My 2 weeks of Porsche ownership

Man of Honour
It's the RS cooling duct, wasn't standard on the 996 GT3 but was on the RS and many people had the RS bumper fitter to their 996 to aid cooling, such as my old one after it's new owner had a disagreement with a Fox (not that Fox).

3f1ac96b.jpg

9042737a.jpg

Soldato
OP
Right so I just got the car back from OPC after having some warranty work done, new brake fluid, 111 point check, 2 years warranty added, MOT done. Total cost = £2.5k.

I also got a new set of alloys and had to change the front 2 tyres:
http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/images/cars/8071.jpg

long story short, I have scratched the 911 itch that that has been bugging me for years but I just cant live with the car. I drive 2 hours per day and to be honest the car makes me tired, the clutch is too heavy, the nav is pants, it does not have bluetooth (you have to put your sim into the radio) and its just not comfortable enough for me. I think I am getting old.

I bought it with 34k on the clock, its now sitting on 38k. I probably spent the best part of £6k running it so its time for the car to go.

So what am I going to replace it with? I only need 2 seats, I am not bothered about Fuel Economy, I am willing to pay upto 1.5k per year for a warranty.

So top of my list is a Maserati Granturismo, then a V8V, then a PDK second Gen 911 (solves half the problem).

I quite like the look of this one but I will buy in January when my finances are a little better then they are now and I should have sold the 911 by then.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...radius/1501/quicksearch/true/page/1?logcode=p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sounds like you're ready for a Jaaaaaaaag. All downhill now. My dad is nearly 70 and he has a 911, just come back from a 3,000 mile round trip, loves it. Had a Cayman S too before and M3's. He's NEVER had a Jaaaaaag.

As I said, puff. :D

OcUK Staff
How has it cost you 6k in such short amount of miles? did it not have a warranty?

I've spent a lot of money messing with mine, modding it etc, but repair work and running cost have been.

2.2k for 2yr warranty with recovery
About £600 for full service, brake fluid and MOT
3k in brakes (track day usage and me cooking them)

I've done nearly 20k miles in mine and 8 track days and so far under warranty I've claimed for anything I've spotted which has being door membrane seal, squeaky seatbelt, exhaust tips and only major failure being an engine mount at which point they replaced both. In short warranty has paid for itself now. Best thing about warranty and owning a Porsche is the courtesy cars they give you. :D

Soldato
OP
Sounds like you're ready for a Jaaaaaaaag. All downhill now. My dad is nearly 70 and he has a 911, just come back from a 3,000 mile round trip, loves it. Had a Cayman S too before and M3's. He's NEVER had a Jaaaaaag.

As I said, puff. :D

lol im going in the same direction as Rotty.

How has it cost you 6k in such short amount of miles? did it not have a warranty?

I've spent a lot of money messing with mine, modding it etc, but repair work and running cost have been.

2.2k for 2yr warranty with recovery
About £600 for full service, brake fluid and MOT
3k in brakes (track day usage and me cooking them)

I've done nearly 20k miles in mine and 8 track days and so far under warranty I've claimed for anything I've spotted which has being door membrane seal, squeaky seatbelt, exhaust tips and only major failure being an engine mount at which point they replaced both. In short warranty has paid for itself now. Best thing about warranty and owning a Porsche is the courtesy cars they give you. :D

I have to admin I have really enjoyed the courtesy cars! I put about 1200 miles on a brand new 997 C2S some time back.

£6k was just a rough estimate based on 4 new tyres, new discs and pads, new battery, 4 new alloys, 2 years extra warranty, service, MOT, Tax. maybe it was a little less.

I got the car at a really good price so its I should make back a lot of the 6k anyway. I feel sorry for the guy I bought the car from, he owned it for 18 months and took a £20k hit on it.

OcUK Staff
lol im going in the same direction as Rotty.

I have to admin I have really enjoyed the courtesy cars! I put about 1200 miles on a brand new 997 C2S some time back.

£6k was just a rough estimate based on 4 new tyres, new discs and pads, new battery, 4 new alloys, 2 years extra warranty, service, MOT, Tax. maybe it was a little less.

I got the car at a really good price so its I should make back a lot of the 6k anyway. I feel sorry for the guy I bought the car from, he owned it for 18 months and took a £20k hit on it.

Well good luck with the sale as it's a buyers Market at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom