• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My A6-3670K mini-review

I gave my A8-3800 and that Gigabyte board I reviewed here to my Brother to replace his E7300 and 4850, he was impressed also with the onboard IGP of it.

That is also the 65W TDP A8 too isn't it? Nice videos in the review!

I really hope the 65W A10-5700 is more easily available,as I would really like to plonk one in the ISK110 mini-ITX case.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18433537

Posted some benches etc in here. The launch seems a bit of a shambles tbh, no drivers on AMDs site for this chip/chipset combo yet... The 12.8 betas really let this machine fly in games though, can't wait for some proper releases.

Eidt: Some of the reviews seem a bit suspect based on my experience with this laptop

Cool - have not seen many user reviews of the A10 yet!! Some laptops only have single channel RAM which could explain the lower performance.

I can find reviews on the mobile chips, but nothing on release or anything.
Name of laptop?

Why would AMD not big up their one product that crushes the competition (Their APU's)

NO COMPETITORS! sell Trinity based laptops.

Last edited:
Were you using the on board GPU's? Im assuming you were. Im somewhat surprised by these new APU's and the possibilities they open up for really cheap but strong gaming builds, nothing enthusiast level in my opinion but entering the high end spectrum of gaming.

I pulled my Phenom II 965BE out for a few days to test an APU, the A8 3870K, overclocked to 3.6GHz, using a Thor Hammer CPU Cooler, may have gotten it higher but 3.6GHz was great, really showed the performance increase. With mine though i used a HD6970 so all the bottlenecking was in the CPU, compared to the Phenom 965BE i noticed some games were laggier, or had loading stutters, one been Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Skyrim was also not great, it was pushed to the full settings including AA x 8 to really strain the card, i have a few videos of me running my Phenom II with Skyrim and recording wit ENB shaders, 2k textures a lot of other mods and getting 60fps clean, tried it with this CPU at it was struggling to get past 45fps with loading stutters.

Some games performed quite a bit better, mainly down to the higher clock speeds.

- Just Cause 2 - Desert Sunrise - Vysnc off - x8 AA - Ultra
Frames: 8564
Time: 118530ms
Avg: 72.252
Min: 50
Max: 526

and in Max Payne 3

2012-08-15 14:20:58 - MaxPayne3 - Vysnc Disabled - Chapter: Hangover sent from Mother nature
Frames: 13048
Time: 140386ms
Avg: 92.944
Min: 66
Max: 135

So with a HD6970, certain games that albeit may not be that CPU heavy perform amazingly. That just what i wanted to add, oh and it ran pretty hot as at 3.7GHz it would hit it max Tj of 70c and crash. Around 3.6GHz at full load i got it to 65c. So overclocked to 3.6GHz it performs in areas worse than the Phenom II 965BE and in areas better, video rendering was about 2 mins faster for example. Anyway get one of these and crossfire it with a 6670 and you have a pretty capable system.

Were you using the on board GPU's? Im assuming you were. Im somewhat surprised by these new APU's and the possibilities they open up for really cheap but strong gaming builds, nothing enthusiast level in my opinion but entering the high end spectrum of gaming.

Yes.

Can you run some benchmarks with Dual Graphics on and off? I have some bechmarks from my Llano laptop with it on/off somewhere but I want to see how well it performs on the desktop side.

The benchmarks were done only with the IGP enabled. I don't have an HD6570 or HD6670 so cannot test Hybrid Crossfire.

AMD APU's are pretty decent. It seems AMD found a nice comfy spot to pitch a tent for a while.

Good review. I like reading posts like this :D

Last edited:
I hope AMD see these APU's for what they are, as they have a great market intrest, from what ive seen and offer a console level/beating gaming PC.

I helped a freind build a A8-3870K, HD6670 and a simple £50 FM1 socket motherboard with a 500GB HDD. £235, he already had a case, cables and so on. I've owned the same CPU in the past so i overclocked it slightly to 3.2GHz on a stock cooler and we were playing Skyrim at 1920 x 1080 at medium with some high settings. Not bad for under £250. Frame Rates were edgy in places as its not the strongest CPU's in the world but for the price i was impressed.

Back
Top Bottom