My MAF in my hand

Soldato
distant.jpg

close.jpg

I've been doing a bit of experimenting, and my car feels no different, if not faster with the MAF disconnected!!

I can only conclude that the unit is dodgy and so I'm seeing if a quick clean can give it a boost. However, the MAF seems to be attached to this annoying piece of tubing that makes it very difficult to get to.

In another thread "Ron Burgundy" said: "boil some distilled water and place the MAF into it (obviously not the part where the plug sits) and leave it until the water is cool". I don't see how I can only get the MAF to sit in the water?

Anyone have any other ideas/tips etc.?

Soldato
Why would it be faster with it disconnected?

I found with my Fez that it made it run like poo with it disconnected...

I cleaned mine with some brake cleaner - worked a treat. Or if you don't have any use some carb cleaner.

After you've sprayed it wipe the wires down with some cotton buds or just a cloth but gently (obviously).

Associate
Won't the cars computer tell you if something is a-miss? When I press my check button mine says "CHECK CONTROL OK". Or is it something deeper down that requires a computer to be hooked up to get the ECU to spit out the errors?

Permabanned
Hi PMKeates

What you need to remember is that below 1500-2000rpm the signal from the MAF overrides the fuel maps. Disconnecting it as you have done, the fuel maps assume the MAF is working normally and provided100% of the maps available, hence the car feels quicker low down. After this RPM value MAFs do very little and the fuel maps take over.

You need to submerse the unit in water, but keep the electrical plug part clear of the water (obviously). Then let it dry. Do not touch the element.

Hope this helps

Permabanned
Pinter75 said:
Won't the cars computer tell you if something is a-miss? When I press my check button mine says "CHECK CONTROL OK". Or is it something deeper down that requires a computer to be hooked up to get the ECU to spit out the errors?

An out of spec MAF will not log as an ECU error unfortunatley. There is no real way to tell if its defunkt or not

Back
Top Bottom