My kingdom for a desk, that fits. (A "spec me" thread)

So I'm working from home today, and my work environments are somewhat limited. I've got the noisy kitchen with the washing machine going ten to the dozen, the neighbour outside cutting his grass and soon-to-be-home-from-school noisy children. Or I've got the lounge where there's only a small table and the couch, which I've been using but it's slowly killing my back.

Have decided I've had enough, I need a desk again so I'm on the shop. The problem is as we've now turned the upstairs office into a bedroom again (I lost a long battle, stupid women.) I'm very space limited down here in the lounge. I've got a gap to the side of the sofa about a metre wide, ideally the desk would need to be under 80cm wide to clear comfortably.

Style wise, the lounge is quite neutral. Dark leather couches with beige carpet. If it was up to me I'd ditch a couch and get a massive desk again. Her indoors would have other ideas though. I do like this chunky style of desk:

neooakdesk.jpg

Alas finding it in a smaller size is nigh on impossible, but I'm gonna keep looking. So far have tried eBay, Ikea, B&Q, Debenhams but to no avail. Any other suggestions for places to look?

Cheers.

Soldato
I'm doing the whole make-your-own at the moment. Shouldn't be too hard, I made a picnic bench a few months ago. I've got a 1.8M length of beech worktop with a single rounded courner - gonna fix to the wall along 2 sides, and prop up the softened corner with a single thick leg. Shelves over the top, standing on the desk rather than wall-mounted, and drawers later on if I find I need them. Problem solved.

Soldato
OP
I was toying with doing something similar, get an off cut of some good quality work top and two legs then anchor it against the wall. However it's plasterboard walls, so I wouldn't want to put too much weight on it - plus I need space down the side to run the curtain as it's up against the patio door.

Nice idea though, as it's a lot of gain for not a lot of effort.

Soldato
Having been down the route you're on now (the one where you're looking for a desk to suit specific needs) I've found the best way, much as the others above have said, is to build your own or perhaps send a design in to a local company who will build it for you. At least that way you'll get exactly what you want and it's nice sitting down to a desk that you've had a hand in creating.

Soldato
OP
It's certainly looking that way, I'm going to sit down later and have a think about what I need to get. Ideally I'd like some shelf or storage underneath and some on top for CDs etc. as well, so I'll draw something up.

Might end up turning this into a wee project thread. :)

Soldato
I reckon I can get my legs under said de-ble OK, just measuring up now and it should be OK. Unless I get elephantitis of the legs, in which case I'm utterly boned.

Will you have a tower under the desk too or are you using a laptop? You might want a printer there as well. The space under a desk can disappear quite quickly, for that width I really wouldn't want to add in a cupboard or drawers.

Soldato
OP
Just for a laptop, I've got a Logitech DiNovo Edge that I use for the media PC under the telly so I'd like to give that a home under the desk on a shelf.

Something like this:

1926GR-l.jpg

Just looking at storage options, and I've stumbled into the world of bureaus which might just do it...

Back
Top Bottom