My new Mondeo Zetec - Im so excited - Pics Included

Gilly said:
Wouldn't you be excited at trading in something scuzzy like a Rover or an Alfa for a Lambo or Ferrari? :confused:
Don't be silly. It's just transport for transport. :rolleyes:

This is the reason Matt82 is on my ignore list, he just seems to post completely pointless things which benefit nobody and usually wind everyone up.

His post didn't wind me up, it just made me think he was silly. Whats the point in him posting in a Motors forum if he views cars simply as transport? Many people do this, and thats fine. They want nothing more from a car than to get places in it, great :)

They don't usually frequent forums regarding motors vehicles though :/

My mate bought one of these recently - nice cars, and pretty much identical spec (Black Zetec) and mileage (105k).

Picked it up for £1075, and drove it down to the South of France and back with no issues - from North West Wales :)

[TW]Fox said:
Only in the same way your Golf is. Mondeos are suprisingly great to drive. I thoroughly enjoyed mine and it was far more than 'just transport'.

but at least the golf had reason to be semi excited about. it was an old car that needed work to be done to it, a project to turn something that was barely even transport into new play thing. some people like getting grease under their nails, and this was a chance to really get stuck in, i was definately due a new hobby. the car was also completely different to what i had before it.

i just cannot see whats great about changing plain transport for plain transport, or have i got the wrong end of the stick and has the OP really made a change of Rover to Lambo proportions?

For you, a Mondeo is plain transport just like for me, I can think of few things less tedious and horrid than an old Golf.

But for the original poster, and infact for me 2 and a half year ago, the Mondeo was worth getting excited about. Even the week before it was replaced by my BMW I still loved driving that car.

That and the fact 1.4 Mk3 Astras are shocking cars.

have not driven a 1.4 astra of that vintage, but some how dont see them as that bad or a mondeo as being that good as to be an object of excitment, the gastronomic equivalent of beans on toast.

by the sound of it, i need to go spend some time with an astra to fully get the jist of this thread

either way, the op seems to have got a lotta car for his money. congrats

Last edited:
Matt82 said:
have not driven a 1.4 astra of that vintage, but some how dont see them as that bad or a mondeo as being that good as to be an object of excitment, the gastronomic equivalent of beans on toast.

have you driven a 1.4 astra and a mk2 mondeo? I moved from a 1.6 cavalier to a 2L mondeo and my god the difference is HUGE. I've driven newer "better" cars than my 'deo and the difference is much much less.

Tom.

i have actually driven a 2L mondeo, cannot remember the spec/year/trim level/badging etc.

it seemed like a fine car, fine to the extent that it did the job, but (without wanting to sound bitchy) it just did not come close to excelling in a single area. engine wise it was not particularly quiet, it was coarse when pushed hard, while it did have grip, all controls seemed to be subject to some sort of time delay etc as an every day car for every day transport, im sure the providing it started every day, it was great for getting you somewhere, but i could not find a single ounce of its existance to be excited about.

maybe you are happy with a car that "works", but to me a car has to not only work but entertain also.

Matt82 said:
with all due respect, were you joking when you said you were "so excited"? :confused:

Not really. I can honestly say I meant it.

For myself, it will be the newest car ive ever had and to be honest, the first one of any real substance.

I am not in a position to be spending thousands of pounds on a car like others more fortunate so in my own little world, this is a pretty cool car :)

Also, previously, I am not the type of person to be interested in cars so the fact I am interested in this one is something of an experiance :)

well, don't listen to Matt82 has an irrational hated of mondeos ;) (if it's the same matt as Matt___ on irc?)

welcome to the club :)

paradaspec2_1_orig.jpg

Get it lowered and you'll notice the difference by a MILE handling wise :)

Tom.

Matt82 said:
maybe you are happy with a car that "works", but to me a car has to not only work but entertain also.

Mondeo is perfectably capable of entertaining - like I said, I thoroughly enjoyed driving mine. You must remember that different people like different things - not all of us can gain pleasure from, for example, driving around in rancid decade old Golfs :p

Picked up the little beasty today.

Compared to anything else I have driven, it is a very comfortable drive, the electrically adjustable seats were the subject of much entertainment :)

The seats are a little grubby but am hoping a steam clean will do the trick.. will this work?

Didnt have the radio key thing, so am going to the garage on saturday to pick that up... how much are these to buy?

Im sure i'll have more questions and comments over the next few weeks.

Am going on the Motorway on Saturday... Cant wait as if it is this comfortable for town driving, what will it be like on the motorway?

Hi mate,

I'm the guy who drove the Mondeo to France, as NickXX said.

Let me tell you, it's great to drive long distance. I wasn't too optimistic about comfort levels as I was going to be doing 2000 miles in just over a week (which is a hell of a lot for me!), but I could not get over the fact that it was so damn comfortable! No vibrations, no rattling, nothing, and from a T reg, 109,000 mile car, I was incredibly surprised, seeing as he did indeed pay £1075 for it; 2/3rds of **** all ;)

So surprised infact, I'm going to look at a couple over the next week or so and get me some Mondeo loving :D

EDIT: Yeah, steam cleaning should do the trick :) We also used Vanish Powershot on the one my mate got and it brought the seats and carpets up wonderfully!

Looks tidy enough for the money.

Believe me, you can still get the hairs standing on the back of your neck in a Mondeo. You can get the same in an Astra Mk3, but they stand up with fear rather than adrenaline :D

Dynabol....

If you dont mind me asking, were your seats a little "Saggy"?

Not in an uncomfortable way, just in a way which indicated it had done 100k?

PS - Thanks for the Powershot tip ;)

Seriously, I dont know what the last owner did, but the seats are disgusting :(

Back
Top Bottom