Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Picked up a spark yesterday in the £499 deal with the remote, extra battery etc. Anyone want to comment on whether the DJI care refresh package is worth it?

It's £59 and of you break your drone it's another £49 for the first replacement. How likely am I to damage a spark assuming I use it sensibly?

Soldato
And a slightly naughty one from a few weeks ago.

And by "slightly naughty" you mean completely illegal?

weight said:
Well I hope your reporting them for flying that low, the skies have to be safe for us to operate as well.
Pilots have a responsibility as well as us 'drone' operators!

They're allowed to be there, you are not!
Only person breaking their responsibility here is you.

Can I ask exactly where you were during this flight? and at what height?

Soldato
It didn't look that high to me either. Probably over 400ft, but I doubt much over. Certainly way less than 1000ft.

Here's a pointer. If you are going to break the law, don't post it on Youtube.

Soldato
Well, he went from tree top height to the clouds in 9 seconds according to the footage.

A quick calculation means he'd have to be climbing at about 75mph to cover 1000ft in that time. Now, I doubt there are many, if any drones out there that can climb like that.

Don
He's no more than 500ft but it's still utterly stupid and irresponsible to fly beyond LOS above cloud cover. It's antics like this that shows the authorities that some fliers just don't give a damn about the rules.
Regs are coming soon that should hopefully put a stop to this sort of nonsense. Pity they were needed though but this sort of thing shows exactly why they are.

Soldato
Well, he went from tree top height to the clouds in 9 seconds according to the footage.

A quick calculation means he'd have to be climbing at about 75mph to cover 1000ft in that time. Now, I doubt there are many, if any drones out there that can climb like that.

I didn't say the clouds were at 1000 feet. At his highest point he's around 2-3 times higher above the clouds than the clouds are above the ground. Do a search on YouTube for 1000 foot drone footage and compare to this.

I reckon the cloudbase in this footage is around 300-400 feet.

Soldato
Location will let me find out what class of airspace he was flying in. Time and Date will give the MET report from the closest airport at the time showing what the cloudbase was. If, as he maintains, he was at 400' then I'm sure he wouldn't mind providing the info. If he doesn't I'll take it as admission of guilt :)

Soldato
But a rule none the less. I'm assuming you're not willing to provide Location, Date & Time?

FYI, there is an exemption in the rules when flying FPV. As long as you fly in Class G airspace and have a spotter than can maintain line of sight then you can fly up to a maximum height of 1000ft.

Back
Top Bottom