MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Associate
Any mk3 owners able to advise regarding servicing.

I see that on the official recommendation it says that the plugs only need changing every 62,500 miles. Did you follow this or not? Mine is at about 45k but is 8 years old and it seems like a long time between intervals.

Thanks in advance!

I asked my garage to remove them and inspect (50k miles)
Looked fine so I'll check them again next year.

Only helpful if you trust your mechanic

Associate

I see that on the official recommendation it says that the plugs only need changing every 62,500 miles. Did you follow this or not? Mine is at about 45k but is 8 years old and it seems like a long time between intervals.

Thanks in advance!

If your use is not really harsh as in just daily driving that's probably fine, if you are tracking it loads and constantly high rpms you'll want to cut that down.

Soldato
I asked my garage to remove them and inspect (50k miles)
Looked fine so I'll check them again next year.

Only helpful if you trust your mechanic
Sounds like a plan, thank you :)

If your use is not really harsh as in just daily driving that's probably fine, if you are tracking it loads and constantly high rpms you'll want to cut that down.
Sounds sensible, thank you also!

Caporegime

Thanks in advance!

4 coppers cost less than ten quid. Might as well do them.

Caporegime
The Mk3 uses Iridium plugs so they're around £50 to replace. I don't know whether they are just 'better' or not but I'd be incline to follow what Mazda say unless you can shed some light on how these things work :)

Sorry everything I drive is ancient. Even still i run copper plugs on a 4 cylinder producing 350BHP without any ill effects. ;)

Caporegime
Well, the AD08Rs are much more confidence inspiring even in the wet than the "I have no idea what brand that is" ditchfinders that were on the car when I got it.

Really hammers home just how utterly garbage "budget" tyres are, it was really really skittish this morning, and on the way home was great, and the tyres aren't even fully scrubbed in yet!

Soldato
They are pretty pants in the wet in my experience, will easily break loose in top gear at motorway speed when the boost comes on, kind of sketchy tbh. Pretty darn keen to aquaplane in corners too. I've gone through many sets on multiple cars so it's not an isolated case. They are very lacking indeed when compared to wet performance of Eagle F1 and similar.

Man of Honour
They are pretty pants in the wet in my experience, will easily break loose in top gear at motorway speed when the boost comes on, kind of sketchy tbh. Pretty darn keen to aquaplane in corners too. I've gone through many sets on multiple cars so it's not an isolated case. They are very lacking indeed when compared to wet performance of Eagle F1 and similar.

Skip to 1m44s that's WOT second , flatshift to third then the same into 4th. I only struggle with wet when trying to put full power down in 1st and 2nd (Although I don't make particularly big torque figures)

Associate
Find them good in the wet too, better than my old CSC5 road tyres, not too impressed with their dry braking versus my old Continentals though or the warm up time, can only carry marginally more corner speed too, though this is from a sprinting perspective, they are pretty good once up to temp and can consistently do laps into double figures at a trackday, Contis would melt in 3 :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom