My hair transplant journey

Caporegime
AFAIK they're supposed to last like 6 months.

All these options have a cost associated with them: regain you have to buy and use regularly, finasteride is only available on a private prescription. The other poster highlgihted that wigs aren't a replacement for real hair... if he meant in the sense that there are compromises then that applies to other solutions too - hair transplants won't be as thick (that isn't to say they can't provide sufficient coverage of baldness), regain might not be completely effective ditto to finasteride (might also have side effects - note the OP mentions he tried this but then stopped because of side effects).

Some people fly to Turkey and get the operation done at a lower cost (as per OP), there are different procedures (FUE vs FUT) and you might well require multiple procedures depending on how much coverage and thickness you want... in the UK if you want it done comprehensively at some of the top places then it can run into tens of thousands of pounds (as per Rooney).

In some cases it might not work out - some methods that work for some people won't work for others - OP mentions trying other (medical) solutions, those might be things others swear by. Likewise some people probably love their hair transplant, others might have one that didn't work out.

So tell me how they last 6 months when there is real hair growing underneath?

It's 2-3 weeks max. Think how often you shave your beard that hair growth is happening underneath.

Caporegime
So tell me how they last 6 months when there is real hair growing underneath?

It's 2-3 weeks max. Think how often you shave your beard that hair growth is happening underneath.

The website says: https://www.menshairpieces.co.uk/faqs#c2

How long will your Hair Systems last?
Your hair system can last for a considerable amount of time and is really dependant on a number of factors such as your lifestyle, how well you look after it to the products you use. We will provide you with all the care and maintenance instructions you need to get the most out of your hair system. We only use the best quality hair, hair that is natural in its colour and condition thus we estimate our systems to last at least 1 year. Some get more than a year and some get slightly less.

How often do I have to replace my hair system?
We generally say that you should get a minimum of 6 months out of your hair system and can last anywhere up to 1 year +. It is advisable to replace your hair system at least once or twice a year.

Caporegime
Nah it just means you'd need to shave that part of your head again, the hair piece itself doesn't suddenly become useless.

You'd also need to cut the back and the sides or go to the barbers as you'd do with a full head of hair.

Some people with a full head of hair go to the barbers every 2-3 weeks... someone with a hair piece can do the same... albeit perhaps discretely at the barbers that fitted the thing - (assuming that most people probably wouldn't want to be sat in a chair at a regular barbers on the high street in full view of the window etc...)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nah it just means you'd need to shave that part of your head again, the hair piece itself doesn't suddenly become useless.

You'd also need to cut the back and the sides or go to the barbers as you'd do with a full head of hair.

Some people with a full head of hair go to the barbers every 2-3 weeks... someone with a hair piece can do the same... albeit perhaps discretely at the barbers that fitted the thing - (assuming that most people probably wouldn't want to be sat in a chair at a regular barbers on the high street in full view of the window etc...)

They must have fixed the bonding issue then.

I've seen that system before but it required you to go back every 3 weeks and get it done again because your natural hair messed up the bond where the wig couldn't be used again as it had glue and hair stuck to it.

I suppose that the removal, reapplication and haircuts at these places ain't cheap either even if you don't need a new wig.

I wonder if you could get a donor for a hair transplant. Like pay 4 different people from a poor country £500 each so £2k and you take their hair from the back of their head and get it transplanted. So now you have a full Barnet and they have a years wages each.

Soldato
Lol can’t remember how it works exactly , but donor hair wouldn’t be a limiting factor anymore

just certain follicle cell(s) would be used to create a hair “farm”, then I guess it would be transplanted back

Caporegime
They must have fixed the bonding issue then.

I've seen that system before but it required you to go back every 3 weeks and get it done again because your natural hair messed up the bond where the wig couldn't be used again as it had glue and hair stuck to it.

I suppose that the removal, reapplication and haircuts at these places ain't cheap either even if you don't need a new wig.

I wonder if you could get a donor for a hair transplant. Like pay 4 different people from a poor country £500 each so £2k and you take their hair from the back of their head and get it transplanted. So now you have a full Barnet and they have a years wages each.
For me there is still no comparison... having a good head of natural hair growing from your head will beat a wig every single time. One is an artificial wig that comes off and one is growing from your head and looks like it did 10 years ago.

For many people the issue stopping them doing transplants would be the cost and I understand that, but if cost is not a factor then it's going to be £10k well spent.

Caporegime
For me there is still no comparison... having a good head of natural hair growing from your head will beat a wig every single time. One is an artificial wig that comes off and one is growing from your head and looks like it did 10 years ago.

For many people the issue stopping them doing transplants would be the cost and I understand that, but if cost is not a factor then it's going to be £10k well spent.

The decent ones cost £30k and the top guys are in Vancouver, Canada. Conte had his third one done there after the first two failed.

Caporegime
The decent ones cost £30k and the top guys are in Vancouver, Canada. Conte had his third one done there after the first two failed.
That is not true that 'a decent one costs 30k', you are generalizing and quoting absolute top-end prices.

I live close to a well regarded clinic and the prices are:

--------------------
1 Graft = 1 - 4 Hair
Small
5’600.00 EUR / 1000-1500 Grafts
Regular 6’800.00 EUR / 1500-2000 Grafts
Regular Plus 8’000.00 EUR / 2000-2500 Grafts
Mega 9’800.00 EUR / 3000-3500 Grafts
Giga 13’900.00 EUR / 4000-4500 Grafts (2 days)
--------------------

Caporegime

Haha :D

The other poster perhaps does have a point - perhaps in future there will be some way of growing your own hair in a lab and implanting that.... currently the more expensive option (FUE) still involves little round dots essentially being left in the back of your head etc.. (sometimes done with the aid of a robot) and if you require multiple procedures then... They can certainly cover your head/cover baldness but it's not like the thickness of a normal full head of hair.

Few years back it used to be "hair plugs", things have progressed since then. Perhaps one day if it can be lab grown then maybe some robot assisted implants of hair could actually be done to restore things to something closer to regular thickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I know, good grief are we really arguing about hair-transplant clinics now? Pack it in, enough of the petty bickering.
What are you talking about? No-one is engaging in 'petty bickering over clinics', we are just discussing them back and forth in a civil fashion and that includes pricing. :confused:

Associate
Oh man, the amount of Google warriors in this thread spouting the first thing that pops up in their search results :D I have a PhD in hair follicle biology so can spot the classic googling's a mile off.

Looking forward to seeing the OP's results. Generally the later in life you leave it to get a transplant the more stable it will be and shouldn't change too much over the following years, this is as the effects and levels of DHT plateau. DHT is the hormone responsible for balding in men (amongst other things) and is a metabolite of testosterone, with about 10-fold more potency however.

I started going bald at about 18, last year at 28 it was the classic nothing on top, plenty on the sides. Couldn't bring myself to have a hair transplant, I have a decent shaped head, that classic dome, so shaved it all off and got my head tattoo'd instead! Look way better than when I even had full head of hair.

Cost more than the OP's hair transplant though! But it was the best option for me, IMO.

I haz 4090!
Don
What are you talking about? No-one is engaging in 'petty bickering over clinics', we are just discussing them back and forth in a civil fashion and that includes pricing. :confused:

Any thread that turns into people frantically googling for info all over the place, especially when it involves Sonny will turn into endless pages of drivel. It's calling nipping it in the bud - it's already firmly heading in that direction. This thread is for the OPs transplant journey, not where Conte goes in Canada for his transplants.

Caporegime
Any thread that turns into people frantically googling for info all over the place, especially when it involves Sonny will turn into endless pages of drivel. It's calling nipping it in the bud - it's already firmly heading in that direction. This thread is for the OPs transplant journey, not where Conte goes in Canada for his transplants.
Ahh, maybe you have more experience with Sonny than I do. :D

Back
Top Bottom