its so portable. I have 2 weeks to pay day, and Jessops (last time I looked) had a good deal on the Mavic. Decisions, decisions !! :)

Soldato
Awesome Mavic pics! Guy in our local drone club just bought one after flying a P3S for a while, tempted myself. Me?......well......this little beastie turned up yesterday in the post. Walkera Rodeo 150 and a set of Quanum V2 FPV goggles. Because of the weather, I've only had one LOS flight with it but my god....!!! It's absolutely rapid for a 2S powered quad!! Very different to fly compared to my DJI Phantom, will take some getting used to. :cool:

quanums1.jpg

quanums2.jpg

rodeo150_1.jpg

Soldato
Any of you people give me some pointers on some cheap and cheerful fpv set up.

Basically I fly RC planes, and have a selection of Electric and glow/petrol model planes.

Looking for something cheap to stick on an electric plane model and fly fpv, to see what it is like.

I have plenty of Lipo's, so i am guessing all i need is goggles and a cam? but unsure what (else) and bits I also need.

thanks

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I'm in the process of building my first FPV racing drone, at the stage of spec'ing and gathering parts.

After some opinions on the flight controller, boiling down to SPF3 vs SPF4.

The SPF4 is newer and faster, but from what I've read it doesn't exceed the SPF3 in all areas. The barometric sensor is a BMP280 vs the MS5611 on the SPF3. The SPF4 also lacks a compass, but I'm sure it can be added.

Do these sensors really matter for FPV racing, I think I want altitude hold - but I'm not sure until I've actually flown something like this! I'm keen to use the SPF4 as it's more future proof as it's newer (and supports DSHOT which I need). My flight controller must use Cleanflight, and I'd like to buy direct from SP as it helps support the development of Cleanflight.

Soldato
No one racing uses the accelerometer (self level), let alone barometer and magnetometer. All they do is eat up CPU time, which is better spent running the PID loop faster. Height holding is useless unless you use a sprung throttle which returns to centre when you let go, as above mid-stick climbs, and below descends.
If you've ever flown a flight simulator on the PC, just go straight for rate mode and never look back. Starting any other way just means you have to re-learn once you switch.

Most F3 flight controllers support DShot, including the SPF3. No one 'needs' DShot. It just makes things a little easier as there's no need to calibrate the throttle on the ESCs.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I like the idea of height holding, and using a sprung throttle by my Tx doesn't currently have that (I assume I could mod / swap gimbals for that). Thanks for the reply, think I'll just get the SPF4 as it has a much higher clock speed.

I do need DShot as I've already bought ESCs that use it :)

Soldato
I like the idea of height holding, and using a sprung throttle by my Tx doesn't currently have that (I assume I could mod / swap gimbals for that). Thanks for the reply, think I'll just get the SPF4 as it has a much higher clock speed.

I do need DShot as I've already bought ESCs that use it :)
All Dshot ESCs will also work with basic PWM, Oneshot125, Oneshot42 and (unless they're Kiss escs) multishot.

Associate
Any of you people give me some pointers on some cheap and cheerful fpv set up.

Basically I fly RC planes, and have a selection of Electric and glow/petrol model planes.

Looking for something cheap to stick on an electric plane model and fly fpv, to see what it is like.

I have plenty of Lipo's, so i am guessing all i need is goggles and a cam? but unsure what (else) and bits I also need.

thanks

If your Lipos are 4s youl need a 12v regulator and a filter so your vtx can be powered by the same battery youl need the filter between the supply and the vtx to clean up the supply as the motor will give you a dirty supply which will give you a terrible signal

I'd also advice on some antivibration mounting for the camera

As for fpv goggles I'm sure others can advice

Associate
Can anyone drop me some links to where I can read more about Quad/Drones please?

My Googlefu keeps sending me to low count forums or websites that look like they were made in the 90s.

Bought the Mrs a cheap Quad for her birthday as a novelty, now I can't put it down. As fate would have it I also stumbled across FPV racing on TV!

GeX

GeX

Soldato
All Dshot ESCs will also work with basic PWM, Oneshot125, Oneshot42 and (unless they're Kiss escs) multishot.

ahh, TIL - thanks.

I still have much to learn. Have wanted a quadcopter for a long while, finally bought a house that's near plenty of open green space to play (and, rather handily an FPV Drone raceway!) and so started reading up and buying the bits. Hoping to have something flying in the next couple of weeks, LOS first and then I'll add the FPV gear.

Back
Top Bottom