My Golf R Estate has arrived

Soldato
OP
Sport Chrono is £800 for a stop watch and launch control. That's another option to add which comes as standard on the Golf R.

Timed runs on a standard Estate have shown 0-62 in 4.8 sec can be done.i posted the video in the Motors YouTube thread.

3rd gear on the R comes in at around 55mph.

0-60 Hundredths are probably not noticeable day to day. It's the feel and fun factor where Porsche usually triumph but the extra 400kg weight is challenging that aspect. That's going to take some engineering to mask.

Here is the 4.8 video

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's almost as if the Macan is a different type of car entirely. I have no idea you keep bringing it up, it's £20,000 more expensive and is an SUV.

Hardly surprising that it's not as quick as a Golf Estate with 300bhp

In other news, a Mercedes S500 isn't as quick as a Golf Estate with 300bhp either.

Soldato
OP
Estates and SUV's are pretty similar, the only difference being a few cm's ground clearance.

Last time I looked there was significant differences between a saloon and estate.

Man of Honour
Estates and SUV's are pretty similar, the only difference being a few cm's ground clearance.

You heard it here first - the 'only difference' between an estate car and an SUV is 'a few cm's ground clearance'.

Last time I looked there was significant differences between a saloon and estate.

Generally in a model range an Estate is fundamentally exactly the same car as a Saloon, where both are offered, with a different body at the rear. A Saloon and and Estate are far more similar than an SUV and an Estate.

Soldato
OP
Someone looking at an estate wants more boot space, a wide and high loading area and easy drop seats. None of which a Saloon offers but everything a SUV has.

Get out of your bubble.

Man of Honour
Someone looking at an estate wants more boot space, a wide loading area, high loading area and easy drop seats. None of which a Saloon offers but everything a SUV has.

When was the last time you drove an SUV? They typically offer considerably less luggage space than an Estate (In the case of the Macan almost 20% less space). I had a 3 Series sized saloon car on my last holiday - it swallowed the luggage easily. We exchanged it later due to a fault and were given a much larger SUV... I was amazed when the luggage barely squeezed in.

I bet you considered the Macan no more than you did the F-Pace (ie not at all), I've no idea why you keep throwing in all these exotic cars you'd have bought if only they were as good as the fabled Golf R.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were about to tell us how how you were this close to ordering a Ferrari FF before realising they didn't have the right colour :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's more likely someone considering an estate car is also going to consider an SUV, than a saloon.

'In other news' people like to transport other items which are not cases. Like bikes, rubbish, tents, buggies, dogs etc etc

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's more likely someone considering an estate car is also going to consider an SUV, than a saloon.

'In other news' people like to transport other items which are not cases. Like bikes, rubbish, tents etc etc

I only said S500 as a facetious attempt to highlight the increasing random exoticness of apparent cars you 'almost' bought when in reality you were ordering a Golf all along (Because the Golf is a great car at a great price, it doesn't need to be validated by saying you nearly ordered a Porsche).

Remember, you posted a thread when you ordered the Golf where you told us:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18668144

My focus was on the BMW 3 & 5 Touring range but the cost with options was too much.

There. Now we can drop the 'Yea I almost ordered an F-Pace' stuff and get back to focusing on the Golf, in isolation. Because the Golf stands up to scrutiny on its own becuase its a great car at a great price. It doesn't need all this rubbish comparison to far more expensive and better cars to justify its purchase. The Golf is great and nothing touches it for the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest I was a little shocked at the comparison in the opening post. The golf is a great car. However, being compared to some of vehicles in the first post is crazy. We have a golf in the family, a GTD. The centre console is the same as the R and it feels cheap when compared to higher end stuff. I love golfs, Previously I have had a GTI and a GTD. I'm considering the GTE for our next car.

I love our Superb Estate DSG. For the price bracket it's brilliant. I still would love an RS6 - I just can't afford it ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Get out of your bubble.

You're the one in the bubble dude... you've obviously not been exposed to the general SUV-buying type of person.

SUVs are more about the people than what they can carry.

Estates give you room to move stoof around.

I have a feeling you might be confusing proper 4x4s and SUVs, which despite their vague similarity in general appearance - are for completely and utterly different types of people ;)

To add insult to injury, I think the SUV is the single most stupid vehicular invention that has gained popularity... I'd rather have a reliant robin :eek:

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28802942 said:
When was the last time you drove an SUV? They typically offer considerably less luggage space than an Estate (In the case of the Macan almost 20% less space). I had a 3 Series sized saloon car on my last holiday - it swallowed the luggage easily. We exchanged it later due to a fault and were given a much larger SUV... I was amazed when the luggage barely squeezed in.

I've never felt 'robbed' of space when jumping from SUV's to Estates in my experience.., so I thought I'd check..

Estates give you room to move stoof around.

Vehicle - Boot Capacity Seats Up / Seats Down

3 Series Touring - 495 / 1500
5 Series Touring - 560 / 1670
Freelander - 755 / 1670
CX-5 - 503 / 1620
RAV4 - 647 / 1846

To add insult to injury, I think the SUV is the single most stupid vehicular invention that has gained popularity... I'd rather have a reliant robin
A bit irrational, why is it stupid? I've really loved the CX-5, nice to drive, easy to get in/out, loads of room for the junk, why would an 'estate' be miles better?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well done, you took my comment out of context, mis-interpreted the thing you quoted last and actually helped make my point... how odd

I totally get your point/opinion that SUV/Estate owners are very different people (i.e. stereotyping)..

The first part of my post was really in reply to Fox's post saying that SUV's are 'smaller' than estates, which I didn't think was technically correct, and it would seem certainly in terms of 'litreage not accurate...

I then read your post and only quoted the estate line to reinforce that I acknowledge estate owners do indeed want 'boot space' since I was only making the point that technically there is no real difference, perhaps that was incorrect of me.

But your last part is just plainly irrational. You think people who buy SUV's don't want the space? Do you really cling to some ancient stereotype of the chelsea tractor or something?

I test drove a number of estates, and 'SUVs' (well I class them as Cross overs), primarily as I wanted extra 'boot space' for taking family stuff around, trips to the DIY store, something lots of friends have estates for. However, like lots of people I know, I ended up with an SUV because on top of the extra boot space, it also was easier to get in/out of and generally was more relaxing to drive. Over the last two years, a number of friends and colleagues have replaced their Estates with SUVs, all citing that they have similar room as one of the qualities.

SO I think the old days of people thinking SUV meant fake lifestyle statement are well and truly over.. I believe Cross Overs and SUVs are making a strong resurgence simply as they now do offer what they seem to promise on the outside, as much space as an estate, ease of ingress/egress etc.. Previously it felt like MPVs had such a stigma that people ended up in Estates because they didn't want to be seen in a box on wheels, no matter how practical.. But now they have an alternative, something with space that doesn't look like a box, and they are selling in spades.

Perhaps I'm still missing your point, this is a forum after all, you just seem to have this strong hate of SUVs which I don't get, maybe you might want to explain why you hate SUVs, you never actually said why.

Man of Honour
I don't hate SUV's at all, I quite like them, but a lot of the boot space in the figures is by virtue of the fact they are taller. I was just incredible surprised to find I could barely get the load bay cover over our luggage in the Cadillac SRX when it had easily fitted in the saloon boot of the Infiniti Q50, itself not a large car.

Obviously if you ignore things like the loadbay cover and pile the boot to the roof then there is more available space but this is less secure, hampers visibility, etc.

Therefore an estate car, with its longer loadbay, allows you to securely stow more luggage than a typical SUV with it's shorter loadbay.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28809507 said:
I don't hate SUV's at all, I quite like them, but a lot of the boot space in the figures is by virtue of the fact they are taller. I was just incredible surprised to find I could barely get the load bay cover over our luggage in the Cadillac SRX when it had easily fitted in the saloon boot of the Infiniti Q50, itself not a large car.

Obviously if you ignore things like the loadbay cover and pile the boot to the roof then there is more available space but this is less secure, hampers visibility, etc.

Therefore an estate car, with its longer loadbay, allows you to securely stow more luggage than a typical SUV with it's shorter loadbay.

I agree, the load volume has generally been of a different aspect, although I think even that is changing a little. Previously my experience of things like a CRV etc where of tiny shallow boots.. but the newer SUVs seem to have massively addressed that, the Rav4/CX-5 as prime examples have much deeper boots then SUVs of 10 years ago..

And I honestly think that's what has happened, the lifestyle / no actual practicality of the old SUV has been addressed, and more people are now buying them based on actual practicality rather than some lifestyle choice, which is probably why they are a fast growing sector.

Soldato
Never been a fan of VW at all, they kind of bore me with their functional feel, hwoever, this is a sweet car with a great engine... looks nice mate and bet goes like stink... Rtec do a remap on these things circa 380bhp and a sub 4s 0-60!!!

Back
Top Bottom