My Golf R Estate has arrived

Soldato
Although no one buys this car for fuel economy there are times when you are forced to drive eco slowly and that time was this morning.
On my trip to work I put the car in Eco mode too see what mpg I could achieve. The outcome was 40mpg (through morning town traffic, cold start with the engine on about 200 miles).

VW quote 40.4mpg on the Combined Cycle so it's in line with their data.

22531388639_7037ee8a73_o.jpg

Impressive for such a short distance!

Man of Honour
I sense the 1 Series saga all over again - nobody else could ever get close to your claimed figures on that, either. How did you manage to cover 15 miles in just 28 minutes through morning town traffic? I suspect claiming it's 'morning town traffic' which for most people is stop start paints an unfair picture of just how easy the drive was...

Soldato
I wouldn't trust the trip computer's readings, TBH.

My Passat, which runs a much older trip computer, works out MPG for a trip as an average of the snapshot MPG readings over time. Which is mathematically incorrect, of course.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;28797658 said:
I sense the 1 Series saga all over again - nobody else could ever get close to your claimed figures on that, either. How did you manage to cover 15 miles in just 28 minutes through morning town traffic? I suspect claiming it's 'morning town traffic' which for most people is stop start paints an unfair picture of just how easy the drive was...
I'm just reporting what the car did. The traffic wasn't that heavy but it was through Henley In Arden and Warwick, which are towns, in the morning ;).

Sure on board computers aren't 100% accurate but my guess it's within 1-3% +/-. My current cumulative average is about 24mpg.

Last edited:
Soldato
15 miles in 28 isn't in traffic, what I would consider morning traffic would see you needing 28 minutes to do 5 miles.

An average speed of 30mph is not stop start driving, that's driving down busy but free flowing 40 roads with a few traffic lights and roundabouts scattered along the journey :p

Edit - just looked up Henley in Arden on the map, no wonder, that's barely a village lol it only has 2 big roads, and for you to go through it, means the rest of your journey is on open roads. A monkey could get 40mpg out of a Ferrari doing a drive like that :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Eco mode on this takes some getting used to. It goes into a coast mode which it means it gathers speed very quickly when going downhill.

Man of Honour
I'm just reporting what the car did. The traffic wasn't that heavy but it was through Henley In Arden and Warwick, which are towns, in the morning ;).

Sure on board computers aren't 100% accurate but my guess it's within 1-3% +/-. My current cumulative average is about 24mpg.

You must have spent quite a deal of time either at speeds over 50mph or a very, very long time at a constant 40-45 in order to average 34 over that journey. 40mpg is an impressive figure but it's far more expected on that sort of taking it easy waft than it is fighting through actual traffic where such a figure would be astonishing.

It is, after all, a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine - it's not going to 20mph under light throttle is it :D

Soldato
Got to agree that a 34 mph average is a LONG way from a morning "town traffic" commute. 40 mpg average is decent none the less, but I suspect your longer term average of 24 mpg would be more indicative of a proper commuting average.

Man of Honour
34mph average is firmly in the 'extra urban' category. 40mpg not impressive for a gently driven 2litre, sorry.

'I considered the F Pace but the Golf is so amazing I picked it instead' = 'I did not consider the F Pace as it didn't even exist when I ordered my Golf

'I just got 40mpg through town traffic after a cold start' = 'I just got 40mpg taking it easy without much traffic'

Tune in next week for 'My Golf R out-accelerated a LaFerrari at the weekend' which later turns into 'I left the carpark before he did because my rear tailgate was more convenient'

Soldato
OP
You guys are tough. What are you going to do when the engine loosens up and I get 47+ on a longer run with no stops :p

34mph average is firmly in the 'extra urban' category. 40mpg not impressive for a gently driven 2litre, sorry.
Really, show me another 300bhp 4WD petrol car which does better mpg?

Man of Honour
Really, show me another 300bhp 4WD petrol car which does better mpg?

I'd imagine the A45 AMG is similar. But as you know it's a ridiculous question because the Golf is one of a very small number of cars like it. Most cars operating at this power level chose larger displacement engines rather than smaller, more strained and less refined 4 cylinder engines - even BMW top out at about 265ishbhp (depending on what you read) for the 4 pots and move to 6 cylinders for bigger power.

That said a 335i Touring can touch 40mpg under certain circumstances. so lets go with that, tho I've no idea whether the xDrive will. Which leads us to the other thing - the Golf isn't really a '4wd car' in the conventional sense, is it? It's mostly (Entirely?) FWD whilst it's doing 40mpg. Driving it in a manner that allows the 4Motion to kick in certainly won't get anywhere near 40mpg. Other similar cars employ arguably superior fulltime 4wd systems but with the expected fuel economy penalty.

If we did find another one you'd just say 'Find me another 300bhp 4wd petrol estate car!13333' and ad finitum until the WonderGolf was sitting in a class of its own :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;28797864 said:
'I considered the F Pace but the Golf is so amazing I picked it instead' = 'I did not consider the F Pace as it didn't even exist when I ordered my Golf
You read my first post right? I did say it was unavailable until 2016.
Just like you considered a petrol 530i but none were available.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You read my first post right? I did say it was unavailable until 2016.

The whole point of that list was to make people think 'Wow, look at the amazing cars he considered and dismissed in favour of the Golf'. You just slipped up by forgetting there was no such thing as an F Pace when the order for the Golf was placed, admit it :p

Soldato
OP
I also was also considering a Porsche Macan but the wait was over 8 months.

The Golf came at just the right time but I recognise for money there are better cars.

Back
Top Bottom