Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
So got my first drone today - DJI Mavic Mini.

Absolutely amazing toy, was using in doors no issues, in the garden etc.

After dinner I decided to try it out in a locally - literally as soon as a took off it fell out of the sky from about 10 meters away, 6 meters high.
Thought it was rather odd, and no damage to speak of.

Tried again, and again as soon as a I took off, it flipped over onto it's back and fell out of the sky and broke the gimbal.

I had the drone connected to my Android phone (Pixel 3XL) if that makes any difference - I'm at a total loss? :(

I have filed a claim for refresh, but paranoid it's going to happen again plus the extra cost for something that on the face of it was not pilot error.

Edit: Just tried again, it flys for a bit and then just dies mid flight!

Do you not still have to do the twisty calibration dances first on these things before flying them? RTFM? :)

Associate
Do you not still have to do the twisty calibration dances first on these things before flying them? RTFM? :)
It prompts you to calibrate the compass, not every time - absolutely gutted

I've sent them an email with my case number with the story behind it. Whilst I'm sending the drone back, what if it's a controller or battery issue.

I could understand if there were errors on the screen etc, but nothing.

Well there is one error now, gimbal error post crashing it.

Just want to sell it now when it comes back, really taking the excitement out of it for me

Caporegime
Hi all,

Hope you're all well :) - quick question. I know the DJI drones are great and very popular. Do many people here DIY build their own multirotor/quad craft? Kinda curious. I fly RC Planes and soon beginning helicopters. I wondered if there was much interest/discussion on here for the DIY stuff? or do people buy kits and assemble themselves etc. :)

Cheers!

Soldato
So got my first drone today - DJI Mavic Mini.

Absolutely amazing toy, was using in doors no issues, in the garden etc.

After dinner I decided to try it out in a locally - literally as soon as a took off it fell out of the sky from about 10 meters away, 6 meters high.
Thought it was rather odd, and no damage to speak of.

Tried again, and again as soon as a I took off, it flipped over onto it's back and fell out of the sky and broke the gimbal.

I had the drone connected to my Android phone (Pixel 3XL) if that makes any difference - I'm at a total loss? :(

I have filed a claim for refresh, but paranoid it's going to happen again plus the extra cost for something that on the face of it was not pilot error.

Edit: Just tried again, it flys for a bit and then just dies mid flight!

Have a look at the flight logs on the drone, should shed some light on why it went into fail safe and dropped out the air.

You can get all the info from the below site on how to retrieve the logs on a mavic mini.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-flight-log-retrieval-and-analysis-guide.78627/

Associate
Associate
Wasn't there an issue with the mini's of the front props hitting the body of the drone?

Any visible damage to the body of the drone that looks like its not from where it fell?

Associate
So report came back twisted body - refresh used.

Obviously did not bother reading my letter I sent with it or email stating the fact it just fell out of the sky!!

Let's see what this one does, if it falls out once it's getting sold

Soldato
So report came back twisted body - refresh used.

Obviously did not bother reading my letter I sent with it or email stating the fact it just fell out of the sky!!

Let's see what this one does, if it falls out once it's getting sold

My first thought if it fell out the sky was that there was an issue with the battery connection - did you happen to lose video when it fell?

Associate
My first thought if it fell out the sky was that there was an issue with the battery connection - did you happen to lose video when it fell?
It was a fly more, and tried 2 of the 3 incase it was a battery issue.
Was too focused on flying it to really notice the screen as it was in very close proximity and low height.
Flying around in the house / garden for longer duration did not yield the same outcome albeit on WiFi if that makes any difference?

Caporegime
I bought a manufacturer refurb one. You get a full guarantee and saves you a few hundred quid, Thats about as good as it gets.

Out of interest why did you decide on the pro? I spent ages trying to decide between the two but just couldnt justify the huge price difference for the larger sensor camera in the pro 2 over the air 2 when it pretty much all other departments the air 2 matches or beats the pro 2. And in reality doubt I will ever see much difference with the shots/video on the camera.

Mavic really need the pro 3 to come out this year to re-address the balance

Caporegime
3 reasons really.

Larger sensor
4 times the dynamic range
Variable aperture

Those features are all important to me with photography.

Yeah I see your point. I did think long and hard over those very things but decided double the money wasnt worth it so settled on the air 2. Will probably upgrade to the pro 3 later this year.

Don
Actually, I'm now thinking of getting the Air 2......
Having looked at shots from both, there is very little difference. The 2P is better in low light but I'm not sure it's worth nearly twice the price.

Caporegime
Actually, I'm now thinking of getting the Air 2......
Having looked at shots from both, there is very little difference. The 2P is better in low light but I'm not sure it's worth nearly twice the price.

Lol which was exactly the decision I came to when looking at the shots taken. Air 2 better on 4k video as well plus has the 8k hyperlapse.

If there had been a much smaller price gap between them I might have been tempted by the pro 2 but the tiny size and half the weight clinched it. I have everything in one small light shoulder bag which I can take anywhere,

Got a refurbished fly more air 2 package for just over £800 inc vat.

You can buy them new on offer on amazon for £900

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJI-Mavic-...t=&hvlocphy=9046702&hvtargid=pla-909564721408

Caporegime
Yeah, I think I'll go for that. Especially with a Mavic 3 Pro probably coming ion the next few months.

Agreed. Mavic really need the pro 3 after rising the bar so high with the Air 2. I am expecting great things with the pro 3 in order to justify the price gap again.

Mavic can;t be selling very many pro 2s atm unless you absolutely must have the slightly better camera.

I see the patents have been filed on the Pro 3 and is expected to go on sale Q3/Q4.

Once it does the pro 2 will drop in second hand value, thats for certain.

Hence the air 2 makes for a great stop gap.

Caporegime
Lol which was exactly the decision I came to when looking at the shots taken. Air 2 better on 4k video as well plus has the 8k hyperlapse.

If there had been a much smaller price gap between them I might have been tempted by the pro 2 but the tiny size and half the weight clinched it. I have everything in one small light shoulder bag which I can take anywhere,

Got a refurbished fly more air 2 package for just over £800 inc vat.

You can buy them new on offer on amazon for £900

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DJI-Mavic-...t=&hvlocphy=9046702&hvtargid=pla-909564721408

The mavic 2 pro has better night time performance, but besides that the air 2 is very comparable.

Back
Top Bottom