My first pic post!

Associate
Just a couple from Manchester Airport on Friday :) My first posts since I bought my first dSLR so be nice! :)

bamoon.jpg

csa.jpg

Any thoughts?

Phil

Soldato
Yeah very nice shots. I only noticed the moon in the top right hand corner of the BA pic.

I live in Salford so if I get a camera in the summer I'd probably go down to Manchester Airport to take some pics and learn my trade.

Do you just go down there? Is there an area to take pictures or can you just go to the top of carparks or whatever? I presume you don't have to have a permit or pre-arrange permission?

At home I'm nearer to Luton airport, so I'd rather go to Heathrow to take plane pics.

Associate
OP
MarcLister said:
Yeah very nice shots. I only noticed the moon in the top right hand corner of the BA pic.

I live in Salford so if I get a camera in the summer I'd probably go down to Manchester Airport to take some pics and learn my trade.

Do you just go down there? Is there an area to take pictures or can you just go to the top of carparks or whatever? I presume you don't have to have a permit or pre-arrange permission?

At home I'm nearer to Luton airport, so I'd rather go to Heathrow to take plane pics.

Are you a Salford student? I'm doing Digital 3D Design on Adelphi campus if you are! I took those 2 shots from a small field at the end of the runway, but theres also a decent pub you can go to right next to the runway/taxi way which is great for photos, there is a spectators area on the main carpark and also a viewing park where they have concorde and a couple of other planes :) Don't need a permit or anything......at least I didn't get caught if you do! :p

Thanks for the comments everyone! Much appreciated, might be a bit more confident posting more in the future :)

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

The first is a very lovely composition, although I think the highlights of the plane could be bought out a little more, maybe a little bit to much contrast? - Could just be my monitor though.

Tom

Soldato
philio16 said:
...but theres also a decent pub you can go to right next to the runway/taxi way which is great for photos...

The Airport Hotel (or maybe that's just what i called it when i was younger)?

Can actually quite clearly see the people through the windows of the planes taxi'ing from that beer garden, used to love it as a kid.

Probably still would if i ever go back. :D

Soldato
philio16 said:
Are you a Salford student? I'm doing Digital 3D Design on Adelphi campus if you are! I took those 2 shots from a small field at the end of the runway, but theres also a decent pub you can go to right next to the runway/taxi way which is great for photos, there is a spectators area on the main carpark and also a viewing park where they have concorde and a couple of other planes :) Don't need a permit or anything......at least I didn't get caught if you do! :p

Thanks for the comments everyone! Much appreciated, might be a bit more confident posting more in the future :)
Yep Computer Science on the main campus in Newton building.

Thanks for the info, might head down there sometime if I get a camera.

Associate
OP
Spunj99 said:
The Airport Hotel (or maybe that's just what i called it when i was younger)?

Can actually quite clearly see the people through the windows of the planes taxi'ing from that beer garden, used to love it as a kid.

Probably still would if i ever go back. :D

Thats the one :) Hasn't changed it's name either! I was going to go in there myself but it was only just gone midday and didn't fancy a pint that early and on my own :p

Marclister, what year are you in? Only a newbie 1st year here!

Again, thanks for the positiveness everyone :D

Soldato
Ooh this is my sort of photographer :)

Its good to keep the moon included in the shot in the first but i think some pre-crop rotation would have make it look better, having the plane level.

The second, again, a nice capture but I dont see why it has to be so wide, try and keep plane shots nice and square with the subject in the middle, well, unless its miliraty stuff then thats a different story, but for takeoff/landing shots I find a simple square shot works better. Just one niggle and I think the shadow/highlight tool has been a bit over used, its nice to bring out the detail of the undercarriage but you can do it too much and it just doesnt look right.

Other than that, I may see you at manchester sometime, I should be going up on thursday if the weater is dry if you want to meet up give me a shout and we can arrange something :)

olv

olv

Soldato
lukechad said:
The second, again, a nice capture but I dont see why it has to be so wide, try and keep plane shots nice and square with the subject in the middle, well, unless its miliraty stuff then thats a different story, but for takeoff/landing shots I find a simple square shot works better.

i'd have to disagree there. Usually plane shots send me to sleep, they are just dull subjects in my personal opinion, and this is emphasised for me when they are just cropped square and central. Here the composition adds a bit more interest with the plane offset :)

Associate
OP
lukechad said:
Ooh this is my sort of photographer :)

Its good to keep the moon included in the shot in the first but i think some pre-crop rotation would have make it look better, having the plane level.

The second, again, a nice capture but I dont see why it has to be so wide, try and keep plane shots nice and square with the subject in the middle, well, unless its miliraty stuff then thats a different story, but for takeoff/landing shots I find a simple square shot works better. Just one niggle and I think the shadow/highlight tool has been a bit over used, its nice to bring out the detail of the undercarriage but you can do it too much and it just doesnt look right.

Other than that, I may see you at manchester sometime, I should be going up on thursday if the weater is dry if you want to meet up give me a shout and we can arrange something :)

The first pic does look a bit wonky now you point it out :)

I agree with you to an extent, however I thought I'd experiment with something I read on here about leaving space for the plane/car to fly/drive in to. May have over done it, but everyone will think slightly different here I guess! Unfortunately have uni on Thursday and I can't miss it as it's a presentation that I have to do :( But it would be cool to see how you (and others?) work sometime! :)

Back
Top Bottom