My Prestige PC has finally arrived and I've a couple of questions

Associate
Hi there,
I ordered a customised Infin8 Obelisk system back in mid-September and I'm pleased to say that it finally arrived earlier this month (WOO-HOO), not quite the quoted delivery of 28 days but that's a story for another time :rolleyes:.

I just want to ask a few questions to those amongst this amazing forum who have purchased a full system with a number of custom additions if my experience is the exception or the norm?

The Infin8 Obelisk system uses the awesome Thermaltake Tower 900 case which is quite the beast in a number of ways (comes in at around 27kg when empty) and took three of us to carry it up a flight of stairs lol.
To fit everything into the case a significant amount of the case hardware has to be removed, thanks to its modularity the process is quite simple.
My question is should I have been given the internals that were removed in case I want to make changes further down the line?

While the system's hardware is everything that I wanted and more, the software that was installed has left me somewhat baffled and certainly unable to make the most of its abilities.
Is it par for the course to receive no instruction manual other than the booklet that comes with the motherboard. I had to refer to an online article just to find out how to remove the top panel to access what I would normally refer to as the rear panel.

Maybe i'm wrong to feel this way but considering the actual cost of the system I would have thought some form of reference material / build log would have been included.

Oh yeah I forgot, when did OCUK stop including those little bags of sweets?

Wishing everyone a Happy Holidays....

Neil

Soldato
You paid for the case, so should get all of the case , parts not used etc. Unless it's all been heavily modded ?

If you've paid a lot of cash for it and stuck on programs or how best to tweak , @8 Pack or customer service would be happy to help. Thought it is Xmas !

Associate
OP
Orbitalwalsh,
I appreciate the reply however I've the purchase wasn't the easiest that I've ever experience.
I initially spent from early August through to early September trying to lock down a build that i would be happy with for some time.
I sadly came into an inheritance and after a lot of searching the best S.I's in the business imo i decided to opt for one of OCUK's Prestige Systems the Nebula to include numerous upgrades.
After couple of weeks Daniel and I had managed to come with something quite awesome, so in mid september i called the sales line to place the order.
A week later or so i was informed that there was a problem with stock availability including a number of parts that wouldn't be back instock until October / November.
After 30-40 emails later my Nebula system had morphed into the Infin8 Obelisk system along with the almost double price increase.
Things increased going wrong from this point onwards, I'll list just a few below:
The TT Tower 900 case was shown as being allocated to me but not in stock and wouldn't be until towards mid November.
The EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 that I had requested and paid for was suddenly unable to fit the custom cooling loop, something about fitments were a millimeter or two mis-aligned.
So I was informed that i had to make an alternate choice preferaby an ASUS ROG 2080Ti STRIX ( sorry but i'm not a fan at all ). Oh yeah i was advised by some unknown sales person that the quite obvious disparagy between the two cards that the performance difference was too small to notice ( yeah right lol ).
Then there were a couple of attempts to make the correct didtro plates which took te best part of a month to get right.
When the build team tried to fit my chosen PSU the found out that it was too big so an alternate had to be found.
They tried to OC an i9-9900K to 5Ghz on all cores unsuccessfully 3 times, only ever reached 4.9 stable.
In the end I had to go for an i9-9900KS that managed to be stable at 5.1Ghz.

As mentioned previously I finally received the system early ish December with very little included with the system documentation, my " Welcome to your new system folder " included nothing more that a copy build sheet.

All in all i've spoken to atleaast 5 people throughout this process including:

Daniel -- Prestige Systems
Damien --Sales
and finally
Chris -- Build Manager

I made a point when ordering a cuctom system to ask for any remnants of hardline tubing and any unsed parts to be sent to me but no joy.

If i'm honest i'm not comfortable getting intouch with them again but i can't even work out how to access to cooling software to adjust the fan curve.
Were the little packs of Haribo only included with Ian Parry's signature products????

Anyway rant over i guess,

Here's hoping everyone has a Happy Holidays and may the next year be as good as the last or better

Best Wishes

Neil

Soldato
Hi Neil,

Based on what you've said, it doesn't sound like a great experience, particularly when you're spending a reasonable amount of money.

Did you know you can contact OCUK Customer support via these forums? See here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/ocuk-customer-service.116/

As orbital has said, you bought the case so you should receive all the bits, even if they weren't used with the build, likewise all the other components as well.

I'd raise a ticket in the link above, point them to this thread and give them a chance to respond. OCUK are usually pretty good.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Soldato
Spent what is likely a couple of grand, didn’t get any Haribo?

Closer to 7-8K if he went for the Infin8 Obelisk.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x Infin8 Obelisk - Intel Core i9 9900K @ 4.9GHz Overclocked Watercooled Gaming PC = £6,999.95
    • Case Colour:Thermaltake The Tower 900 Super Tower / Showcase
    • Memory:Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RGB Black (TF1D4
    • Loop 1 Colour:Mayhems Dye Blue 15ml
    • Loop 2 Colour:Mayhems Dye Purple 15ml
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • SATA Solid State Drive:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Storage:WD 2TB Black 7200RPM 64MB Cache Internal Performance Hard Drive (WD2003FZEX)
    • Graphics:2x Watercooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11264MB with RGB & Backplate Configured in SLI
    • Primary Solid State Drive:Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Total: £6,999.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Depending on the options he went for anyway, looks like a massive ripoff to me.

As for the 8 Pack name, it's just licensing.

He's well known for overclocking hardware, so slapping his name on stuff allows them to charge a premium. At best he might advise on some of the components used in certain prebuilds.

Associate
OP
Closer to 7-8K if he went for the Infin8 Obelisk.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x Infin8 Obelisk - Intel Core i9 9900K @ 4.9GHz Overclocked Watercooled Gaming PC = £6,999.95
    • Case Colour:Thermaltake The Tower 900 Super Tower / Showcase
    • Memory:Team Group Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RGB Black (TF1D4
    • Loop 1 Colour:Mayhems Dye Blue 15ml
    • Loop 2 Colour:Mayhems Dye Purple 15ml
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • SATA Solid State Drive:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Storage:WD 2TB Black 7200RPM 64MB Cache Internal Performance Hard Drive (WD2003FZEX)
    • Graphics:2x Watercooled NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11264MB with RGB & Backplate Configured in SLI
    • Primary Solid State Drive:Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Total: £6,999.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Depending on the options he went for anyway, looks like a massive ripoff to me.

As for the 8 Pack name, it's just licensing.

He's well known for overclocking hardware, so slapping his name on stuff allows them to charge a premium. At best he might advise on some of the components used in certain prebuilds.

Happy Holidays to one and all...........

From my very limited knowledge 8Pack's role seems to be split between the following:
R & D,
Building his own seperate range of 8PACK Prestige Systems,
Attending trade shows as the Brand Ambassador for OCUK.

Since Intel brought out the i9-9900KS that runs @ 5Ghz all cores out of the box there is no current need for him to spend time binning the CPU's, that range has been out of stock for the best part of 3-4mths.
Also de-lidding the KS isn't possible atm or so I was told.

Again I can only comment on what I have been told personally, the Infin8 system range is only built by the senior build team who reported to Chris Montgomery the Senior Technical Manager at OCUK.

Just for anyones interest i've included a few links to my system's parts list as the images that I placed earlier have just vanished.

https://www.screencast.com/t/snmQZTdZdf2s

https://www.screencast.com/t/SoKMLH0sm562

https://www.screencast.com/t/XAMqfAvzz0YA

I'm also very sorry that I have no idea how to remove the three " non-imagies below ".
Please be kind as i'm very new to this posting on forum stuff

CRnp7Gp.jpg.png

tzNeLKN.jpg.png

L2kf0qr.jpg.png

Before closing I'd like to apologise for the appalling quality of the images, I'll try harder next time promise :)

Best Wishes to everyone who has taken the time to read and reply to this post...

Neil

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom