My Boardman Wind Tunnel Session experience

Soldato
OK chaps, I decided to write this up on my photo blog site as it was a lot easier to lay it out (it's by no means a plug!!)

The link is here: http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/cycling/2018/11/boardman-wind-tunnel-session

I hope people find it useful, I would really consider the cost of it if you're taking things really seriously. People spend a lot more than that on bits of gear which might make negligible difference.

Oh.....and forgive my funky socks and shoes (my road bike is bright orange, so they go well with that!)

And no I'm not shaving my legs!!!!

Soldato
Looks great mate, even worth the money if you plan on taking TTs seriously.

The fast guys I see have a similar position, with their hands almost in front of their face compared to the sort of old school flat bars with elbows at 90 degrees.

Soldato
Could you see where you were going when they finished?

I spent all season chasing position on the bike and you can effectively do all those gains in one morning.

Just have to practice in the position and make sure you can hold good watts, come to the best compromise of power/drag.

I can’t push myself forward more but have a two position seatpost I’ll move back, or slide it on the rails and see if my legs are OK or not next year.

Soldato
OP
yes they said that position is becoming more popular, as it has the best gains usually.

I know it doesn't look like I can see where I'm going on the last front on shot, but it wasn't an issue (when looking at the mark they told me to). Of course I'm yet to ride this position on the road yet. I've ordered a set of the 40 degree bars, and if the weather is dry this weekend I might take it out for a quick spin to check everything.

Soldato
Awesome, great write up. Tempted to treat myself next year at some point. I do the club 10 once a year and in the summer months like to ride my TT rig once or twice a week, so knowing the numbers for me is a pure curiosity and we all like to go faster ;) Refining my fit is on my radar too, sorted my roady myself but TT setup is a different kettle of fish.

Interesting to note your CdA reduced from 2.6 to 2.2 overall.

From listening to TR podcasts sub 2 is 'world class' and as it happens one of the coaches was around 2.0~ straight out of the box :o very same coach that has a 4w/kg untrained/couch FTP :D

Soldato
OP
If you just want to quickly confirm that your current position is optimal then you could do the cheaper £200 session, I think that gives you 30 mins in the tunnel, and 1 hour overall. That would be enough for 4-5 runs, with some changes in between. I needed a bit longer as we made some more changes to the bike as it was brand new to me.

Went out on it yesterday and loved it. I found it quite tricky holding the position, mainly because Tweeks screwed me over and didn't deliver the 40 degree bars. So had to go out on the stock bars.
Even then, being severely jet lagged, I was quicker on loads of the roads that I have ridden hundreds of times before. Can't wait to get it fully set up!! (oh and for Spring too!

Soldato
@Shadowness - Good writeup and thanks for taking the time to do it and share with us :)

Looks awesome to be honest and I am very very keen for a session but due to location and money is very unlikely for me.

You are the mercy of having never ridden that bike outside/competed on it to get a feel for it beforehand. Although on the other hand you could say it's ideal to start off on the best foot possible before you do actually make use of the bike. So will be interesting to see how you get on as things do change a lot when you are outside and trying to put the power down in the position on the TT bike. Keep us posted on how you get on ( once scummy winter does one and we are all back outside on our TT bikes :) )

Soldato
OP
I did go out on Saturday for a quick test, but with the standard bars, which weren't ideal. I didn't have great support and I felt myself sliding forwards on the saddle often as I couldn't hold myself in the low position. Once I get the 40 degree bars I'll be able to stay in that position much better.

I sort of rode at TT pace for 5 miles (which is half of the local 10 mile course), managed to hold around 350W which was good, bearing in mind the position issues, and I had just landed from Vietnam that morning!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1969775368

PRs on roads I've ridden hundreds of times before, and many times with quite some effort of the normal road bike, so very encouraging so far!

Soldato
Great writeup and very interesting to see it all laid out with the data! Incredible changes considering the majority of that is arm position! :o

Back
Top Bottom