My mother's illness with bad Gallbladder and secondary liver cancer

Soldato
I had not been played PC games like Control etc for about a month now due to my mother illness with bad gallbladder which she suffered for about over a year now. She had first gallstones removed used Endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP) but surgeon said the gallbladder is bad, she will need to get insurance first before to get her gallbladder removed. I was stunned by the news, why did my mother need insurance to removed gallbladder??? There was no explanation why it need insurance to removed gallbladder, my mother were 75 years old weighted under 10 stones in 2018. She had second gallstones removed back in May 2019 and later she had MRI scan and got all cleared of cancers in body.

My mother got back to normal did shopping every few days, went to church every saturdays and had a lie down on bed for rest 3 hours everyday when had wind in the stomach or acid reflux and sometime got sick, she ate 3 meals a day included plenty of fruits, she loved ate Greggs Belgian Bun or Yum Yum 2 times a week and sometime ate Mrs Tilly's Tablet every week, she loved tablet since childhood. But on 27 July 2019 something seemed wrong with my mother back home after shopping, she seemed very tired and went to bed slept all day and missed church on Saturday. Then next day mother said she not felt very well to go shopping at Morrisons, she was in bed all day, I googled gallbladder and gallstones found it can caused to lose lots of weight and tiredness. My mother had been bedridden and very tired all the time whole August, I and my sister did all the shopping for mother, sister bought plenty of fruits as mother not ate normal 3 meals a day in August as she been sick alots, it cut down to 1 meal a day mostly a slice of toast, tea and 2 Weetabix with full fat milk, drank few glasses of Robinsons squashed fruits, it didnt made her sick. My sister took my mum to see GP on 12 August ran tests on mum and asked my mum to gave stool samples, both went back to GP 2 days later on 14 August with stool samples.

Move on to September, my sister called GP to made an appointment to see mother on 3rd September carried out blood, blood pressure, liver tests on mother and said liver test was high and also said she is at risk of diabetes then GP gave mother prescription Omeprazole gastro resistant capsules to help her stop sick and told mother to come back to see GP in 1 MONTH TIME! Not ever a week! But it not worked a day later she still got sick after ate big meal my sister made for mother. She been slept all day, told me she didnt get good sleep. On Wed 11 September, I noticed mother not ate anything, not ever toast, Weetabix, tea or fruits, mother said she not felt hungry, had no pains in stomach, not starved but still very tired. Told me and my sister that she don't want to see GP yet but that seemed not right so I told my sister GP definitely need to have a look at her. Sister called GP on Thursday 12 September then GP advised her to take mother to hospital for checkup. My sister boss at New Lanarkshire College gave her day off to took mother to University Hospital Wishaw. About 8 hours later doctors decided to have mother stayed overnight received fluids and drips, they suspected it could be gallbladder obstruction and booked X-Ray on chest and abdomen. I and my family went to see mother on Saturday 14 September, she looked a lot better and later she had CT scan.

Received a text from my sister told me consultant will meet family on Tuesday 17 September at 1pm to talk about my mother illness. My sister and I were worried there may a bad news, so on that day we went to see mother in Ward 16 then consultant came into room and took us to a room. He told us about mother illness with bad gallbladder, tiredness all the time etc then when he told us the bit of a bad news, mother had endoscope to take a look inside gallbladder but something looked very wrong in gallbladder then moved the camera into bile ducts but it was blocked, they think there may cancer in the bile ducts. Then she had CT scan and they discovered enlarged liver with cysts on liver so they now know why my mother was sick all the time, she has liver disease. Doctors didnt know what caused liver disease, cysts on liver, liver inflammation and cancer in bile ducts, they think it all started in gallbladder. They told us mother had lost 1 year of muscle mass in the space of over a month time. Also she suffered throat ulcer, that can be fix with treatment. I googled throat ulcer found it caused by excessive vomit which my mother were sick just about everyday after ate big meal. They will wait for results hopefully this week or next week then after that, mother will start have treatment on liver to killed off cancer or have surgery to removed cysts and also will give her liquid drink supplements contained 300 calories to help my mother to get strength back and walk around about.

A week passed, still not news about result, went to see my mother on her 76th birthday on 19 September, I brought ASDA Drip Cake, everybody in family, patients and few nurses had slice of it, it tasted wonderfully and everybody went "WOW" then thanked me for the cake. It made me very sad to see my mother said no to the cake, not ate her birthday cake. :( She not ate solid food for almost a month.

My sister and my oldest nephew came to my house last night on 1 October found I wasn't in as I were busy shopping at ASDA and they were waited for me. I came home and sister told me Macmillan nurse came to see her and mother that day to discuss moved my mother to home so she will have 24 hours doctors, nurses and carers but mother said she don't want everybody go in and out of house everyday, other alternative is to move her to small hospital Airbles Road Centre Hospital in Motherwell which is near to New Lanarkshire College and University Hospital Wishaw or move her to St Andrews Hospice in Airdrie where my dad stayed there for 2 weeks and died of Bladder Cancer 5 years ago on 5 December 2014. Macmillan nurse told the result to my sister and my mother that she has secondary liver cancer.

Now I am scared and very confused, what about treatment? Why doctors opinions changed all the time? Gallbladder, Diabetes, Bile Duct Cancer, Liver Disease, Liver Cysts and now Secondary Liver Cancer! My sister and I will meet Macmillan nurse later in morning and see my mother as she was moved to single room in Ward 16 since Sunday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to hear your sad story. I have had my gallbladder removed and still produce stones. All these illnesses are of components of the same subsystem, the gastroenteral system. The liver creates gastric juices which are the basis of bile (to aid food digestion) and dumps some used red blood cells in there (hence poo is brown). If the food is fatty the gallbladder adds concentrated bile to give the digestion an extra helping hand. Sometimes this becomes so concentrated it crystalllises into gallstones which can be ejected into the bile duct and cause serious biliary colic and other complications. The pancreas is at the bottom of the bile duct just before it enters the stomach and adds its own stuff into the bile, more related to sugars than fats and proteins. Most problems in the system (liver, gallbladder, pancreas) are related through liver function tests. Diabetes is a dysfunction of the pancreas in controlling blood sugar, it is signalled by high liver function indicators. The same results can be had by a gallstone blocking the exit from the pancreas into the bile duct (I've had this many times) it's called pancreatitis and the digestive juices stay in the pancreas and cause issues. They thought I was alcoholic before they realised I had gallstones. Liver dysfunction (cirrhosis, cysts... and presumably cancer) also produces similar results in the liver function test. It's quite hard for them to separate these problems some times, and one problem can mask another when they occur simultaneously. It isn't poor medical care, it's just a complex system.

I wish you all the best for your mother and hope you can get through the stress.

Soldato
I thought church was Sunday?

There must be primary cancer if she has secondary liver cancer.

I can only assume they are incompetent, overworked, under staffed, or it's just difficult to diagnose these things.

I'm going to assume it's terminal now, there are a range of treatments such as hormone injections and a variety of other drugs. Chemo will depend on how advanced the cancer has spread. Chemo also rarely works and leaves the patient in quite a state due to the way to drugs act on the cells.

All in all it doesn't look good.

Sorry for your news.

Soldato
OP
I thought church was Sunday?

There must be primary cancer if she has secondary liver cancer.

I can only assume they are incompetent, overworked, under staffed, or it's just difficult to diagnose these things.

I'm going to assume it's terminal now, there are a range of treatments such as hormone injections and a variety of other drugs. Chemo will depend on how advanced the cancer has spread. Chemo also rarely works and leaves the patient in quite a state due to the way to drugs act on the cells.

All in all it doesn't look good.

Sorry for your news.

Yes she has secondary liver cancer, doctors didnt know where the primary cancer are. They checked in bowel, breast, pancreas, stomach, lung and other organs but doctors would not find primary cancer so it called CUP - Cancer of Unknown Primary.

I went to see my mum yesterday after my sister texted me, she is now deteriorated since Friday night. Her doctor said my mum do not have water, food and potassium in her body now and she is in much pain all over her body since doctor gave my mum potassium drugs and powerful painkillers back on Tuesday I noticed my mum has grey glare in her eyes opened all the time, moved her body and arms all the times, slowing breathing.

My sister and I are absolutely devastated and heartbroken going to lose my mum soon. It all happened so fast. :(

Permabanned
Very sorry i heard of Wishaw/Netherton a few times as well, Nice people there hopefully this is something you can get through bud and your sister as well. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom