Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Duo

Duo

Associate
Hey guys,

I just saw this thread and had to say hi as I've just recently received my first quadcopter and it has certainly been a learning experience...and I haven't even had the chance to take it out and fly it properly yet.

It will take me some time to sift through this thread but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the FPV stuff from china and what is good and what to avoid....If thio is better asked in a separate thread let me know and ill do that

Soldato
£519 for the spark, (£699 for fly further pack) Gesture control looks cool, but it's definitely not one i'd buy. I'm sticking with the Mavic, i'll buy on Monday (Hoping that there are some B/H specials).

Duo

Duo

Associate
Haha sorry that was a little vague, by 'the FPV stuff from China' I meant things like the Eachine Wizard and other products available on sites like BangGood and Gearbest.

Some of the other items I am considering to build a quad are some RacerStar 2300KV or 2600KV motors and some 30a or 20a BlHeli_S ESC's along with some of their replica frames and FC''s etc...they seem to have replicas of most things and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these products. From what i've read online the motors and ESC's and pretty good considering the cost. More reviews and opinions are always welcome.

I'm thinking for a first quad build it might be a good idea to use these products as it will no doubt be crashed a lot so better crash that then more valuable parts.

You can check out the stuff I'm talking about here: https://www.banggood.com/

(If I need to remove this link please let me know and I'll remove it)

Duo

Duo

Associate
Gex as you are still looking here's some advice that I can give you, from on rookie to another.

Make sure you buy things that you wont grow out of very quickly. By that I mean don't buy loads of any one thing straight away, be it batteries or props because you may want to change and be stuck with a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Also when it comes to buying FPV goggles consider getting a pair of good goggles straight away, these don't need to be fat sharks, there have been a couple other options on the market recently. You don't need to get these straight away of course and there are some good box style goggles available, I currently have some box goggles but I already want one of the smaller goggles with diversity antennas. If I knew I would be wanting to upgrade this quickly I would have just went straight for the smaller goggles from the start.

Associate
Haha sorry that was a little vague, by 'the FPV stuff from China' I meant things like the Eachine Wizard and other products available on sites like BangGood and Gearbest.

Some of the other items I am considering to build a quad are some RacerStar 2300KV or 2600KV motors and some 30a or 20a BlHeli_S ESC's along with some of their replica frames and FC''s etc...they seem to have replicas of most things and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these products. From what i've read online the motors and ESC's and pretty good considering the cost. More reviews and opinions are always welcome.

I'm thinking for a first quad build it might be a good idea to use these products as it will no doubt be crashed a lot so better crash that then more valuable parts.

You can check out the stuff I'm talking about here: https://www.banggood.com/

(If I need to remove this link please let me know and I'll remove it)

Racerstar or King Kong motors are good value. You'll ding them and its better than replacing a £15-20 motor until you really need them. 2300 Kv are fine. Never used 2600 KV but my mate has them (racerstar) and quite likes them
For your first build, if you want a cheap frame, get a martian 2 - loads of room. Easy build
Personally I'd go 30A esc
I find the king kong clone props are not as good as what they are cloning. I have tried some DAL clones and they were far less powerful. Just get decent props from the UK
For other, branded gear like FPV cams/VTX/ RX, check uk stores as banggood is not always the cheapest

You'll be fine with a cheap radio
Worth trying to get some second hand good goggles from the start - they'll retain value if you sell them.

Duo

Duo

Associate
Racerstar or King Kong motors are good value. You'll ding them and its better than replacing a £15-20 motor until you really need them. 2300 Kv are fine. Never used 2600 KV but my mate has them (racerstar) and quite likes them
For your first build, if you want a cheap frame, get a martian 2 - loads of room. Easy build
Personally I'd go 30A esc
I find the king kong clone props are not as good as what they are cloning. I have tried some DAL clones and they were far less powerful. Just get decent props from the UK
For other, branded gear like FPV cams/VTX/ RX, check uk stores as banggood is not always the cheapest

You'll be fine with a cheap radio
Worth trying to get some second hand good goggles from the start - they'll retain value if you sell them.

That's pretty much exactly what i'm planning

Martian 2 frame, Racerstar 30A ESC's and 2300KV or 2600KV motors...I guess the ESC's can handle the 2600KV but 2300KV is what i currently have so still undecided which i should get...im not the best flyer so a bit worried 2600KV may be a bit too powerful for learning...that and reduced flight times will likely be an issue...I have a runcam swift 2 on the way and just need to decide on a flight controller and lots have VTX built in so think ill go for one of those so any specific recommendations would be much appreciated.

It's amazing just how much there is to learn, at first i thought it would be simple. As for props I have 10 pairs of king kongs and 4 pairs of dalprop 5046 tri blade and i've also picked up 2 pairs of dalprop 5045 quad blades to test out to see if there is a noticeable difference.

I'm thinking about saving up to get a pair of Aomway goggles as i've read they are very comfortable and work well. what do you think of them?

Duo

Duo

Associate

New toy in the building. That's my bank holiday Monday sorted :)

Nice! this is the Aurora right? I see the CD you have used for scale. Do you have any pics of it next to a banana for a more accurate measurement? ;p

I've been waiting all week for my mini drone/tiny whoop to arrive to fly around indoors and its still not arrived yet...I ordered extra 1s batteries at the same time and they arrived on friday and have been sitting on my shelf just waiting to be used.

Enjoy your bank holiday, this thing looks like it will be fun.

Soldato
Yep Aurora 100. Didn't have a TX with me but hooked it up to betaflight to fire up the motors. Jeez it has some guts for a tiny 2s.

I too ordered spares at the same time and have had them for a week already. 2mm Base plate (much stiffer), 5 more lipos and extra props. Got a feeling I'll need them!

Duo

Duo

Associate
Duo. I've never tried them but the reviews seem good. There's no doubt about it, Fatsharks are overpriced so some competition is good

I totally agree, competition was much needed because Fatshark were the only option but now that we have more options we are already seeing price competition and increased innovation... Diversity coming standard with the new competitors offerings is a great sign for things to come. Another example is the skyzone goggles innovation is the front facing camera so you don't need to remove the goggles to see in front of you... sure its not likely to be the most used feature but it shows they are trying things and seeing what the market wants.

Duo

Duo

Associate
Yep Aurora 100. Didn't have a TX with me but hooked it up to betaflight to fire up the motors. Jeez it has some guts for a tiny 2s.

I too ordered spares at the same time and have had them for a week already. 2mm Base plate (much stiffer), 5 more lipos and extra props. Got a feeling I'll need them!

ah yes betaflight. i'm still trying to get my head around how to use it properly. Random question...I don't suppose you know how I can invert the pitch?

For how small the Aurora is I bet line of sight would get tricky if you flew too far, which wouldn't be too hard to do with how light and zippy it must be.

It's sods law that the accessories always arrive first, I bet the same thing happens with the accessories for another purchase of mine (flexible filament for a 3D printer). I wanted to get some soft mounts because i heard they were a good idea to reduce oscillations and shaky video...I saw that the ones available on eBay were 3D printed so i used that as the impetus to finally buy a 3d printer that i've wanted for a while. I know, the logic is a bit funny but i've gotta justify my tech addiction somehow haha. According to tracking the race is now on, the filament is currently in Scotland with Royal Mail and the printer is in France with FedEx...who will win...place your bets now.

Duo

Duo

Associate
I've also come across this product which i think looks really cool especially for spectators who may want to see what you see without needing to get their own goggles

FPV Receiver For Android Mobile Phone

Another bonus is its less than £20 so matched with something like google cardboard and you've got yourself some super budget FPV goggles.

Soldato
Ordered my mavic pro fly further kit today as there doesn't seem to be any bank holiday offers on. It's coming tomorrow but I doubt I'll get to play with it till next su day as I'm in Manchester this weekend. I've done loads of reading and I need to check whether my contents insurance covers loss / accidental damage. AA insurance if anybody does know.

I've already checked the drone code for here and NZ. Can't wait for NZ, can go higher :D

Back
Top Bottom