My Current Build - Looking for Upgrade Tips

Associate
First off, thank you for your anticipated support guys. I am a self-taught techno noob, who managed to build his PC (hardware) but I try to avoid the software side of things.

Anyway, please can you inspect my current build and advise on upgrades.
My ambition is for a PC to support high-end gaming, streaming and rendering of gaming videos (30-minutes long).

Current Build:
Asus VE278H 27-inch Widescreen LED Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2ms, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI)
ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER & ThermalTake Contac21 Cooler
INTEL Core i7 4790K OC 4.5Ghz - This came pre-overclocked by a manufacturer, however, I believe I messed with some Bios settings and reset it to 4.0Ghz. Oops.
HyperX FURY Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module
ASUS STRIX-GTX 960-DC2OC-2GD5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 GB Graphics Card
EVGA Supernova 850W Power Supply Unit
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive - For OS and a select few games.
SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960 GB SATA III 2.5 inch Internal SSD

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,

DC

Soldato
I would upgrade to a GTX 1070 - a bit overkill at 1080p but would max out all and future games and will help with your streaming.

I would recommend 16GB memory for your spec too - more for the gaming aspect but will probably have positive knock on effects for your streaming too - and may help a bit with rendering but it's all about the CPU.

EDIT: And welcome to the forums.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Good morning,

Thank you for the proper introductions to the forum.

I will investigate the GTX 1070.

May I ask your opinion on the RAM Mhz?
My Motherboard on ASUS website claims only to take DDR3 up to 3300(OC) Mhz, any thoughts around this and what Mhz RAM I should take.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

DC

Soldato
INTEL Core i7 4790K OC 4.5Ghz - This came pre-overclocked by a manufacturer, however, I believe I messed with some Bios settings and reset it to 4.0Ghz. Oops.
Have you updated your BIOS?

If you haven't then you will probably have a profile saved within your BIOS which you could load and get it back. Then add in your amendments and save a second profile.

If you haven't got a profile saved call the supplier- - and they should be able to send you a rough guide of your original settings (if not an exact copy).

I mention this as it will be important for the speed gains you want - especially when rendering/streaming.

May I ask your opinion on the RAM Mhz?
My Motherboard on ASUS website claims only to take DDR3 up to 3300(OC) Mhz, any thoughts around this and what Mhz RAM I should take.

Your setup is capable of running higher specced memory, even though it's classed as OC, and it shouldn't have a problem hitting above 1600MHz - certainly 2000MHz+. But you would need to check Asus's memory compatibility sheet or do a separate post in the motherboard forums regarding your board/CPU to get a clearer idea. However, as the memory controller is on the CPU it will increase its temps - and could also affect your clock if you run significantly higher MHz memory.

BIOS updates will have helped with memory compatibility - but this would wipe your clock (and profile) for good if it's saved...

The other issue is that if you got higher specced memory it would make the 1600MHz redundant as it would not be able to run along side it at those speeds. So you would have to buy 16Gb of faster memory and replace the original sticks. Or match the your present memory and run 4 stick of 1600Mhz (but again this could affect your clock - nothing is simple. But i've filled 4 slots on a couple of boards and not had a problem but i knew the clock.)

I would post in the Overclocking and Cooling Forum and do a dedicated post, listing your rig, with clock, and ask advice about retaining your clock with higher memory speeds/recommended memory for your MB and/or filling all 4 slots.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Really appreciate all of your comments so far.

I am not technically minded to understand clock speeds of RAM etc, so I think I will stick to a "standard" Mhz spec'd DDR3 RAM, but just pump more into my MB. Say at least 16GB, rather than my current 8GB.

I bought the Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 over 2-years ago now and I went for the "budget" option at the time. So I think this time, I'll be looking for the recommended GTX 1070, aiming for at least 3-years' worth of service.
On top of this, although budget depending, I may be considering a higher frequency monitor for the actual gaming screen. Thus enabling my current monitor to become a 2nd screen for streaming/chat duties.

I will investigate further the Bios situation, potentially looking to run a full system restore on my PC and start afresh.

Thank you again for your help so far, any ideas/thoughts are always welcome.

Regards,

DC

Soldato
NP

The GTX 1070 will give a mighty boost to your system in games - you wont be disappointed.

The clock would be advantageous to get back - and if you haven't updated the BIOS the profile is probably sitting in your BIOS ready to be loaded up (very simple - flick through your manual).

If you're happy at 1600MHz then i would buy 16GB of matched memory - as you may be able to run the 8Gb along side it. In theory it should - reality - sometimes you can run into problems. But as mentioned running 4 sticks may affect your clock if you get it back...

Associate
OP
Just wanted to provide an update to all.

I have since bought an ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB and 16GB 1866Mhz Corsair RAM (2x 8GB). Yet to install them, but I am sure it will be a great boon to my system.

On the hype of building an ever powerful rig, contemplating a 144Hz Monitor (preferably 27"), mechanical keyboard and new mouse. Although these all add up to some significant investments!

Regards,

DC

Soldato
contemplating a 144Hz Monitor (preferably 27")
I am an Intel/Nvidia fanboy, so I just want the most compatible setup.
AOC -AGON AG241QG - 24" 1440p 165Hz Gsync @ £379.

It's a pure gaming monitor - TN Panel - and would compliment the GTX 1070 nicely at 1440p. Seems to fit part of your brief if size isn't too much of an issue...

Acer Predator 27" 1080p 144 Hz G-Sync @ £398

Big money jump for 27" G-sync - at 1440p.

Friendly heads up - i would remove the competitors link before a mod sees it - against forum rules.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
AOC -AGON AG241QG - 24" 1440p 165Hz Gsync @ £379.

It's a pure gaming monitor - TN Panel - and would compliment the GTX 1070 nicely at 1440p. Seems to fit part of your brief if size isn't too much of an issue...

Acer Predator 27" 1080p 144 Hz G-Sync @ £398

Big money jump for 27" G-sync - at 1440p.

Friendly heads up - i would remove the competitors link before a mod sees it - against forum rules.

Firstly, thank you for the heads up around forum rules as I am an ignorant rule breaker. Who reads them anyway?! :D
I've since edited my post.

Secondly, your recommendations have been extremely valuable!
I am leading towards the Acer Predator monitor, but since I am due to disappear for a few weeks I've placed it on my Wish List for the time being. A purchase in June most likely.

Thank you so much Plec.

Regards,

DC

Associate
OP
Ive also got the benq xl2411 monitor using my 970 ive no complaints. just make sure when you buy a 144Hz monitor to go into youre display settings and change it from 60Hz to 144Hz

Hi there,

Thank you for the heads up around changing the display settings, I am definitely one of those people who believe they have the best of the best only to find out some settings are still set at default! :p
Your recommendation seems to be a real good value for money option, I'll add it to my Wish List and review all options in June.

Regards,

DC

Associate
Hi jbh110tdi,

I put the hardware together myself, but the Motherboard and CPU came pre-built and Overclocked.

Regards,

DC
depending on youre cooler you should be able to achieve same overclock if not higher with some reading up.
Ive got the same CPU and can get to 4.8 and still had head room. though I have dropped it back to 4.6Ghz for 24/7 use
I did consider leaving it higher but even at 4.6Ghz my machine blasts through anything I want it to do.

Associate
Hi there,

Thank you for the heads up around changing the display settings, I am definitely one of those people who believe they have the best of the best only to find out some settings are still set at default! :p
Your recommendation seems to be a real good value for money option, I'll add it to my Wish List and review all options in June.

Regards,

DC
Here are some links to play around with if you get the benq 144hz panel https://www.blurbusters.com/benq/v2-firmware-included/ http://www.testufo.com/#photo=alien...=1.4.0.0&strobeutilstatus=detected&test=photo https://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0 The moving pictures are to test out blur reduction .. here is the IC profile I use in this article the 2420z 144hz on the bottom of the page https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z/ ..And don't mess around with the Display Pilot that comes on the dvd with the monitor windows 10 doesn't like it ...

Back
Top Bottom