Music question - Family shared account, deleting purchases?

Commissario
This is a bit convoluted.

Years ago, when Apple Music first came out, I signed up a family account with my wife and two (adult) kids. I also have a large iTunes library with Match as well.

When we all first started using it, anything my daughter streamed via Apple Music appeared as available on my library. It was annoying but I've just sort of gone along with it. I didn't notice it happening with my wife and son but just assumed it did.

When iTunes became just 'Music' on macOS, things got a bit confused with my library and it never really worked. I wasn't too worried about that and a few days ago I decided to create a new library and effectively start from scratch.

I created a new library only for the music browser to be absolutely full of the music the others have streamed. Upon checking, it turned out that it was only my daughters music, nothing from my wife or my son appeared. We investigated further and it turns out that after inviting them all to the family Apple Music originally, she signed in using my iTunes Apple ID, not the one that I'd used to invite her to the family group.

That's why we've had this integration, anything she played appeared in my library and vice versa.

Yesterday, I signed her out of iTunes with my account and signed myself in.

Perfect.

Now I'm going through my library, deleting anything from the list that has a Cloud Status of Apple Music which I know isn't mine

However, over the years, she's bought some music and the Cloud Status is 'Purchased'.

If I right click those tracks and select Delete from Library, I get the following popup.

P23qVkT.png

If I delete these, will she be able to download them again using her AppleID account as part of the family thing or are they locked to the AppleID that effectively owns the family account?

I seem to remember something from years ago that you were only allowed to download purchased content once and after that, it was your own responsibility to keep backups and you couldn't download them again (though generally Apple would allow you to do this if you sent them a nice email).

Back
Top Bottom