My dripping tap

Associate
Ever since our kitchen was fitted the cold tap ‘dribbles’ after I’ve turned it off. It has ceramic washers and the hot side doesn’t do it, just the cold. It is very annoying so if there is a way of stopping it without buying a new tap I’d like to know what it is, or am I forever destined to suffer this interminable irritation.

Associate
How old is it? Can you not get the installers to sort it out?

If not there's a cartridge inside you can switch over - as mentioned just need the make/model of the tap to identify the correct one.
alternatively a decent plumbers merchants maybe able to match it for you.

Can also easily pickup replacements from eBay or Amazon.

Associate
OP
It will be about 5 years old now and was put in by the builder when we were renovating he house. I’ll take the handle off and get the cartridge out. I was hoping to avoid doing that - not done it before.
It’s a Reginox Elbe mixer, they seem quite widespread but probably as a result of being cheap with a package deal with sinks.

Caporegime
Consider replacing the whole tap with a nicer one of your choice. Kitchen taps have become a bit of a 'feature' and you can get some nice ones with funky hoses etc. to make washing up easier. Why do you say without replacing the whole tap in OP? Money?

We had that exact tap and it a) looked old fashioned and b) was ropey in terms of build quality.

Soldato
We have the same tap, and have the same issue. Funnily enough, the hot side cartridge began leaking and making a whine the other week, so I replaced them both (~6quid from screwfix). Fixed the leak + whine, but not the dribble.

I think it's down to the design, with the bent over section sucking water beyond the valves out of the end. Having said that, countless other taps have a similar design but don't suffer this.

Problem I have is i look at taps in the 100-150 range and have no idea if they are materially better than this one, whereas premimum brands are 500-750+ quid. For a bloody tap. As if!! The manafacturers are a bit of a minefield - I'm assuming that most taps are just rebadged.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom