My hair transplant journey

Caporegime
Oh man, the amount of Google warriors in this thread spouting the first thing that pops up in their search results :D I have a PhD in hair follicle biology so can spot the classic googling's a mile off.

Well if the links are prefaced with a statement saying "For example from a quick google search:" then you don't really need a PhD to spot it! :)

If there is stuff that's incorrect though then it would perhaps be useful to add any corrections or clarifications. I'm sure most people reading the thread are curious about the OPs results and/or indeed how these things turn out. For me personally I'm happy with it shaved at the moment and I'd be a bit wary about the current options available for transplants. I guess things have progressed from "hair plugs" and a large strip cut in the back of the head through to the FUE and FUT type transplants clinics are offering today.

Am not sure about a tattoo - I guess that could work, make it look deliberately shaved though it's still shaved regardless I guess. I wonder if people ever combine that with hair transplants...

I'd be curious about what future possible treatments are likely, where you'd see these hair transplants going? Things like lab grown hair etc...?

Also supposing you were going to get a transplant done - would you go to Turkey (as OP is doing) or similar (Thailand, India etc..) or would you pay the extra to get it done somewhere in the UK?

Associate
@Spuddy got your head tattoo’d? I take it you’re referring to micro pigmentation And not a prison inmate style tattoo :p

Haha yeah thats right. Baldness didn't bother me, I wasn't self conscious about it anymore I'd gotten way over that in my early 20's but just fancied a change of appearance. Plus if it went wrong it's pretty easy to laser off.

I would upload a pic for anyone considering getting it done but don't want to derail the OP's thread.

But for anyone wondering, yeah it hurts like hell. Mine was about ~20 hours spread over 3 sessions and each time my head swelled up like a beach ball.

Well if the links are prefaced with a statement saying "For example from a quick google search:" then you don't really need a PhD to spot it! :)

If there is stuff that's incorrect though then it would perhaps be useful to add any corrections or clarifications. I'm sure most people reading the thread are curious about the OPs results and/or indeed how these things turn out. For me personally I'm happy with it shaved at the moment and I'd be a bit wary about the current options available for transplants. I guess things have progressed from "hair plugs" and a large strip cut in the back of the head through to the FUE and FUT type transplants clinics are offering today.

Am not sure about a tattoo - I guess that could work, make it look deliberately shaved though it's still shaved regardless I guess. I wonder if people ever combine that with hair transplants...

I'd be curious about what future possible treatments are likely, where you'd see these hair transplants going? Things like lab grown hair etc...?

Also supposing you were going to get a transplant done - would you go to Turkey (as OP is doing) or similar (Thailand, India etc..) or would you pay the extra to get it done somewhere in the UK?

Haha true, there are a few too many to go back through but I'll try and keep an eye on this thread and add any needed corrections if needed on future posts.

Yeah thats right, I still shave my head every 2-3 days with a Pitbull shaver. Takes all of 45 seconds and its done. I love the feeling of a shaved head regardless so looking like it's still got hair there is a bonus. People do combine it with hair transplants for sure, especially on the crown as thats notoriously the most difficult place for hair transplants to take and also requires the most hair grafts to cover due to shape and location.

Lab grown hair isn't too far out of the realm of reality, I know of 2 labs currently working on such a treatment, one in the EU and one in Asia using different techniques. You're looking at about 10 years after its initially released to market before prices for the average person will be feasible though as production costs are insanely high right now. Big problem with this approach is pigmenting the hair as that means introducing melanocytes into the mix, otherwise hair remains white. Problem with melanocytes is they have a tendency to go rogue and the risk of developing a melanoma is increased significantly.

For anyone looking towards future hair loss treatments, cell based therapies will be your holy grail. Multiple companies are using this approach, one of which is in the UK right now but their technique is a bit... meh. Stem cells taken from your existing hair follicles via punch biopsy, expanded in vitro and transplanted (injected) back into your scalp are showing promising early results but optimisations still need to be made. These stem cells of multiple origins migrate to your old and now miniaturised hair follicles (bald people still have hair but the hair shaft itself is so small its barely perceivable to the naked eye, although some follicles are completely lost), these miniaturised follicles are then reprogrammed into fully functioning organs and in special niches of scalp brand new hair follicles are also created. Of course the problem with this technique is making sure the cells don't change TOO much whilst being expanded in the lab before injection and potentially become tumourigenic, although current data points towards this not likely happening, whats more likely to happen is they change so much they become utterly useless to anyone or any function in the body.

If I was the OP I wouldn't mind too much about where I got the transplant done, reviews are king and techniques among different countries remain largely identical, so long as you check their background and see real world results and not just images on their website or facebook page. One thing I wouldn't do however is let them upsell me PRP, thats one of the bigger cons in hair loss treatments and often regarded as a bit of a snake oil.

Soldato
Interesting information spud, found similar in a couple of articles.

Apparently a couple of companies are carrying out clinical trials of drugs that will revive those hair follicles no longer growing hair?

personally sounds a good way of doing it , I never knew the science behind it. Fascinating stuff

V F

V F

Soldato
Nah it just means you'd need to shave that part of your head again, the hair piece itself doesn't suddenly become useless.

You'd also need to cut the back and the sides or go to the barbers as you'd do with a full head of hair.

Some people with a full head of hair go to the barbers every 2-3 weeks... someone with a hair piece can do the same... albeit perhaps discretely at the barbers that fitted the thing - (assuming that most people probably wouldn't want to be sat in a chair at a regular barbers on the high street in full view of the window etc...)

Some people get a haircut every 2 - 3 weeks? What the hell? Are they on miracle grow or something...

Caporegime
@Spuddy thanks that's a really interesting post :)

[...]
For anyone looking towards future hair loss treatments, cell based therapies will be your holy grail. Multiple companies are using this approach, one of which is in the UK right now but their technique is a bit... meh. Stem cells taken from your existing hair follicles via punch biopsy, expanded in vitro and transplanted (injected) back into your scalp are showing promising early results but optimisations still need to be made. These stem cells of multiple origins migrate to your old and now miniaturised hair follicles (bald people still have hair but the hair shaft itself is so small its barely perceivable to the naked eye, although some follicles are completely lost), these miniaturised follicles are then reprogrammed into fully functioning organs and in special niches of scalp brand new hair follicles are also created. Of course the problem with this technique is making sure the cells don't change TOO much whilst being expanded in the lab before injection and potentially become tumourigenic, although current data points towards this not likely happening, whats more likely to happen is they change so much they become utterly useless to anyone or any function in the body.
[...]

Some people get a haircut every 2 - 3 weeks? What the hell? Are they on miracle grow or something...

Just vain I guess...

Associate
I started going bald at about 18, last year at 28 it was the classic nothing on top, plenty on the sides. Couldn't bring myself to have a hair transplant, I have a decent shaped head, that classic dome, so shaved it all off and got my head tattoo'd instead! Look way better than when I even had full head of hair.

Cost more than the OP's hair transplant though! But it was the best option for me, IMO.

Basically identical to me. I posted a before/after pic of the top of my head, thought it was in this thread a while ago but must've been a different one.

Associate
Not had a hair transplant but been using minoxidil for a few months.

Seen some results especially front is not as thin, waiting to see where results peak.

Man of Honour
Yeah thats right, I still shave my head every 2-3 days with a Pitbull shaver. Takes all of 45 seconds and its done.

Slightly off topic but how close a shave do you get with one of those? I like to razor my dome but it also takes me about 20 minutes which I just can't be bothered with at the end of the day a lot of the time.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Best thing that happened to me was losing my hair, It was the type of hair that could not be tamed, unless hair products have improved since 1987 being balled as a coot is great no amount of Gel, mouse, wax from that era could do anything. I was a curly headed mutha ******* (all the dinner ladies loved it though which was a bit werid)

Good luck OP, hope it all went well for you,

Associate
Slightly off topic but how close a shave do you get with one of those? I like to razor my dome but it also takes me about 20 minutes which I just can't be bothered with at the end of the day a lot of the time.

I had one of these a while back, though it was branded as Skull Shaver. It's pretty close, if you've used an electric razor on your face with the triple circular blades, it's exactly the same sensation. Looks completely bald, but will feel slight jags in one direction.

Mine gave up after about a year, they sent a replacement but it felt like an older model. In the end went to wet shaving, but now miss the speed and convenience and thinking of getting one of these again...

Caporegime

How often do people shave?

You need to go every 2 weeks if you have a style which requires maintenance.

Like fades especially. Some people go weekly for a fade.

Just because you have no style doesn't mean others cannot.

Caporegime
I had one of these a while back, though it was branded as Skull Shaver. It's pretty close, if you've used an electric razor on your face with the triple circular blades, it's exactly the same sensation. Looks completely bald, but will feel slight jags in one direction.

Mine gave up after about a year, they sent a replacement but it felt like an older model. In the end went to wet shaving, but now miss the speed and convenience and thinking of getting one of these again...

Nothing beats a Wahl balding clipper. Closest and fastest clippers just use no guard. Not as close as a razor but close enough called balding for a reason.

If you want to shave completely then buy the razor Tyson fury uses. It clips onto two fingers iirc. Maybe a single finger. It's something I thought about buying when he showed it off in a GQ interview

Man of Honour
If you want to shave completely then buy the razor Tyson fury uses. It clips onto two fingers iirc. Maybe a single finger. It's something I thought about buying when he showed it off in a GQ interview

Had one, binned one. No better than a normal disposable and much more expensive obviously.

In terms of the Wahl, I don't really want something I need to get an extension lead out for every time I want to buzz it over my head. It's also a pain getting all the hair using normal clippers.

Caporegime
Had one, binned one. No better than a normal disposable and much more expensive obviously.

I've never used it however I own the Wahl balding it's extremely powerful set of clippers and they get a lot closer than my magic clips. In fact they require less passes and are my go to unless doing fading.

https://www.wahl.co.uk/product/balding-clipper/

Last edited:
Associate

In terms of the Wahl, I don't really want something I need to get an extension lead out for every time I want to buzz it over my head. It's also a pain getting all the hair using normal clippers.

Yeah, wireless is a massive boon and the Pitbull catches all the hairs inside. Convenience > Slightly smoother finish. The rainforest has a few cheap imitations of the Pitbull, like a third of the price, tempted to give one a go.

Caporegime
Yeah, wireless is a massive boon and the Pitbull catches all the hairs inside. Convenience > Slightly smoother finish. The rainforest has a few cheap imitations of the Pitbull, like a third of the price, tempted to give one a go.

If you shave it everyday then Andi's microfoil is what you want.

If you leave it a few days then it's not that good.

Soldato
I used Wahl balding clippers for years and I even adjusted the blades to get them as short as possible but a razor is so much better. The balding clippers are probably equal to 2 days growth with a razor.

I don't know how shaving your head takes 20 minutes though Tom! I use the 4 blade razor from Lidl with replaceable heads and it takes me 2-3 minutes and is baby smooth.

Caporegime
I used Wahl balding clippers for years and I even adjusted the blades to get them as short as possible but a razor is so much better. The balding clippers are probably equal to 2 days growth with a razor.

I don't know how shaving your head takes 20 minutes though Tom! I use the 4 blade razor from Lidl with replaceable heads and it takes me 2-3 minutes and is baby smooth.

A razor will always be skin tight.

However some people prefer the 0.4mm left so they don't look like a complete slaphead.

Man of Honour

I end up leaving it a bit too long between shaves and I've still got quite thick hair around the sides so it's probably more my own fault to be fair :o

Back
Top Bottom