My hair transplant journey

V F

V F

Soldato
How often do people shave?

You need to go every 2 weeks if you have a style which requires maintenance.

Like fades especially. Some people go weekly for a fade.

Just because you have no style doesn't mean others cannot.

How do you know I have no style? Your assumption with people always gets you into trouble.

Permabanned
How often do people shave?

You need to go every 2 weeks if you have a style which requires maintenance.

Like fades especially. Some people go weekly for a fade.

Just because you have no style doesn't mean others cannot.

A short hair cut isn't necessarily more stylish than a longer hair cut. The latter just doesn't require as frequent maintenance.

Just because you've gone bald doesn't mean others haven't. ;)

Deleted member 2277

D

Deleted member 2277

I've been meaning to update the thread with my progress. I was just so relieved to go out there and still get it done despite all what's been happening.
The clinic were amazing, I couldn't fault a single thing and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

I'll post some pictures and more info when I get chance in a couple of days.

I hope it works out for you and you are happy with the results. Some of the comments on here have been quite appalling and should have been moderated. My advice would be not to post any pictures unless you are prepared for the comments....Good and bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I hope it works out for you and you are happy with the results. Some of the comments on here have been quite appalling and should have been moderated. My advice would be be not to post any pictures unless you are prepared for the comments....Good or bad.

Totally agree. Read through the thread and the complete lack of moderation of the comments is stunning. I don't blame the guy for not wanting to bother posting updates, at all.

Transmission breaker
Don
I hope it works out for you and you are happy with the results. Some of the comments on here have been quite appalling and should have been moderated. My advice would be be not to post any pictures unless you are prepared for the comments....Good or bad.

Totally agree. Read through the thread and the complete lack of moderation of the comments is stunning. I don't blame the guy for not wanting to bother posting updates, at all.

We can only moderate what is reported. We do not read all the threads all the time. It's simply not possible.

If you see comments that you feel need moderation, report them, and they will be checked.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Some waterproof clippers would be good, got tired of full shave look which was easy as could just blast it in the shower.

Soldato

OP I'm thinking of getting it done, would be great if we could chat privately? Trust me a message maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Sorry for late responses!

Interesting information spud, found similar in a couple of articles.

Apparently a couple of companies are carrying out clinical trials of drugs that will revive those hair follicles no longer growing hair?

personally sounds a good way of doing it , I never knew the science behind it. Fascinating stuff

Yeah reviving your own follicles, or whats left of them is always going to be the simpler option as opposed to implanting brand new lab grown follicles. Stem cell based treatments will really start to take off in the next 5 or so years with the more relaxed regulations surrounding their research in places such as Japan.

Basically identical to me. I posted a before/after pic of the top of my head, thought it was in this thread a while ago but must've been a different one.

Oh nice, where did you get your SMP done? I got mine done at Skalp (Manchester).

Slightly off topic but how close a shave do you get with one of those? I like to razor my dome but it also takes me about 20 minutes which I just can't be bothered with at the end of the day a lot of the time.

It gets a really nice close shave. Definitely worth a try with one. I only have to shave every couple of days before I notice little hairs poking out my scalp. Would definitely recommend them, keep your eye out for black friday sales.

Caporegime
Interesting information spud, found similar in a couple of articles.

Apparently a couple of companies are carrying out clinical trials of drugs that will revive those hair follicles no longer growing hair?

personally sounds a good way of doing it , I never knew the science behind it. Fascinating stuff

Some of those articles have been bouncing around for years now and not much if anything seems to come of them, wasn't that long ago the word was that once a follicle stops making hair it dies, then that was changed to it's dormant. If they can be somehow revived then that's obviously preferable to surgery, but the hair loss industry has been talking about a "cure" for hair loss in the next 5-10 or so years for decades now, so wouldn't hold my breath.

I've lost track of the amount of articles going back years i've seen about regrowing hair on mice etc and how it could "lead to a hair loss cure". They spring up again every so often regurgitating the same info then go quiet for years.

Soldato
OP
So at long last an update, I'll go into some detail for those that are interested.

Firstly this thread seems to have gone a bit deep in places, I didn't get a transplant because I was unhappy in life or hated my appearance, I just though I'd like some more hair and I can afford it so lets go for it.

This was the state of my hair before, obviously I'd combed it up for photos I sent off for the doctor to assess how bad it was.

y4W79tU.jpg
Zj8WJNo.jpg

It wasn't an ideal start as my return flight home got cancelled a couple of weeks before I was due to go so I was a bit stressed. I managed to sort another flight for the following day then messaged the clinic who said no problem and booked me in for another night for £30.

Heading out and my receding hairline doesn't look good. I've clippered my hair before and I just don't suit the bald look, I think I just look poorly.

X3OtXqh.jpg

I arrived Wednesday evening then straight to a hospital for a blood test and then back to the hotel. I had the same driver all the time while I was there who was really professional and always on time.

The following morning I was greeted outside the hospital by my interpreter, a really nice bloke who basically stayed at my side the entire time I was there. I then met Doctor Turan who had my blood results, including covid results and we discussed my family male pattern baldness history and what hairline I was after. As I'm 46 we agreed a teenage hairline wouldn't look right and also they can only harvest a certain number of grafts and the lower they go, the less density I will achieve.

He spent quite awhile drawing my hairline and making slight alterations until he was happy, finally he asked for my thoughts and if I wanted to make any changes. Then they gave me a Xanax table to make the whole procedure that bit less stressful.

ok4bT1P.jpg

After that straight to another room to get my head shaved and prepped for the op.

czkYkmG.jpg

Firstly the needleless anaesthesia which was a bit like someone twatting you on the head with a thick elastic band over and over then the injections and saline injections.

They then used a mini coring tool on just under 1000 grafts from the side of my head, followed by a nurse who extracted them with tweezers and sorted them out into singles, doubles, triples and quad hairs and then finally the Doctor implanted these placing the singles at the front for a more natural hairline.

This took us up to lunch then same again in the afternoon.
This was basically repeated in the afternoon and 2 sessions the following day just extracting from the back and other side of my head, which resulted in 4130 total grafts implanted.

Excuse the dodgy shirt, you can't wear anything that has to go over your head so I nipped to Primark before and got the cheapest throw away shirts I could find.
You can see a bit of swelling but it's not bad at all compared to others.

pYqMDgr.jpg

On an evening I ventured out into Istanbul which was a fascinating place and definitely somewhere I'll be going back as a tourist.

Back to the hospital Saturday to remove the bandages, a very gentle wash and make sure everything looked fine. It was nice staying the extra day, I got to see more of Istanbul and just chill in the room.

Normally what happens after a transplant is the implanted hairs fall out between weeks 2-10 and then start growing back around 3 months. Between months 4-6 you start seeing progress and months 6-9 is the stage where the hair really thickens out and you see the best progress. After this is just a gradual thickening until 12/18 months.

I've had some shedding but certainly haven't lost it all.

You have to sleep sat up for 7 days to avoid swelling and for the best conditions for recovery, for me that was the worst part of the procedure.

This is back home after a few days.

ojAbSqd.jpg

After approx 10 days the clinic requested photos to keep a check of things.

P8BwEuc.jpg

m1EHBwG.jpg

IsHYB5A.jpg

And these were taken in the last few days.

neUKGtj.jpg

Y5gdhfG.jpg

I've never travelled abroad on my own before and it was an amazing experience just going off on my little adventure.
I'm so pleased I chose the Doctor and team that performed the op and have seen since I booked that they have become so popular because of the results the price has gone up from £2000 that I paid in December to £3700 if you book them now.

Transmission breaker
Don
Great write up!
My mate at work had his done earlier in the year at IHS, a local UK based company, and he posted a photo on Facebook the other day, and it looks great!
He is almost at the end of the follow up laser treatment stage at the moment now to stimulate growth. I will ask if he minds me posting his before and after pics.

Soldato
Looks great, thanks for sharing your story

When you went out to Istanbul did you wear a special hat or were you walking around with a swollen head? Also how the heck do you sleep upright!?

Did they give you any special shampoo or meds to take after the procedure? Looking forward to seeing it after 9 months mate

Back
Top Bottom