My Golf R Estate has arrived

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP>
Something I'm a bit confused about. You mentioned that the key reason for choosing the Golf over most of the other cars mentioned at the start, was because of having a bigger boot. If that was such a priority, which not buy an Octavia, or even bigger estate or MPV?

Soldato
OP
The Octavia is slower, doesn't have four wheel drive and boot space is the same.
Similar performance 4x4's are LOL prices and heavy.
MPV's - nothing comes close.

Man of Honour
Can you explain how you considered the F-Pace when it didn't even exist when you placed your order?

Come on, you threw it in the list so everyone would go 'Wow, look at those amazing cars he considered' didn't you :p

Soldato
Oh :/

Looks like I wouldn't have one at all then, still looks lovely though :)

Have you driven a modern "sporty" auto? I too was a manual only sort of person, but my experience with the auto in my 5 series has shown just how good automatic boxes can be. I would only have had the R estate with the DSG box myself. Even if only for how well it works with the adaptive cruise that is also standard.

OP>
Something I'm a bit confused about. You mentioned that the key reason for choosing the Golf over most of the other cars mentioned at the start, was because of having a bigger boot. If that was such a priority, which not buy an Octavia, or even bigger estate or MPV?

To be honest, everything else is more of a compromise.

The boot in the Golf estate looks huge. I'm sure it is easily the equal of the Octavia, but probably close to the Superb too. I'm not convinced it'll be quite as big as that in my F11 5 series, or an E-Class, but I doubt there would be much in it. The E-Class estate is pretty much the biggest boot you can get while remaining an actual car. Beyond that you're looking at MPV's and SUV's, and they are BIG money if you want any resemblance of performance, both to buy and to run.

But none of them have 4wd (SUV's aside). And none of them have a 300 BHP 4 pot that'll be capable of 40+ mpg "on a run".

The Golf R estate looks to me at least, to be the best compromise between practicality, performance and economy. And I always though that my 530d was pretty close to being the best at all of that. Although I'm sure, on average, my 530d has a good 5 mpg on the R estate, the R beats it on performance.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;28769876 said:
Can you explain how you considered the F-Pace when it didn't even exist when you placed your order?

Come on, you threw it in the list so everyone would go 'Wow, look at those amazing cars he considered' didn't you :p

The F-Pace wasn't a consideration when I ordered it. I checked it out when info was available and found the 3 litre petrol S model to have identical performance, space and drive. The extra £20k gets you a Jag badge and a better quality interior. Plus a family member works for JLR so a potential discount could make it a viable option in 2 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I like the blue interior ambient lighting. The brightness can be adjusted from off up to 100%.

22165336163_2e1af0c9b3_o.jpg

Soldato
260 delivery miles? Mental. I'm assuming either you had to drive 250 miles from picking the car up, or someone drove it to you?

I've always had 8-15 miles on a new car when I get it.

Soldato
OP
I also like the very bright led's when you open the doors at night

done any launches yet ?

No launches yet. I did a 20-60mph flat out which scared my partner :D.

260 driven delivery miles !?!? Usually above 100 miles they truck it to the customer.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28769876 said:

Exactly what I thought when I saw that :D

Associate
No launches yet. I did a 20-60mph flat out which scared my partner :D.

260 driven delivery miles !?!? Usually above 100 miles they truck it to the customer.

it was extra for a trailer delivery and my contract mileage starts after delivery so it seemed a decent idea to get some miles under it to make sure everything was 100%

the novelty of a car with zero delivery miles wears off quite quickly for me

driver was a sweet young lady who looked like she had driven much more powerful cars so not bothered in the slightest tbh

Last edited:
Soldato
it was extra for a trailer delivery and my contract mileage starts after delivery so it seemed a decent idea to get some miles under it to make sure everything was 100%

the novelty of a car with zero delivery miles wears off quite quickly for me

driver was a sweet young lady who looked like she had driven much more powerful cars so not bothered in the slightest tbh

Fair enough. But then if someone else ragged it to within an inch of it's life for the 260 miles before you got a hold of it??? I can't imagine the guy whos job it is to drive a car across the country wouldn't have launch the brand new Golf R. I know a few people who had jobs like this, and driving a car like the R is a bit more of a novelty than the usual diesel Insignias, so ragged them.

Associate
Fair enough. But then if someone else ragged it to within an inch of it's life for the 260 miles before you got a hold of it??? I can't imagine the guy whos job it is to drive a car across the country wouldn't have launch the brand new Golf R. I know a few people who had jobs like this, and driving a car like the R is a bit more of a novelty than the usual diesel Insignias, so ragged them.

Couple of things.......

I doubt there would be many opportunities to rag it during a Wednesday morning rush hour from Crewe to Edinburgh ( trip meter also showed 32 mpg for the trip)

It is a lease car

The only person to have driven it easier than the delivery lady in my opinion is miss Daisy's chauffeur

Soldato
I'm so glad that "mainstream" manufacturers are starting to put out practical, performance vehicles like the Japanese did in the mid 90s.

From your write-up and photos, this looks like it might be considered as contender as a replacement to my 18 year old Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 in a few years once the second hand prices drop a bit.

Soldato
OP
Although no one buys this car for fuel economy there are times when you are forced to drive eco slowly and that time was this morning.
On my trip to work I put the car in Eco mode too see what mpg I could achieve. The outcome was 40mpg (through morning town traffic, cold start with the engine on about 200 miles).

VW quote 40.4mpg on the Combined Cycle so it's in line with their data.

22531388639_7037ee8a73_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom