My first monitor

Associate
Ever since I built my first pc I've been using a 22" 1080 monitor which was given to me by a friend, how ever like a lot of people I am now working from home. 22" was alright for the games I play, (RTS like CoH, FPS like Destiny 2 and City sims) how ever I am finding that it's just not wide enough for my work, at work I have two 27" Dell monitors, I'm not sure what the model number is.

However I don't have space in my home office for two 27" monitors so I was thinking of going down the ultrawide route. However I genuinly don't have the first idea of what I'm looking for when it comes to monitors.

Here are a few which are with in my price range for a decent monitor, I'm willing to spend a little bit over £650 but I'm not wanting to go crazy so sub £800 would be for a good monitor. As I've had my current gifted monitor for nearly 10 years. Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £3,088.86 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Soldato
Well first things first
Ips - color accurate best viewing angles
Pva/va - semi accurate good viewing angles
TN - not accurate bad viewing angles

Refresh rate higher fast response if FPs matches or higher

Forget dynamic contrast means sod all.

Resolution - high better depending on GPU power for games at least

Would suggest 32" or more for 4k 3840*2160 27" is little to small to get full experience.

HDR better colours between light dark in same scene

Im bit of a monitor hoarder got 8 gsync displays
However I love and hate ultra wide
When it works it's cool but most of the time it fails.

Not used me Acer x34 in over a year after paying £1200 on it.

Trouble is lot of games don't work well with UW.
Especially old games and some multiplayer games like overwatch.

If it doesn't work you get a 16:9 display with massive side bars. You can tweak config on most games to support 21:9 some work flawlessly most have drawbacks like cropping images / zooming
Some have no fix.

Of your happy to tweak configs for games go ahead. I used to but cba anymore as some game updates revert your changes.

For clarification and for people who say I've not tried it I have the following screens

Asus pg278q 1440 144hz
Asus pg27aq 4k 60hz
Acer x34
Acer 27 240hz 1080p
Samsung 32" 2560*1600 old

4k 60hz and 1440p 144hz gets most use depending on game. But I hate TN has to be va ips now days
Acer x34 has been gathering dust probably will sell it one day...

Associate
OP
Thanks for the detailed respone, my GPU is currently a vega 56, though I'm looking to upgrade my pc come november time so that will change, which could be green or red, I have read that most of the more recent freesync monitors also now support gsync in one way or another.

I'll have to have a look into the main games I play and see if they support UW, otherwise I think it's two 16:9 panels.

Soldato
Thanks for the detailed respone, my GPU is currently a vega 56, though I'm looking to upgrade my pc come november time so that will change, which could be green or red, I have read that most of the more recent freesync monitors also now support gsync in one way or another.

I'll have to have a look into the main games I play and see if they support UW, otherwise I think it's two 16:9 panels.
Here's one example
http://www.mystgraphics.com/OverwatchForumImages/MaximizingPerformance/Screenshot21-9Comparison.jpg

Blizzard zoom in 21:9 so your lose vertical space so you actually lose picture

Back
Top Bottom