My McLaren GT - Ownership Thread

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Certainly one of the best colours for a Macca, enjoy it. You gonna bring it to Supercar Fest in May?

I've got tickets for both days as I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. I put an application in for the runway on the Saturday but we'll see.

I'll be back at Salon Prive and Sports Cars In The Park as well because both of those events were superb last year.

Soldato
Congratulations on the car. Really awesome looking machine and I’m sure it’s amazing to drive. Perfect for continental jaunts.

Sorry to hear about your folks though. Life is sadly all too short, but at least you can now enjoy it at ridiculous speed and comfort!

Soldato
Incredible car. Big fan of the GT and Im not a Mclaren guy.

Interesting hearing your thoughts on the DB11. Have you driven the DBS SL? I know its a different price bracket completely.

Soldato
Congratulations, great choice and a bold colour. Hope your ownership experience is a happy one, look forward to reading all about it. Is it from Ascot? I used to walk past regularly and have a nose at their stock, usually the part ex stock they'd get it as there was all sorts of exotica in their compound.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Incredible car. Big fan of the GT and Im not a Mclaren guy.

Interesting hearing your thoughts on the DB11. Have you driven the DBS SL? I know its a different price bracket completely.

I’ve not had the opportunity to try a DBS SL, no. They are mega in the flesh but given they are significantly out of my reach I didn’t even ask. Perhaps one day I might be in a position to seriously consider one.

Congratulations, great choice and a bold colour. Hope your ownership experience is a happy one, look forward to reading all about it. Is it from Ascot? I used to walk past regularly and have a nose at their stock, usually the part ex stock they'd get it as there was all sorts of exotica in their compound.

Not Ascot no, but I was talking to them about the Lantana purple 720S they have in stock at the moment. The thing that swung my decision away from the 720S is that they are so insanely fast I think it would leave me realistically nowhere to go afterwards in terms of performance I could ever hope to afford. Love everything about them though including the eye socket headlights! Running costs are a significant uptick as well, warranty is significantly more and definitely required plus I believe there’s a few uncommon issues which are expensive and not covered by the warranty which was also a bit of a turnoff.

daz

daz

Soldato
Enjoy in good health. McLarens have a great sense of openness and steering feel compared to their peers.

The GT is always a bit of a strange one for me personally though - it's not that much more practical than the other cars in the McLaren range, but it's considerably less practical than something like a 911. Not a car for me but it'll be great for long distance cruising in comfort whilst still being able to enjoy twisty roads when you can. Perhaps surprisingly, 30MPG is easily achievable on a motorway run with these!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
The GT is always a bit of a strange one for me personally though - it's not that much more practical than the other cars in the McLaren range, but it's considerably less practical than something like a 911.

I was quite surprised but you’re in the right ballpark. It’s all in the margins, the frunk lid being slightly higher and flatter adds a decent amount of convenience in terms of geometry if not overall space and the rear area is an odd shape but is pretty big all things considered.
Of course you’re right in that it isn’t quite as practical as a 911 or anywhere near as practical as a DB11 but it is just practical enough which is the right balance of things for me.

I did go and look at 911s btw inc a nice GT3 but they didn’t really grab me at all. I know they are worshipped by some but they leave me kinda cold. Horses for courses :)

Soldato
Not Ascot no, but I was talking to them about the Lantana purple 720S they have in stock at the moment. The thing that swung my decision away from the 720S is that they are so insanely fast I think it would leave me realistically nowhere to go afterwards in terms of performance I could ever hope to afford. Love everything about them though including the eye socket headlights! Running costs are a significant uptick as well, warranty is significantly more and definitely required plus I believe there’s a few uncommon issues which are expensive and not covered by the warranty which was also a bit of a turnoff.
Very true. My uncle owns an 812 Superfast and has said that he's worried next car won't cut the mustard in terms of outright speed.

I haz 4090!
Don
Jeez, nice one! Things have moved on a little from the days where I was "chasing" you in my Supra to the RR day and you were in some battered old Citroen van! Well done man, enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom