My Golf R Estate has arrived

Soldato
My scricco R was delivered yesterday. All good except the delivery driver kerbed the front o/s alloy! Dealer wants to repair it using a chips away type company.
Seems like a fairly good car, enjoying the turbo.

Observations compared to my previous sport tech mx5.
Its quicker as expected
Steering feels wooden, no feel
Sound quality from the infotainment system is not as good as the BOSE i had previously.

Soldato
OP
These are the options I will be looking at...

Special metallic - Lapiz blue £610
Winter pack - Golf (when ordered with Bi-Xenon headlights and leather upholstery) - £250.0
Dynamic chassis control - £830.0
19" Pretoria alloy wheels - £895.0
Dynaudio sound pack - Golf SE/GT/Match/R-Line - £545.0
Vienna leather - Black + 12 way electric adjustable driver seat + heated front sport seats + lumbar support - £2395.0

Anyway, would love to be kept updated with ongoing views on the car, and, heaven forbid, fuel economy, lol.
Nice spec - I do like the 19" Pretoria wheels

Fuel economy - I'm expecting to get around 32-35 mpg overall average which is about 12-9mpg less than my petrol 1 Series. This equates to an approx extra £400 per year on fuel (10k miles) which isn't a significant increase (also factoring in the higher cost of 99RON vs 95RON fuel)

Associate
From my own experience of a test drive in a 2013 m135i the R feels more planted and direct on the road. The chassis and steering give more confidence than I found in the old m. Maybe the new m135i has improved I need to test drive one :D

I got my R estate a few weeks ago, its simply too safe for my liking :), M135i is softer and more compliant and it goes sideways very easily.

Hoping some snow and ice will improve the fun factor.

Would disagree the R is better inside, it rattles and creaks a lot more than my M135i

But still in the end I bought it for family duties and a ridiculously cheap lease deal, in that respect the car is for me pretty much perfect

mine is white btw

p.s. fuel economy for the moment is gash compared to my modified m135i, hoping a few thousand miles will improve things [even allowing for new engine and cold weather factors]

Soldato
OP
I'm impressed by the amount of storage areas in the front.

In the 1 Series I had to pay extra for a small storage area by the steering wheel and some crappy nets behind the front seats - that was it.

In the Golf, as standard there are loads more places to put things:
  • A pull out tray under each front seat
  • sunglasses storage in the roof
  • press out cover storage under the climate controls
  • much deeper arm rest storage
  • under steering wheel storage
  • massive door bins with angled drinks bottle space
  • proper seat pockets
  • cup holders which actually hold drinks securely and don't get in the way of the gear stick

.....and they are all felt lined :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lapiz Blue looks amazing

22792765231_50550edd5d_o.jpg

Man of Honour
That sort of blue just looks great on most cars IMO. Hence why I love my azure blue 350Z, such a nice colour!

Nice car hope you enjoy it!

Amazing that you get all that from just a 2L engine. Shame it is only a 4pot though. :p

Is there any turbo lag or is it pretty much torquey all the way through?

Soldato
OP
Is there any turbo lag or is it pretty much torquey all the way through?
I'm no expert in turbo lag vs no lag so can't answer that one myself.
However, a recent RS4 vs Golf R Estate Autocar article can

There is no lag and its sound is so clean and cultured that you’d think there was nothing interrupting the flow of its gases from combustion chamber to outside world.............the wall of torque maintains thrust regardless
Source : http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/vw-golf-r-vs-audi-rs4-comparison

Associate
WOW i had no idea they even did an estate version, it looks so much better as an estate than the regular golf, Id take that over any 3 series estate that's for sure and that's coming from a f30 3 series driver, not for much longer how ever.

Back
Top Bottom