my e6600 is a little warm

Soldato
well ive had the pc a few weeks now, and its awesomely fast (e6600, p5w, 8800gtx) but the one thing that does bother me is the cpu.

i've currently got it running at 3.23ghz @ 1.35v or thereabouts but Intel TAT reports temps in the low 70's under load which is a good 10c hotter than it should be. ive re-seated the heatsink twice and checked the IHS for any problems - its flat enough to not cause any problems. i just dont know what else it could be.

This is with a tuniq tower btw. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Associate
try mounting the cooler in a different direction (i.e. rotating it 90, 180 or 270 degrees) i did this over the weekend with my zalman and temperatures dropped 10C on my P5WDH deluxe, so i can only conclude that there was something stopping it making a good connection with the core.

Certainly worth a go :)

Associate
but Intel TAT reports temps in the low 70's under load which is a good 10c hotter than it should be.

What do you mean hotter than it should be? What exactly are you comparing it against may I ask? Remember TAT measures the temp from within the CPU itself this means the readings can be anything up to 14C higher than a system that measures the temp from the sensor diode located underneath the CPU socket, the process most other utilities use including Asus Probe.

The C2D is meant to be able to go up tp 85C using TAT before it self throttes.

Soldato
OP
The Laughing Ma said:
What do you mean hotter than it should be? What exactly are you comparing it against may I ask? Remember TAT measures the temp from within the CPU itself this means the readings can be anything up to 14C higher than a system that measures the temp from the sensor diode located underneath the CPU socket, the process most other utilities use including Asus Probe.

The C2D is meant to be able to go up tp 85C using TAT before it self throttes.

im comparing it to other people with the same cpu motherboard and cooler :)

Associate
on stock cooling, i was running 55 idle. Which was ok considering i was at 3.4ghz and stock cooling, i have bumped it back too 2.6ghz for now. When my artic freezer comes im going back up.

Associate
james.miller said:
This is with a tuniq tower btw. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Replace the stock fan in the Tuniq with a Nexus fan - I did, and my temps went from 57 under load to 47 under load, and it was quieter!

IMHO, the tuniq is an amazing heatsink marred by problems with noisy fans (although not all ones it seems, luck of the draw).

Associate
james.miller said:
ill give that a go - mine is awfully noisy at full pelt

I'd seriously recommend it, Nexus, or other 'premium' fans should do the trick. I have it on 100% all the time, and I cannot hear it above my PSU/other fans (and they aren't exactly noisy).

I think at 7v it would be silent.

Soldato
OP
ive just checked the fan and theres absolutely bugger all airflow through that heatsink. the fan does move a lot of air but not when its inside :confused: ive got a titan aluminium fan i can try but i've not got my hopes up if theres no airflow through that heatsink

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
it was a ninja but i didn't change it. it was sold along with my old opteron rig. i am absolutely convinced that the restrictive nature of this tuniq is doing nothing for temperatures, convincide enough to try another ninja lol

Back
Top Bottom