Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Caporegime
View attachment PJZe296.jpg

Pleasantly surprised at how well this little thing flies and how easy it is to control, just flew around for a bit getting used to the controls and snapping the odd pic. Quite happy with it so far, i don't even think anyone noticed it as it's so quiet in the air. :)

Caporegime

Quite pricey, though i suppose if it saves your drone worth the cost. Can't help but feel in some of their vids the drone still comes down a bit on the fast side.

Caporegime
Not flown a quad for 6 months up until 3 weeks ago.
Taken until now to start getting a feel back.
https://youtu.be/g23XyiM-kzg

Thoughts on registration rules coming in the next few months?
I'm not happy with them.
I read a lot of peeps ignoring them.
But you risk getting your gear confiscated if you go down that route.

Judging by your previous flight videos (if I'm remembering correctly) I'd be doing them

For most people the old plod won't bat an eye lid.

EDIT: LOL and that video. That's precisely why the rules are coming in :o

Caporegime
Had my first crash today, the copter was returning to home and out of the blue the motors stop spinning, ends up landing in some brush area. Battery levels were good, it was high enough up to not collide with anything, and it was't that far away. Found it easily enough as it was still transmitting video when i got close enough to it and a little beeping sound. Some damage to one of the rear legs, going to have to contact parrot to see if it can get fixed, no reason that i could see that it crashed, the engines just stopped spinning out of the blue. :(

Caporegime
Is there a log file that you can get to to check what may have caused it?

Looked at it, nothing indicated from what i can see. Max height was slightly over 300 feet, it was on RTH when whatever happened, happened. Just got an error saying the motors had stopped functioning and it fell into a brush area. Oddly enough it was on it's 16th flight, seen another guy on youtube get something similar on his 16th flight as well, motors cut out for no reason. :confused:

The only possible thing i can put it down to is it was returning from a little nature area at the time, maybe a Crow took a swipe at it, i wasn't recording at the time so nothing really to go on. Just about **** myself when i seen the engines had stopped message. :eek:

Caporegime
Little Hyperlapse i was doing a few mins before it went into Flying Brick mode

13C8KRc.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/13C8KRc.mp4
13C8KRc.mp4

Soldato
Documentary tomorrow night by the biased broadcasting corporation, about the dangers drones pose to aircraft. I look forward to seeing just how clueless their "expert" is.

Statistically, a turtle is more likely to be in a mid air collision, than a drone. A turtle... Obviously means drones must be really dangerous.

BBC2 9:30PM if anyone else wants a giggle.

Soldato
Yeah I watched it reluctantly knowing exactly what was going to happen. If I got a £1 for every time he mentioned weaponized drone. I'd at least cover this months council tax. There is absolutely nothing unbiased about the BBC today. I seriously doubt if the FPV pilots knew exactly what they were getting into during that segment. You never actually saw Aldo talking about the negatives while they were present. It was always off screen with that other guy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Picked up a DJI Spark last week, the fly more bundle for £275 2nd hand. Really enjoying it so far. The form factor is perfect for the little tankbag I have on the motorbike which is one of my primary reasons for getting it.
I know others have better speed, higher resolution, longer flight time, but as a test to see if I want to invest more significantly I have been very pleasantly surprised.

Caporegime
Picked up a DJI Spark last week, the fly more bundle for £275 2nd hand. Really enjoying it so far. The form factor is perfect for the little tankbag I have on the motorbike which is one of my primary reasons for getting it.
I know others have better speed, higher resolution, longer flight time, but as a test to see if I want to invest more significantly I have been very pleasantly surprised.

They're surprisingly fun to fly, it's interesting seeing places you know well from totally different viewpoints. I've a mavic pro and a parrot anafi, the anafi gets the most usage as it's small and people tend to not even notice it. I can sit in the car and launch it from hand, do a flight and have it land back on my hand without ever getting out of the car :D. The only thing about it that annoys me is getting it to connect to the phone and controller can be hit or miss, sometimes i turn the drone on and it almost seems to not "boot up" all the way and as a result it doesn't broadcast a wifi signal for the controller to connect to.

Case in point, last night i had a 10 minute flight, turned it off and went to my next location to film. When i got there i turned it on and spent a half hour trying to get it to connect with no luck. Just seems really random and looking online it's been an issue for parrot drones over the years with no real fix.

The mavic is bigger, louder but has more range and due to the size of the props is a bit more steady when it comes to hovering. I really wish these drones had some sort of parachute system as standard (they're available separately but at a stupid price and imo they don't make the drone fall slow enough to mitigate damage\injury), the mavic is a fair bit heavier than the parrot so i dread to think what damage it could do if it dropped out of the air and somehow hit someone or something on the way down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom