• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My E3 1230V5 is bottlenecking my GTX 1070 and I don't know why

Associate
So I built my new PC yesterday problem is I am getting the same performance I was having with my E5645 overclocked to 4.2ghzs.

My specs:

E3 1230V5 OC to 4.4ghzs around 980 points in Cinebench R15 (I7 6700K Xeon equivelent)

16GB Corsair LED RAM running at 2080mhzs (CPU has a limit of 2133mhzs on the RAM)

Asrock E3V5 Gaming OC

GTX 1070 OC to 2114 on core and 9180 on the memory

500GB HDD+ 1TB HDD+ 240GB SSD

I also changed the PCIE Link Speed to GEN 3 to make sure that wasn't the bottleneck

The game I checked with was CS GO which gave me about 30-60% GPU usage on both CPU's I'll have to do further testing but I had a similar story with mafia 3 where gpu usage was about 70-99 which is about the same performance I got on the E5645. Maybe the overclock is dodgy I dunno I'll have to do further testing over the weekend. Please send me suggestions.

Associate
OP
Isn't that the whole point to put it a scenario where it's CPU bound and see how much a of a bottleneck there is. Also this might be not worthy, when I reinstalled Windows yesterday I didn't format the drives with my games on only the C drive where I had Windows installed.

Associate
It depends on the game. A game like CSGO just isn't demanding for the GPU to the point where the CPU will always be the limiting factor.

Associate
OP
V-sync is off I get about 200-300 frames maxed at 1080p but gpu usage is around 40-50% most of the time. Hence why I created this post other wise it would have been a good 400 quid for Mobo, RAM and CPU for nothing.

Associate
are they multiplier unlocked? or did you oc via the bus?
What was my first question too. I'm sure the OP can give more details, but I found a review of that board, it seems it's now offically called the ASRock E3V5 Performance Gaming. But looking for overclocking in that review I spotted this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10294/the-asrock-e3v5-performance-gaming-c232-motherboard-review
Originally called the E3V5 Performance Gaming OC, before base clock overclocking was given a shiv and told to be quiet, this motherboard brings over a number of ASRock’s Gaming motherboard feature set, with the focus being predominantly on single discrete graphics and the use cases therein.
Anyway, it seems overclocking only works with very old BIOS's after Intel killed Skylake non-K overclocking, and yes it's FSB clocking like what EuroGamer were able to do with their i5-6500 where they managed 141 FSB for a 4.51GHz.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-locked-intel-cpus-can-now-be-overclocked

Associate
OP
Ok, so I did more testing over the weekend and performance seems to be where should be in most games, I got the CPU running at 4.35 ghzs with 1.35 volts, also I figured out how to run the ram above 2133 and boot and is therefore running at 2780mhzs with 1.35 volts and 15-16-16-40 timings.

Associate
OP
Just annoyed with CS GO performance (but what you do?) and GTA 5 because as soon you run into traffic GPU usage drops from 90-99 to 50%. Then you go play something like BF1 where GPU usage is 99% all the time with it maxed at 1080p and over a 100 fps and your like WTF.

Back
Top Bottom