My new car, again... again

Soldato
OP
It would certainly be a different sight for sure, suspect after a track day he would be needing new disc and pads all round in a car that heavy, but at least 4 people could go round in comfort. :D
Hah yes I'd hate to think of the wear on consumables time on track would create! Interestingly discs and pads are covered under the two year inclusive warranty and service package from Rolls-Royce Provenance...

OcUK Staff
Hah yes I'd hate to think of the wear on consumables time on track would create! Interestingly discs and pads are covered under the two year inclusive warranty and service package from Rolls-Royce Provenance...

See you at the track day then, just tape up the number plates. :D

Man of Honour

Probably some small print somewhere which says "does not cover use on Nordschleife, Donington Park".

(My insurance exemptions exclude them specifically by name :s)

Soldato
OP
Probably some small print somewhere which says "does not cover use on Nordschleife, Donington Park".

(My insurance exemptions exclude them specifically by name :s)
It would be interesting to see. My experience so far is that the reality of the service goes way above and beyond what is written down, and what is written down is not very much. E.g. I reported a rattle from the dash on the Ghost shortly after buying it. Rattles, trim etc. is not covered under warranty. They couldn't replicate it, but anyway stripped the dash down and put padding in and around the joins and touch points. It worked! No charge. The dealership I use have A-list celebrities, Lords and Ladies and royalty as their customers, and it shows in the level of service provided and how it is delivered - which is uncompromisingly professional, but at the same time very intimate, personal and friendly.
That's a lovely car. Can't help but think I'd be scared of parking it!
Hah I do have some reservations still, but no issues so far and I think it will be fine :)

Man of Honour
That's a lovely car. Can't help but think I'd be scared of parking it!

Even on a vehicle that size rear view, let alone 360 camera, takes so much of the hassle/stress out of it. Even so at least personally I will still be researching/Google maps checking parking ahead of time :s

Man of Honour
Even on a vehicle that size rear view, let alone 360 camera, takes so much of the hassle/stress out of it. Even so at least personally I will still be researching/Google maps checking parking ahead of time :s

I know you always like to get your pickup truck into every reply but even I was curious when I saw you'd replied to this one. The Phantom is a full METRE longer than your Nissan Navara, which really isn't that big at all (It's about the size of a conventional large saloon like an SWB 7 Series). If you're google mapping parking ahead of time because you've got a Navara you probably need to chill a bit :D

This thing is so huge that even a long wheelbase Transit is significantly shorter.

Man of Honour
I know you always like to get your pickup truck into every reply but even I was curious when I saw you'd replied to this one. The Phantom is a full METRE longer than your Nissan Navara, which really isn't that big at all (It's about the size of a conventional large saloon like an SWB 7 Series). If you're google mapping parking ahead of time because you've got a Navara you probably need to chill a bit :D

This thing is so huge that even a long wheelbase Transit is significantly shorter.

The Navara isn't the only thing I drive or have driven.

Given the "Even on a vehicle that size" I think inferred I have some idea just how long it is.

(Amusing as it is how triggered the Navara gets people).

As an aside the facelift D40 is less than a metre shorter - it is the same length as the 7 series LWB though it has a smaller turning circle than the 7 series by over a metre.

The Crafters and Sprinters we have a work are around the same length as this Rolls give or take a few cm.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to be nosey now and ask, does someone who purchases a car like this buy outright cash, or is it finance/business etc? If either, which makes more sense?

Soldato
OP
One of the upsides of the Phantom is that it's also a tall car - at 1.64m similar to most medium-sized SUVs like a BMW X3 - and you sit very high in it. It's also very square and boxy and so the corners are predictable. It's actually the height together with the 6m+ length and boxiness that grant the car its imposing stature.
I'm going to be nosey now and ask, does someone who purchases a car like this buy outright cash, or is it finance/business etc? If either, which makes more sense?
The dealer said that it's around 50/50 finance/cash purchases. Which makes most sense is a very individual question. I don't have that much cash to hand as such finance was the only option. If you are later in life and have piles of cash you aren't bothered about investing, then obviously cash makes sense. The APR on the dealer finance was quite reasonable, around 5%.
Personally, I think the Wraith would be the one for me.
The Wraith is very nice, but ultimately it's a Ghost-based car and not the same quality or class as the Phantom - hence the existence of the Phantom Drophead. The differences are hard to get across but as soon as you sit in a Phantom vs. a Ghost-based car, it's immediate.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One of the upsides of the Phantom is that it's also a tall car - at 1.64m similar to most medium-sized SUVs like a BMW X3 - and you sit very high in it. It's also very square and boxy and so the corners are predictable. It's actually the height together with the 6m+ length and boxiness that grant the car its imposing stature.

I far prefer a higher up seating position when dealing with the A303 as well :s

Soldato
...and it shows in the level of service provided and how it is delivered - which is uncompromisingly professional, but at the same time very intimate, personal and friendly.

In a way it seems sad that I'd have to buy a Roller, just to get the level of service I feel I should already get from Audi/BMW/Porsche dealerships.

Going to be waiting a while then :(

Enjoy this fantastic piece of luxury engineering.

Soldato
The dealer said that it's around 50/50 finance/cash purchases. Which makes most sense is a very individual question. I don't have that much cash to hand as such finance was the only option. If you are later in life and have piles of cash you aren't bothered about investing, then obviously cash makes sense. The APR on the dealer finance was quite reasonable, around 5%.

Thanks for the reply. It’s insightful, and seems a fair apr on the sort of car it is.

Just out of interest did you not consider the Bentley Flying Spur first edition at all?

Associate
Brilliant car and congratulations!

I remember seeing Lord Sugars Rolls (and him) a few years back parked outside my office when he had the silver one. The first thing I couldn't help notice the curbed wheels (ouch).

Soldato
OP
In a way it seems sad that I'd have to buy a Roller, just to get the level of service I feel I should already get from Audi/BMW/Porsche dealerships.

Going to be waiting a while then :(

Enjoy this fantastic piece of luxury engineering.
I'd agree with you to an extent. I think the general expectation of service and somebody working in a Rolls-Royce dealership is higher than at an Audi or BMW etc. dealership. However, in reality, it's the dealership itself that determines the level of service more than the brand they represent. I was lucky really that the first RR dealership I went to is one of the best. Their motto is "attention to detail" and it shows. I think it helps they are independent and remain owned and run by the founders and their family, it's not a big glass box chain dealer.
Thanks for the reply. It’s insightful, and seems a fair apr on the sort of car it is.

Just out of interest did you not consider the Bentley Flying Spur first edition at all?
I did, but it didn’t appeal in the same way a Phantom did, and for a number of reasons:

• The Flying Spur is a segment/class below, which shows in the finer details. They’re very well put together cars with very nice materials, but the Phantom is a level above. The Phantom was built to be and is the best of the best. For example, compare the grab handles in the Flying Spur to the Phantom. One is a normal car grab handle, the other is a lovely piece of leather stitched in a strap loop, attached by a sprung metal hinge. There are many elements all over the car like this. The Mulsanne was Bentley’s competitor to the Phantom, which has now been discontinued, and they have tried to fit in the Flying Spur in. The Phantom is double the price of the Flying Spur.

FS-Grab.jpg

Phantom-Grab.jpg

• The Phantom is a much more classically designed and traditional interior. The dash is very simple and elegant, with minimal controls. The Flying Spur is an array of buttons. The interior volume of the Phantom is enormous, the floor is almost flat, the sides almost vertical with lots of glazing. It’s a much more “living room on wheels”, the Flying Spur is a low slung sports car in comparison, and I wanted comfort and luxury above everything else.
  • I prefer the looks of the Phantom. It’s again a very traditional design, it was accused of being ugly when launched but I think has aged very nicely. It has an imperial and stately look, and they’re rare enough on the roads (and virtually unseen outside of West London) to still seem very special.
  • I think the Phantom will be cheaper to own, amazingly. It’s an older car and out of the steepest part of its depreciation curve. The Flying Spur is just at the start, and they sell them in a volume that means that used values will struggle, making a more expensive ownership proposition. That said, a few out of warranty big issues on the Phantom could have me eating my hat!
  • The Flying Spur really excels over the Phantom when it comes to technology - being a much more modern car than the Phantom's 2003 platform - and obviously performance. Much more power, better handling and grip, more dynamic and engaging. However, I wasn't after a gadget showcase - I basically listen to music on the car stereo and that's about it - and I very much wanted refinement, comfort and luxury above all else, and so the performance excellence wasn't a factor. The Phantom is not meant to be fast or dynamic, but is plenty fast enough to make very swift progress.

Soldato

Years ago I had Mk2 -Mk3 Ford Zodiacs which were square and boxy and could park them in a gap a few feet longer than the car.

Now with my Focus I can't see any corner and struggle to park it.

Lover the Roller - great car.

Soldato
Stunning car, always liked them, certainly not for me BUT it's a stunning car simple as that. What I actually like is they haven't gone full modern bling. What I mean by this is, it's not one big mess of LCD screens everywhere it's kept the dashboard classy which I approve of. Tell ya what yes they are long. The standard is massive and that thing... wow, didn't realise they were as long as that...

For me, it's the front of the Phantom... always remember Clarkson driving one on TG years ago across the Humber Bridge... I absolutely loved the shape and what it stood for and it's not really changed 20 years later

Back
Top Bottom