My first full build, HTPC pics etc...

Associate
Hi all, just thought i'd share the specs and pics of my first full pc build :) I'm going to replace the stock 140mm corsair fan for a Noctua unit.

Comments welcome.

Spec:

Case - Corsair 250D
Mohterboard - Asus B150i pro gaming/wifi/aura
CPU - i3 6100
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-L9i
GPU - MSI GTX970
PSU - Corsair RM850X
RAM - Kingston HyperX 16GB FURY Black Heatsink (2x8GB) DDR4 2133Mz
SSD - Kingston UV400 240gb ssd
HDD - WD Green 2TB
Blu ray drive - Pioneer BDR-S09XLT
Case Fans - 2 x Nzxt 120mm 1 x 140mm LED Corsair
Windows - 10 Home 64bit

Forgot the GPU in the pic :(

Associate
OP
Looks good.

What prompted the 850W PSU? Wouldn't it have been better with a smaller, fanless part?

Ha ha I know. I upgraded the main pc so used the one from that for this. The fans don't move under light/medium load so is silent :)

Soldato
Ha ha I know. I upgraded the main pc so used the one from that for this. The fans don't move under light/medium load so is silent :)

Got you. The way you showed it boxed implied that it was purchased for this build.

I'm building a similar rig myself, but just for file storage\DNLA server etc hence the interest.

I was looking at the T version of the i3 6100, as it's only a 35W part. Might help keep the noise\temps down a little further!

Associate
OP
Got you. The way you showed it boxed implied that it was purchased for this build.

I'm building a similar rig myself, but just for file storage\DNLA server etc hence the interest.

I was looking at the T version of the i3 6100, as it's only a 35W part. Might help keep the noise\temps down a little further!

This idles at 29/30°c.

Associate
How do you check the watts?

With something like this:
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Kill-a-Watt.htm

Or just search online for "watt meter", "energy meter", "power meter", etc.

They range in price from 10€ to 50€.

Note: this is not suitable for measuring wattage of individual components, though. As in, you can't measure only GPU or CPU.

For individual components, you can try something like this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Zalman_CPU_VGA_Power_Meter

But from what I've read, it's not actually that accurate. Nevertheless, it should still give a fairly decent ballpark to compare.

Associate
OP
Ah OK just wondered if I could use an app. Not bothered about the power usage so I'll pass on buying something. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom