My McLaren GT - Ownership Thread

OcUK Staff
Car finally has wheels you can see, bet looks ace in the flesh.

Heading to the DT Performance breakfast meet on Sunday, maybe see you there. :)

Soldato
Looks great DRZ.

Regarding your comments on the pace of the 720S I wholly agree...I had the pleasure of being taking out for a ride at one of yesteryear's OcUK motors meets and frankly I was astonished that anything so fast could wear a numberplate. I drive an F80 M3, a fast car by any sensible measure, but my impression of the 720S was that it was as much faster than my M3, as my M3 is faster than a 1 litre Fiesta! Truly in another realm of fast.

Associate
lGDhYEL.jpg

Super, super happy with how the wheels have turned out. BMW Ferric Grey II remains one of the best wheel colours to my eyes and that is *exactly* what these wheels are painted in. Not a colour match, I gave them the paint code and they ordered the correct BMW paint.

I was a bit nervous as to if the colour would work with the Papaya Spark or not but I needn’t have worried, it works amazingly well and pops even more in the flesh than it does in photos.
wow just stunning

OcUK Staff
It's amazing how much better that looks than the black. Why anyone buys black wheels is utterly beyond me.

Unfortunately they are still the most popular wheel choice on such cars, but I agree that a grey/silver always looks better, it lifts the car not that bright orange ever needs lifting and you can see the wheel design.

It is no different than the latest fad of black exhaust tips, which once your more than a few meters away from the car you cannot even see them any more, exhaust tips are supposed to be chrome.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
I had been without my car for a few days short of three months when I collected it on Wednesday evening and gave the 720S back. Crazy how time flies and I was so excited to have my actual car again. As great as the 720S is, driving someone else's car just isn't the same. That said, I did cover around 1800 miles in it and I drove it as nature intended and I've got some fond memories to look back on :D:D:D

What an awesome few days I have had since getting the car back!

Firstly, a quick stop to get my black seatbelts changed to orange. The interior is very black - black leather, black stitching, carbon fibre etc etc and it needed a lift and something to connect the interior to the exterior. The belts are extremely orange and shiny, so much so that it is hard to get a photo of them where they look like they do to the eye. They are a slightly different orange to the exterior of the car - partially because Papaya Spark can be anything from a darkish orange like McLaren Orange to an almost yellow in blazing sunshine. The other "issue" is that to get quality belts made in a particular colour requires you to buy 1000m of material, which is as expensive as you might imagine. I am happy with the slight compromise and from looking at other McLarens with orage belts they aren't a precise match either :)

Q7AXHW0.jpg

This isn't the best photo ever but you can see the belts against the papaya here better than any other photo I seem to have :)

Secondly, I called in to see The Surman Collection at Bag World. They make bespoke luggage for cars and I've specced up a 5-piece luggage set for my car in carbon fibre with orange contrast stitching and some other little touches. Inexpensive compared to the McLaren offering and actually, given it is bespoke to me and my car I think it is fantastic value for money.

After that I called into C&M for a bite to eat and saw an incredible convoy of cars heading to Supercar Fest the following day. F40LM, Enzo, F430 16M Stradale, 360CS, Carrera GT. Got a nice pic of the GT in the shady bit under the trees.

pdK75Dn.jpg

Finally... Supercar Fest - The Runway. Incredible event, one of the absolute best car days out I have had as it had the sort of Goodwood vibes but even more interactive as owners and the public are all mingling and chatting about their cars. The weather being glorious definitely helped matters as well! I only managed 3 runs up the runway as the queues were pretty lengthy most of the time and by the end of the day when the queues had died down a bit as people started to leave I was knackered, sunburned and facing a 2.5 hour drive home so I decided not to do another. Still, I hit 156mph which is a pretty reasonable speed I think. I was definitely taking too tight a line on the bend which cost me some speed and I think I could have braked a fair bit later and combining the two I think I could have easily cracked 160mph - maybe I'll find out next year.

SL1oHIv.jpg

DpIwKeQ.jpg

zmJOVIc.jpg

W5npAzq.jpg

Hotel Parking Goals:

OMGOndS.jpg

Soldato
Papaya in the sun is epic, so much flake in there. Not sure what the record was that day, the volcano 720 hit 172/173 but nearly went off the end. Sunday looked even busier which is crazy, personally think they need to halve the amount of cars on the runway or at least have an access road back to the pits from the end so they don't have that turnaround in between.

OcUK Staff
Papaya in the sun is epic, so much flake in there. Not sure what the record was that day, the volcano 720 hit 172/173 but nearly went off the end. Sunday looked even busier which is crazy, personally think they need to halve the amount of cars on the runway or at least have an access road back to the pits from the end so they don't have that turnaround in between.

The fastest Veyron managed 179mph. Be interesting to know what the 720S hit which really did leave the braking to the last minute. :D

This year was nowhere near as good as last year for me, managed like 6-8 runs in the morning last year and another 2-3 in afternoon, it was way to busy and they seem somewhat dis-organised at keeping the cars running and wasting time with stuff like go-karts.

Still I managed 100mph before the bend as quite happy to send the 458 into that corner with way too much over speed as I am finding it so easy to control over the limit, best speed before braking was 157mph but I was braking way to early still as I was off the brakes before even reaching the cars at the end. I am not so confident in the brakes though on the car they lack feel and bite which makes me think they are somewhat rubbish but they do seem to scrub the speed very effectively, but they are heavily worn. New steel brake setup arrives tomorrow and I am excited to try it out should vastly improve the feel and potentially stopping performance as I am going to be running Pagid RS19/29 combo.

The flake in all the Mclarens paint work is superb, very glittery and stunning to see.
Great selection of cars and people, but the queuing was worse than Santa Pod which says something. :D

Associate
I had been without my car for a few days short of three months when I collected it on Wednesday evening and gave the 720S back. Crazy how time flies and I was so excited to have my actual car again. As great as the 720S is, driving someone else's car just isn't the same. That said, I did cover around 1800 miles in it and I drove it as nature intended and I've got some fond memories to look back on :D:D:D

What an awesome few days I have had since getting the car back!

Firstly, a quick stop to get my black seatbelts changed to orange. The interior is very black - black leather, black stitching, carbon fibre etc etc and it needed a lift and something to connect the interior to the exterior. The belts are extremely orange and shiny, so much so that it is hard to get a photo of them where they look like they do to the eye. They are a slightly different orange to the exterior of the car - partially because Papaya Spark can be anything from a darkish orange like McLaren Orange to an almost yellow in blazing sunshine. The other "issue" is that to get quality belts made in a particular colour requires you to buy 1000m of material, which is as expensive as you might imagine. I am happy with the slight compromise and from looking at other McLarens with orage belts they aren't a precise match either :)

Q7AXHW0.jpg

This isn't the best photo ever but you can see the belts against the papaya here better than any other photo I seem to have :)

Secondly, I called in to see The Surman Collection at Bag World. They make bespoke luggage for cars and I've specced up a 5-piece luggage set for my car in carbon fibre with orange contrast stitching and some other little touches. Inexpensive compared to the McLaren offering and actually, given it is bespoke to me and my car I think it is fantastic value for money.

After that I called into C&M for a bite to eat and saw an incredible convoy of cars heading to Supercar Fest the following day. F40LM, Enzo, F430 16M Stradale, 360CS, Carrera GT. Got a nice pic of the GT in the shady bit under the trees.

pdK75Dn.jpg

Finally... Supercar Fest - The Runway. Incredible event, one of the absolute best car days out I have had as it had the sort of Goodwood vibes but even more interactive as owners and the public are all mingling and chatting about their cars. The weather being glorious definitely helped matters as well! I only managed 3 runs up the runway as the queues were pretty lengthy most of the time and by the end of the day when the queues had died down a bit as people started to leave I was knackered, sunburned and facing a 2.5 hour drive home so I decided not to do another. Still, I hit 156mph which is a pretty reasonable speed I think. I was definitely taking too tight a line on the bend which cost me some speed and I think I could have braked a fair bit later and combining the two I think I could have easily cracked 160mph - maybe I'll find out next year.

SL1oHIv.jpg

DpIwKeQ.jpg

zmJOVIc.jpg

W5npAzq.jpg

Hotel Parking Goals:

OMGOndS.jpg

The skoda looks amazing loll

Soldato
lGDhYEL.jpg

Super, super happy with how the wheels have turned out. BMW Ferric Grey II remains one of the best wheel colours to my eyes and that is *exactly* what these wheels are painted in. Not a colour match, I gave them the paint code and they ordered the correct BMW paint.

I was a bit nervous as to if the colour would work with the Papaya Spark or not but I needn’t have worried, it works amazingly well and pops even more in the flesh than it does in photos.

Is that Assetti?

Back
Top Bottom