My 2 weeks of Porsche ownership

Soldato
Nice! I really want to go on a trip to the highlands of Scotland, it looks awesome up there! The only thing that would make it even better would be to go in someone else's brand new Porsche!! What did Porsche say about their brand new car being keyed?

Soldato
OP
So it's expensive, constantly broken and everyone hates you to the extent that they deliberately damage your car.

Sounds great.

Its not constantly broken, first time it went it because the ignition cable had a problem, then second time was to service the car and fix a oil and coolant leak Nothing major really.

One day a 911 will be mine :)

I have wanted one for so long, and to be honest Its still more then I can afford but my wife wants kids, I'm 30 now so If i don't do it soon I will probably not be able to do it again until I am 50+:D

Didn't you have a 100 mile per day limit (before paying something like 20p per mile) on the courtesy car? 1200 mile journey... :o

Also "£175 to get it washed" :confused:

It did have a 100 mile per day limit but they said they don't mind if I go over it, but I asked first.

and the car wash, well it was more of a full detail, it took the guy a good 8 to 9 hours.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18387215&highlight=ceramishield

Gaygle, scotland was very nice, we stayed in the balmoral area the roads were so much fun to drive on.

OcUK Staff
Didn't you have a 100 mile per day limit (before paying something like 20p per mile) on the courtesy car? 1200 mile journey... :o

Also "£175 to get it washed" :confused:

When I had a Boxster S and Cayman R from Porsche, I did close to 500 miles in each, they never mentioned anything about mileage limits before or after returning the cars. :)

I am sticking with my 911 though, I preferre the rawness and only a GT3 can superceed that for me. :)

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Soldato
OP

DSC_0356.png

DSC_0362.jpg

:( Where do you live?
(

Not in a bad area, also they would have to walk down a massive driveway to get to the car so I have no idea why someone would do that.

Soldato
It did have a 100 mile per day limit but they said they don't mind if I go over it, but I asked first.

and the car wash, well it was more of a full detail, it took the guy a good 8 to 9 hours.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18387215&highlight=ceramishield
Fair enough. I did figure you probably meant a detail but surprised you called it "a wash" after having spent that money. :D

Nice of them to waive the 100 mile a day thing, I didn't even think to ask when I recently had one on loan. :) I'm really the worst kind of test driver though - I treat other peoples (even businesses) cars with kid gloves, never really get the measure of them or the full enjoyment as a consequence. Bit odd I guess. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Fair enough. I did figure you probably meant a detail but surprised you called it "a wash" after having spent that money. :D

Nice of them to waive the 100 mile a day thing, I didn't even think to ask when I recently had one on loan. :) I'm really the worst kind of test driver though - I treat other peoples (even businesses) cars with kid gloves, never really get the measure of them or the full enjoyment as a consequence. Bit odd I guess. :)

I agree I treat other peoples car the same way I treat my own, we had planed to take my own car on the trip but they dealer ended having to keep it for the weekend.

Soldato
OP
Small update.

I have been out of the country for a few months and was home over the weekend for the Olympic games.

I was all exited to take my car out as it has not been driven for ages.
I had to buy a new battery as it had a Collapsed cell - cost £200

I then took it for a drive and it seems that the suspension spring snapped :(, so the car went back to porsche for a new set rear springs.
At the same time they found that all 6 Ignition coil's needed to be replaced, something else was corroded so it was leaking oil and some other issue causing it to leak coolant.

This was all covered under warranty but I assume I would have had another £2k bill if I did not have a warranty on the car.

So in summery never buy a 911 without a OPC warranty as its GOING to cost you a lot to keep it on the road.

oh and I got a new set of alloys on ebay :), I am out of the uk again for a few months so did not really get to drive my car but I should be moving back soon.

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
So in summery never buy a 911 without a OPC warranty as its GOING to cost you a lot to keep it on the road.

On the whole I'd agree, although I know my folks had theirs for 2 years with no warranty. Did 20k or so in that time and it wasn't treated gently ;) Only bills over that time were over consumables were a failed light switch (£80 part, half hour for me to fit it) and comically a new key after one was driven over by a Honda (lawnmower :p).

Back
Top Bottom