• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

my new 2070 Super giving same performance as my old rx580?

Associate
Hey there folks so basically received my new GPU today and got it all up and running and used the MSI afterburner OC scanner to get a bit more performance it hits a maximum of 2085mhz and boosts on average to around 2000mhz so the gpu is doing its job the problem i have is when playing Destiny 2 which is my main game when using the same settings as i did with my rx 580 so basically everything on High bar some things on low/medium i am still averaging around 80fps with lows of 55 and highs of 100ish?

im assuming it's software related any help is greatly appreciated shall i try doing a fresh game install or maybe use DDU again and reinstall the drivers?

Also i clocked my 1700 to 3.6ghz and still the same fps don't have my AIO yet so can't go any higher?

Soldato
Try setting power option in nvidia panel to max performance also check for vsync butting in somehow.

Maybe try a reinstall of the game incase its settings are borked.

Also sounds like a similar issue as yours.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTechSupport/comments/a5ejv1/low_fps_on_an_rtx_2070/

Found it i think, its ur bios.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K7-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Latest bios says:
  1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB
  2. Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
  3. Due to AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABB, PCIe Gen4 support has removed when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU
Note: Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as BIOS F40 Note's description in advanced

Also i heard chipset drivers help it too which is latest from last month.

AMD Chipset Driver
(Note) Win10 ver.1903 supported.
(Note) For 3rd AMD Ryzen CPU support.
[19.10.16]
548.85 MB
2019/07/05

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea that bios update is for the 3rd gen ryzen chips that were crashing on D2 I'll give it a try though tomorrow something is definitely not right I know my cpu will be limiting my fps but not by that much surely I'm getting a 4th gen chip next year?

Associate
You need a bigger overclock with a GPU that strong on your 1700.

Run at a lower resolution and if the fps stays the same then it's your CPU.

When you get your new cooler try for 3.9 Ghz or round about.

Hand on heart, my advise is to get a 3600 or better with such a good GPU.:)

Associate
OP
@silk186 I just spent over 500 pounds on a new gpu which is a lot of money for me spent 6 months saving can't afford to go get a 3000 series plus I don't think it would be worth it in Gears 4 benchmark the gpu usage is like 70-75% and cpu only 30%.

Soldato
@silk186 I just spent over 500 pounds on a new gpu which is a lot of money for me spent 6 months saving can't afford to go get a 3000 series plus I don't think it would be worth it in Gears 4 benchmark the gpu usage is like 70-75% and cpu only 30%.
Sadly that means it's the cpu. Download shadow of the tomb raider demo on steam and run that benchmark as well, in dx12.

Associate
Soldato
Hey there folks so basically received my new GPU today and got it all up and running and used the MSI afterburner OC scanner to get a bit more performance it hits a maximum of 2085mhz and boosts on average to around 2000mhz so the gpu is doing its job the problem i have is when playing Destiny 2 which is my main game when using the same settings as i did with my rx 580 so basically everything on High bar some things on low/medium i am still averaging around 80fps with lows of 55 and highs of 100ish?

im assuming it's software related any help is greatly appreciated shall i try doing a fresh game install or maybe use DDU again and reinstall the drivers?

Also i clocked my 1700 to 3.6ghz and still the same fps don't have my AIO yet so can't go any higher?

leave the 2080 at stock. run timespy from 3d mark and post the results here.

Associate
I can’t see why an eight core cpu isn’t suddenly up to the job?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/3097-destiny-2-launch-cpu-benchmark-ryzen-vs-kaby-lake

These cpu benchmarks show it to average 144fps, which short of upgrading to a four core intel does seem a big improvement over what your getting now?

I dont know how or which part of the game GN tested but thats not what people are getting (including me) in Destiny 2 running on Ryzen 1xxx/2xxx.
Just checked myself and the game is CPU bottlenecked at 70fps in tower and can drop to much less than that when there is a lot of action.
This is on Ryzen 7 [email protected] with 2866 cl14 ram.

zOB6P6L.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Cpu bottleneck in D2. Had the exact same thing moving from a 1080ti to a 2080ti on a 2700x. Even at 1440p my gpu usage was low in certain areas. Tower and Titan were especially bad whilst gpu bound areas such as Dreaming city were much better.

Switching to the 3900x saw a massive improvement, 70-80 in the tower is now over 100 and 65-75 on Titan is now 90+.

EDIT: Quick way of testing is to increase render scale to 150%. If your framerate doesn't drop then you have a CPU limit.

This is exactly what my wife does on her Ryzen 2600/RTX 2080 ITX system (well technically a custom res). Her monitor is 1080p but she runs D2 at 4k effective with a locked 75fps.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
00GqcDz
my-drive
my-drive

Associate
OP
00GqcDz.png

As you can see from the above image this is with a 1080 ti and is a launch benchmark so surely fps would improve over time instead of decline with driver updates :(

somethings not right and im determined to figure it out just updated my chipset drivers so gonna try that now.

ThgbJJl.jpg

Here's the Gears 4 benchmark surely it can't be bottlenecking my GPU by 95% ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom