MX5 MPS?

Soldato
MAZDA TO BEEF UP THE MX-5?

256bhp turbocharged MPS version rumoured

Will there be a heated-up version of the evergreen Mazda MX5?

It appears that the iconic roadster, which restarted the roadster market on its own -- will gain an MPS-badged sibling, possibly with up to 256bhp.

Autocar reckons that rumours hint at a go-faster version powered by a Mazda's 2.3-litre turbocharged engine, although this is believed to cause packaging difficulties: they're not sure it'll fit. Another solution would be to turbocharge the exiting 2-litre mill.

Either way, it's clear that the MX-5 chassis can handle the power...

Soldato
I really fancy an old (well 99/00) turbo mx5, I am very quickly leaning this way for my next car in a few months. dont think you could have more reliable fun for about 8k and when you best mate has his own garage it just got cheaper! the big question is supercharger or turbo though!

This MPS jobby will be heavyer no doubt, but would be a good, less peaky alternative to s2000

Soldato
Ahh so it is a Flyin' Miata turbo kit? I think they are redoing their kits at the moment. Also any sites with onfo on this turbo kit? ;)

I still want a turbo Mk1 or Mk2. :(

Caporegime
Yep, sam was talking about really cold dense air feed so its not as dangerous to the engine hence it can handle more power on the stock internals, 250Bhp with the current kits it right on the boarderline of the stock engines pistons etc.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Yep, sam was talking about really cold dense air feed so its not as dangerous to the engine hence it can handle more power on the stock internals, 250Bhp with the current kits it right on the boarderline of the stock engines pistons etc.

Does that mean you need forged pistens after that?

Soldato
interesting, would have thought if they stuck the 2.3 in it would ruin the balance of the car a bit, same for the turbo though i guess. although im sure mazda will keep the brilliance that is the current mx5's handling.

Soldato
Might be wrong, but isn't there a turbo version available in Japan already?

Might be low pressure or something, but I'm sure EVO said something about it - could be wrong though.

Isn't turbo-ing an MX5 not in keeping with the design idea of the MX5?

Caporegime
Yep mazda produced limited numbers, but since mazda are well mazda they limited it to something like 174bhp and even upgraded the engine internals over stock, thats the japs for you!

The mx5 design idea was to build a fantastic car for thrashing down back roads, which they have done, best thing i've ever chucked around on the road, but many people feel it needs more power.

Personally i like the amount of power mine has atm it pulls away from lots of things at the lights and through the gears but the car is so well designed the chassi can take double the power its got while still maintaining its balance :)

Soldato
So these flying miata turbo kits are the ones to go for ten, these new ones should be out by the time I'm looking, I have some serious saving to do first. The other thing is, insurance on a std 1.8is is cheap for me, like £700 (Im only 20) but i presume a turbo will kill me! I will be 21 with 4yrs NCB (hopefully) by then though. I really like the idea of an mx5 running about 200bhp. The only drawbacks would be resale value, by the time you have done wheels suspension, turbo, IC, exhaust and induction its a big bill that you wouldent get back,but I wouldent have thaught I would be selling it!

Caporegime
Yep these are the kits to go for, great quality :)

I've already spent a fair wack on my mx since getting it 5 - 6 weeks ago and i won't be selling it for a long long time really want to make it a minter and keep hold of it, the car is a timeless shape :)

Associate
The current M6 MPS is overpriced and underpowered for what it's supposed to be (Evo beater), lets hope the MX5 MPS doesn't go the same way.

Man of Honour
2.3L engine's a bad idea IMO, it'll be too front heavy unless they can keep the 50:50 distribution on the chassis - which is after all what gave the mx5 it's reputation and handling characteristics.

Now I've had the turbo fitted I'd never go back. The mx5 is just *begging* for more power - and it handles it REALLY well.

As said up to approx 250bhp the stock engine (1.8) can be left standard. The only thing worth and required changing would be the clutch really - to cope with the extra torque. I think coming up to 250bhp I'd probably already thinking about new pistions and lowering the CR. To get over 200bhp you need bigger injectors too, and an overhauled ECU which is a bit dear for me at the moment.

Anyway, I think a turbo is more suited to the MX5 than a supercharger - for people know how how it drives stock, I think they'd agree. But that's also a lot down to personal taste. :)

They so over engineered that car... all they needed was a little more power really.

Back
Top Bottom