My GPU fans spin to 100% whenever a game is loading

What is the cause of this?

Gigabyte Z370P D3.

Bios is F5, not the latest but still not too bad. Got all the latest chipset drivers installed.

Why is this happening? It isn't the card I know that, because it happened with my GTX 970 and is now happening with my new Vega 64.

This happens multiple times when I am gaming, usually always when I am loading but sometimes when I access the menu or other 'loading' events. It's incredibly annoying and I'm actually worrying it's damaging the fans due to the speed at which it hits 100% for a few seconds, then back to 0% or whatever it was at before.

Anyone experience this or know of a fix?

Soldato
Motherboard doesn't have anything to do with fan speed control of graphics cards.
That's controlled by graphics card/its drivers.
So forget messing with motherboard and install latest graphics card drivers.

Also those game loading screens might be causing insanely high fps and full GPU load.
So try capping frame rate in drivers.

Soldato
Are you using the same monitoring software for temps/fan curve for the Vega 64 as you did for the 970 (e.g. Afterburner)?

Soldato
It's common with a lot of graphics cards. When they are rendering fixed screens (ie loading, menu, etc) then can be rendering hundreds of frames per second, and the load makes the fans spin up. Limit frames in the driver, turn on vsync/enhanced sync, or Chill in the AMD drivers, and that should sort it.

Associate
OP
It's common with a lot of graphics cards. When they are rendering fixed screens (ie loading, menu, etc) then can be rendering hundreds of frames per second, and the load makes the fans spin up. Limit frames in the driver, turn on vsync/enhanced sync, or Chill in the AMD drivers, and that should sort it.

The thing is, the issue never happened with my GTX 970 using my old mobo, it was only when I installed the new mobo with my new CPU (i5 3570 > i5 8600k) that issues began. Before that my GTX 970 was certainly capable of creating hunderds of frames in the load screen, unless my CPU was heavily bottling it? I wouldn't have thought so, though, for simple load screens.

Regardless, Rivatuner has frames capped at 60fps and the issue still happens.

Soldato
The thing is, the issue never happened with my GTX 970 using my old mobo, it was only when I installed the new mobo with my new CPU (i5 3570 > i5 8600k) that issues began. Before that my GTX 970 was certainly capable of creating hunderds of frames in the load screen, unless my CPU was heavily bottling it? I wouldn't have thought so, though, for simple load screens.

Regardless, Rivatuner has frames capped at 60fps and the issue still happens.

I suggest you try from within the drivers, as third party tools can introduce issues. Lots of people have experienced what you have, and the fix is to limit frame rendering. It's easy to enable vsync/enhanced sync to test.

Associate
OP
I suggest you try from within the drivers, as third party tools can introduce issues. Lots of people have experienced what you have, and the fix is to limit frame rendering. It's easy to enable vsync/enhanced sync to test.

Do you mean from within AMD Settings? The same issue occurs.

I really think this is a mobo problem, since it has happened with two GPUs, the first of which had no such issue with my previous mobo.

Associate
I really think this is a mobo problem, since it has happened with two GPUs, the first of which had no such issue with my previous mobo.

It's also only happened since your new CPU and upgrading to DDR4. Likelihood is your gpu was producing a high amount of frames in loading screens but was probably being stopped short of 100% usage by your cpu. Give the above suggestions a try - for a quick and dirty test to see if it is frames you could load up a game you know it happens in and enable vsync. If it stops then you can go look for a better solution than vsync to set an fps ceiling.

Soldato
What is the cause of this?

Gigabyte Z370P D3.

Bios is F5, not the latest but still not too bad. Got all the latest chipset drivers installed.

Why is this happening? It isn't the card I know that, because it happened with my GTX 970 and is now happening with my new Vega 64.

This happens multiple times when I am gaming, usually always when I am loading but sometimes when I access the menu or other 'loading' events. It's incredibly annoying and I'm actually worrying it's damaging the fans due to the speed at which it hits 100% for a few seconds, then back to 0% or whatever it was at before.

Anyone experience this or know of a fix?

Set up Chill in your Raedon settings. It's a game changer

Loads of videos showing how to utilise it.

For BF1 I use it to keep a steady 70FPS in game, but for Football Manager I only need 30fps max. Chill helps you set ranges that keeps your GPU efficient and quiet when it's not in full use ;)

Associate
OP
It's also only happened since your new CPU and upgrading to DDR4. Likelihood is your gpu was producing a high amount of frames in loading screens but was probably being stopped short of 100% usage by your cpu. Give the above suggestions a try - for a quick and dirty test to see if it is frames you could load up a game you know it happens in and enable vsync. If it stops then you can go look for a better solution than vsync to set an fps ceiling.

This does not appear to be the issue. I'm using v-sync on games and still get the fans starting up between loading screens and entering certain menus on games. It's incredibly frustrating because it can't be good for my GPU fans hitting max so quickly like this and so regularly.

I know it's not a frames issue because it happens even when frames are only sub 100, FRAPS and Rivatuner show my fps never going high during loading screens.

I am certain this is a mobo issue but sadly there is no fix nor is it easy to google a solution.

Associate
OP
Why not try the latest motherboard bios then?

Read too many horror stories about bricking PCs when updating BIOS to want to do it unless I really need to.

I have F10 Bios version and my z370p Gigabyte mobo says that supports 9th gen processors, and mine is only i5 8600k... so I don't see how it will fix anything.

I'm at a loss but I feel like it's a fault with my actual mobo and I'll need to replace it...

Soldato
Read too many horror stories about bricking PCs when updating BIOS to want to do it unless I really need to.

I have F10 Bios version and my z370p Gigabyte mobo says that supports 9th gen processors, and mine is only i5 8600k... so I don't see how it will fix anything.

I'm at a loss but I feel like it's a fault with my actual mobo and I'll need to replace it...

I thought that was back in the 90s when it was a manual process.
These days it's almost fully automated, can even be done from within Windows and that is without the added protection offered by dual bios boards etc.

Associate
OP
I thought that was back in the 90s when it was a manual process.
These days it's almost fully automated, can even be done from within Windows and that is without the added protection offered by dual bios boards etc.

Gigabyte only offer the awful 'Appcentre' to update BIOS from within Windows and I have had nothing but bugs with this software, so I do not use it.

I tried enabling v-sync, disabled that then enabled enhanced v-sync and the problem persists. I really do not think it is an fps issue. I'm out of ideas honestly and feel sure it's a faulty mobo.

Soldato
I am sure the flashing procedure within the bios itself will be straight forward enough though.
Don't know the specifics of your board but flashing a bios has stopped being a PITA job for me a long time ago.

Soldato
Gigabyte only offer the awful 'Appcentre' to update BIOS from within Windows and I have had nothing but bugs with this software, so I do not use it.

There's nearly always a way of sticking a BIOS on a USB stick and updating from inside the BIOS. This takes Windows out of the equation if you don't trust updating from inside the OS. If you don't want to use @BIOS in Windows, you can use Q-Flash. Information is at the beginning of the Unique Features Manual.

They are up to BIOS F13 now, so you are quite a few revisions behind and it would certainly be worth updating if you think it's a motherboard issue.

Soldato

I tried enabling v-sync, disabled that then enabled enhanced v-sync and the problem persists. I really do not think it is an fps issue. I'm out of ideas honestly and feel sure it's a faulty mobo.

That is incorrect. You can download a BIOS file from the gigabyte website and copy it to a USB stick, (you might need to unzip it before hand) which must be formatted to FAT32 rather than NTFS.

You can then reflash the BIOS directly from the USB stick.

It's actually a safer way of doing it rather than using a Windows based utility from the hardware vendor.

https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

Look at the PDF document under Qflash UEFI

Last edited:
Soldato
Although I'm not convinced it's a mother board/BIOS issue.

Static loading screens and menu screens will happily run at several hundred, even over a thousand frames per second depending on how well the particular game is optimised. This causes fan noise and coil whine (quiet but high pitched noise/squeal) .

As I only have a 60hz 1080p screen I've capped FPS to 100 in the driver.

Associate
OP
Still not found a solution to this, I am starting to think I have a faulty mobo.

I am playing Yakuza and every single time it transitions between locations or I hit pause the fan just hits 100% for a couple seconds then immediately stops when the game resumes.

I have tried Chill, I use Rivatuner but it makes no difference. It says 144fps capped, but it is behaving otherwise. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom