My bosses PC randomly switching off

Associate
Hey guys, since january my bosses PC randomly switches itself off. I first thought it was overheating. I went round there and as soon as windows booted up it switched off. I cracked open the case and no dust,i checked the fans, they were fine, booted into bios and checked temps, they were all fine. The random switch offs can happen as soon as the pc turns on, or its fine for 2 hours or so and then does it.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz
1gb Ram
Asus mobo (not sure which one)
Asus Extreme AX550 series ATi gfx card
WD 80gb Sata
Win Xp Sp2

Ive tried reseting the CMOS and loading default settings in the BIOS but it still does it. I checked all the cabling inside to make sure everything is in the right place and its fine. Im just stumped on what it could be?

Associate
as bledd but recheck all the physical connections first, make sure theres no foreign bodies (loose screws seem to recur), capacitors with blown tops or resistors hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

unplug and plug back the various connectors a few times to make sure they are all sound seated and not oxidised

amd cooler retention is better than intel push pins but check thats sound as well

Soldato
I had one that did this.
I checked all the usual suspects like heat etc but that was OK.
It then becomes a nightmare, and I was thinking motherboard (MSI Neo 2 soclet 939).
To cut a long story short I picked up mobo / chip / cooler / ram in the for sale forum here for £100 and fitted that instead.
Yes I had to get a graphics card also but I ended up with a low end dual core conroe cpu etc and it works.

What I'm saying....once stuff gets old its often just as easy to get something that works and is newer that messing with old second hand stuff.
Time = money etc.

Associate
Funnily enough my PC was doing the same and after a bit of looking about on the Asus forums, it seems so have others.

I bet it's the Asus A8V board (mines is the deluxe model).

I have tried everything and still nothing. It has gone beyond the rebooting now and noe the PC boots up but there is no signal going to the mouse, keyboard or monitor.

It seems particularly strange to me that this model of board is going down at pretty much the same time with many different people.

Associate
OP
Funnily enough my PC was doing the same and after a bit of looking about on the Asus forums, it seems so have others.

I bet it's the Asus A8V board (mines is the deluxe model).

I have tried everything and still nothing. It has gone beyond the rebooting now and noe the PC boots up but there is no signal going to the mouse, keyboard or monitor.

It seems particularly strange to me that this model of board is going down at pretty much the same time with many different people.

Yes thats the board! Looks just a mobo change then?

Associate
leave the system on the bios for a couple of hours.

Disable automatic restart, chance it could be a BSOD and you aren't catching the code as it restarts.

how many memory modules are there? if more than two remove one and test each at a time.

try another hdd?

Bios update?

Load defaults on bios if possible

Back
Top Bottom